• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2017 Genesis G80 AWD 3.8 Problems

jkau121

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I have a few problems with my 2017 Genesis G80 AWD 3.8 with 20,000 miles I was wondering if I could get some feedback on;

1) My center console armrest was really starting to pop and tick (even without resting my arm on it; it's plastic on plastic noise) while accelerating/de-accelerating or taking turns. I'm a big guy (6'5", 400 lbs) so I'm basically fully contacting the armrest and center console with my body, so some amount plastic popping noises is just going to happen as my body shifts against it. But it got really bad. I sprayed some WD-40 in between some of the plastic/vinyl seams/holes at front of the armrest under where that small rubber tray is you can remove and that quieted things down. Is that the best lubricant to use for this type of problem?

2) I have had this car in some harsh places (1.5 years in upstate NY, 1.5 years in west texas, now in Houston, TX) and I've never really washed the car except when the winshield or drivers window got so bad I was having problems seeing. So I never washed the passengers side and I now have hard water stains on the glass and some on the silver trim around the windows. I tried windex, vinegar, and CLR and they do nothing. Recommendations to get these hard water stains off?

3) Every now and then, I get a bad odor from the HVAC for about the 1st 5 seconds when the car starts. Not always. I sprayed this product into the HVAC intake vents on the outside with the fan on high and in-cabin filter remove, but it seems to have done nothing:

A/C Pro Vent and Duct Cleaner

Any suggestions to eliminate the smell?

Last edited:

jkau121

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I have a few problems with my 2017 Genesis G80 AWD 3.8 with 20,000 miles I was wondering if I could get some feedback on;

1) My center console armrest was really starting to pop and tick (even without resting my arm on it; it's plastic on plastic noise) while accelerating/de-accelerating or taking turns. I'm a big guy (6'5", 400 lbs) so I'm basically fully contacting the armrest and center console with my body, so some amount plastic popping noises is just going to happen as my body shifts against it. But it got really bad. I sprayed some WD-40 in between some of the plastic/vinyl seams/holes at front of the armrest under where that small rubber tray is you can remove and that quieted things down. Is that the best lubricant to use for this type of problem?

2) I have had this car in some harsh places (1.5 years in upstate NY, 1.5 years in west texas, now in Houston, TX) and I've never really washed the car except when the winshield or drivers window got so bad I was having problems seeing. So I never washed the passengers side and I now have hard water stains on the glass and some on the silver trim around the windows. I tried windex, vinegar, and CLR and they do nothing. Recommendations to get these hard water stains off?

3) Every now and then, I get a bad odor from the HVAC for about the 1st 5 seconds when the car starts. Not always. I sprayed this product into the HVAC intake vents on the outside with the fan on high and in-cabin filter remove, but it seems to have done nothing:

A/C Pro Vent and Duct Cleaner

Any suggestions to eliminate the smell?
Oh and thanks for any help or thoughts you can guys can provide. I've been a lurker for quite some time.

TinsleyC

Registered Member
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
1) I would not use WD-40, it's a Water Displacement product. I would try some type of leather or plastic protectant spray,

2) Vinegar is good for removing water spot - with a good scrubbing with a soft cloth. I recommend you run your car through a car wash at least once a month.

3) Did you change the AC filter? If not, do that. Make sure system is not set to recirculate old air. Also, if you haven't cleaned the outside of the car, have you cleaned the inside? Remove all interior items and get the interior cleaned and carpets shampooed, it may help (along with changing the filter).

jkau121

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
1) I would not use WD-40, it's a Water Displacement product. I would try some type of leather or plastic protectant spray,

2) Vinegar is good for removing water spot - with a good scrubbing with a soft cloth. I recommend you run your car through a car wash at least once a month.

3) Did you change the AC filter? If not, do that. Make sure system is not set to recirculate old air. Also, if you haven't cleaned the outside of the car, have you cleaned the inside? Remove all interior items and get the interior cleaned and carpets shampooed, it may help (along with changing the filter).
Vinegar did not remove them. Neither did CLR. Any other options?

TinsleyC

Registered Member
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

I'd take it to a professional detailer and have them assess the issue first.

If you want to resolve this yourself, try the following.
Determine if the "waterspot" is material on the surface or actually damage/etching of the glass/trim. Wet and run your finger nail over the damage area.
If material on surface try in order
1) Water
2) Glass cleaner. I recommend Invisible Glass.
3) Rubbing/IsoPropyl alcohol
For the glass, NOT the trim, a new single sided razor blade can be run over the area, but ensure glass is well lubricated with any of the items above and use light pressure. On the glass use newspaper. It is very mildly abrasive and does wonders on glass.

You indicated using CLR with no affect, so it is likely damage/etching of the glass/trim. This will require polishing to remove the damage. I would not attempt to polish out the "silver trim". The paint/coating is thin and polishing would likely make it worse. The following can cause permanent/irreversible damage to glass so use with caution/at your own risk.
1) A paste of baking soda and water.
2) Toothpaste
3) A light car paint polishing compound.
Polish with a microfiber towel BY HAND. A non-scratch (Blue) Scotchbrite could be used, but I would discourage using a harsher "Green" Scotchbrite on glass.

Avoid getting any chemicals (e.g. CLR) on any of the painted or plastic areas.

Last edited:

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Yikes, haven't washed the car since 2017???!!! That NY road salt will be way more trouble than any window hard spots. I'd be washing the car regularly during the winter weather, especially the underside.

As for the window spots, get one of the tougher versions of the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser cleaner pads and soak it in water then gently rub the windows down and I'd bet you will clear away the spots.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums