2018 G80 Sport Fuel type

tcoach00@hotmail.com

Hasn't posted much yet...
Wondering what people are running for fuel in their g80 sports? 90 octane ethanol free or 93 octane with ethanol?
I am running 90 octane ethanol free because I don't want the ethanol gumming up the engine.
Thoughts?

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I am running Premium 92/93 ocatane (depending on gas station) with 10% Ethanol in my 2018 G80 Sport 3.3 twin turbo.
Ethanol will NOT "gum" up the engine. It actually burns cleaner than gasoline and reduces exhaust emissions.

Ethanol pro/cons versus 100% gas (ignoring the political and/or environmental points).
Pro:
P1) Fuel with ethanol is cheaper than pure gas. 100% gas averages +$0.50/gallon above 10% ethanol premium (92/93 octane) gas in my area.
P2) Adding Ethanol is a less expensive way to raise the octane level of fuel. I'll determine 100% gas octane level at my next gas station visit.

Con:
C1) Ethanol is less energy-dense than gasoline resulting in lower fuel economy/performance. Reported reduction in MPG is %3->4%.
C2) Modern cars (post 2001 year) are designed to run up to 10% ethanol. Older (pre 2001) cars had issues with the ethanol drying out and causing decay in older rubber hoses, seals, and diaphragms.

mgg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
It is winter here in WI and I am running regular 87 octane. So far I have not been able to tell any difference. Drove it for several weeks with out putting it in Sport mode. Now that I have discovered Sport mode even with regular gas it is a monster. When summer comes I will try a couple tanks of Premium to see if I can tell any difference in sport mode. The car has plenty of power for me.

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I used to run on 89 octane in my '13 5.0, '15 5.0 and '18 G80 sport, but since this car is tuned, I put 93 octane, as its recommended by tuner.

buellwinkle

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Gad, I am driving a G80 5.0 Ultimate and I would really like to know what Hyundai recommends for this engine ? I am burning Ethanol free Premium fuel... Someone told me I was supposed to use any fuel above 92 octane but I can not find anything in the owners manual about what Hyundai thinks is best... I appreciate any comments ! ! ! James

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Snippets from pages F6->F7 of the 2018 G80 Owners manual...

3.3/3.8 engine
Your new vehicle is designed to use only unleaded fuel having an octane number ((R+M)/2) of 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher.(Do not use methanol blended fuels.)

5.0 engine
Your new vehicle is designed to use only unleaded fuel having an octane number ((R+M)/2) of 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher. For improved vehicle performance, premium unleaded fuel with an octane number ((R+M)/2) of 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher is recommended. (Do not use methanol blended fuels.)

To prevent damage to your vehicle’s engine and fuel system:
  • Never use gasohol which contains methanol.
  • Never use gasohol containing more than 15% ethanol.
  • Never use leaded fuel or leaded gasohol.
  • Never use "E85" fuel.
Your New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover damage to the fuel system or any performance problems caused by the use of "E85" fuel.

buellwinkle

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Thank you... the service lady told me I was spending wasted money on Ethanol free fuel but I am not sure and I was told it would keep my injectors clean without additives ? I only know what I can find out here or from others ! ! !

Fuddy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Top Tier 87 is all I run in my Sport. Runs like a champ. Run the same stuff in my 5.3L pickup, have 197,000 miles on it with no complaints.

buellwinkle

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Thank you, I am not sure what Tip Tier 87 is but it sounds like I can go with Premium unleaded and be safe for now at least. Thank you, I know little about fuels these days... jp

Fuddy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Thank you, I am not sure what Tip Tier 87 is but it sounds like I can go with Premium unleaded and be safe for now at least. Thank you, I know little about fuels these days... jp
Top Tier is gas that’s had detergents added. They list it on the pump, and the page MCC posted is good.

87 is the octane rating. No need for premium according to the manufacturer. If you don’t get Top Tier, you’ll want to run a good fuel additive every time you change oil. That’s what the dealer will do, too.

ctrcbob

Been here awhile...
A couple years ago, I purchased a small kit to test the percentage of ethanol in the gas. I was using 87 octane at various stations. Tested every fill up for a month. Never tested over 6% or less than 2%.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
A couple years ago, I purchased a small kit to test the percentage of ethanol in the gas. I was using 87 octane at various stations. Tested every fill up for a month. Never tested over 6% or less than 2%.
I passed a station today that had ethanol free gas. It was 50 cents more than regular, or about 20%. I'd pay it for a small engine, but not for my car.

buellwinkle

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Top Tier is gas that’s had detergents added. They list it on the pump, and the page MCC posted is good.

87 is the octane rating. No need for premium according to the manufacturer. If you don’t get Top Tier, you’ll want to run a good fuel additive every time you change oil. That’s what the dealer will do, too.
Thank you ! ! !

G-840003

A bigger concern is the corrosive effects of methanol. Of course, ethanol is also corrosive to aluminum components, gaskets and rubber hoses. But methanol is even more so. Both are safe to use in small amounts, but uncontrolled and unregulated mixing can result in concentrations high enough to cause additional wear and damage over time to sensitive gaskets and hoses in the fuel system.

buellwinkle

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I understand the cars built since circa 2000 are fitted to handle the ethanol without damage to the fuel systems etc.... I have just filled my tank with regular unleaded, the savings over the same amount of ethanol free premium was really BIG, about half the cost of the premium I was using.... jp

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
This weekend I visited a local convenience store (Pilot) to purchase 100% Gas (ethanol free) for my lawn mower. I captured cost/octane for all the fuel sold. Cost is in U.S. dollars.
$2.399 Regular 87 Octane 10% ethanol
$2.659 Mid Grade 89 Octane 10% ethanol
$2.799 Regular 87 Octane 0% ethanol (100% gas)
$2.899 Premium 92 Octane 10% ethanol
This gas station and most others state UPTO 10% ethanol. This gas station specifically states they are NOT Top Tier.

I am going to continue using Premium/92 with up to 10% ethanol "Top Tier" in my 2018 G80 3.3TT Sport. I'm favoring the higher octane because of the higher compression/turbo-charged 3.3TT engine. 100% gas would give better performance/fuel economy, but the lower octane may increase risk of knocking/pre-detonation on occasion. I do know modern vehicles compensate/prevent this, but I am more interested in life of engine versus getting the absolute best performance out of the engine.

Averaging 15K miles/year at 20MPG, spending +$375.00USD for Premium/92 is worth it to me for peace of mind. If I can find 92 or better octane in 100% gas ("Blue" 100LL AVGAS ;) ) I'll give it a try, but I think this is unlikely and if found I'd expect to be even more expensive then Premium/92 with ethanol.

IMO there is no downside to ethanol in modern cars other than having less energy density (performance/MPG). Ethanol is actually cleaner burning and emits lowers emissions. But, if I had the Hyundai/Genesis 3.8V6 or 5.0V8 normally aspirated engines, I'd run the Regular/87 with 0% ethanol.

mgg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
You have to do what you think is best. Im running regular 10% max ethanol. The car runs as smooth as can be and I get plenty performance especially in sport mode. I think it is more important to have a plan and stick to it. I noticed when switching from leaded to unleaded and back in my motorcycle it would take 70 to 100 miles for it to recalibrate to the different gas and it ran like sh*t during the recalibration.

buellwinkle

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I have used Ethanol free Premium at the cost of about $4.30 per gallon, I switched too regular unleaded and the car runs fine and at a huge savings for me.. thanks to all of you for your kind advice.... jp

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
IMO there is no downside to ethanol in modern cars other than having less energy density (performance/MPG). Ethanol is actually cleaner burning and emits lowers emissions. But, if I had the Hyundai/Genesis 3.8V6 or 5.0V8 normally aspirated engines, I'd run the Regular/87 with 0% ethanol.
A station near me has no ethanol and the get 50 cents a gallon more for it. I've not tried it so no idea about performance.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.