2019 BMW M5 vs 2019 G70 (the baby m5?)

Toddasaurus

Registered Member
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The Genesis G70: the baby M5 hypothesis....

The new 2019 BMW M5 has one major difference when compared to previous generations: it has AWD.

Weighing in at 4300lbs, and bringing up 600hp and 553ft-lb of torque from its ferocious turbo charged V8, this monster is simply devastating on the track - and on the street. Designed, like all previous M5's, for luxury, comfort, and a ton of performance. This car is mean, and it looks the part, too.

Now, I think it's safe to say that the G70 (3.3 Sport AWD, specifically) simply cannot compete with the new M5. And at essentially half the MSRP, no one would expect it to. That said, I want to talk about similarities between the two, and why we may actually be able to consider the G70 as something like a 'baby M5'.

Before everyone gets all up in arms, hear me out....

AWD
- Both the M5 and G70 use a rear-biased AWD system based on a Magna supplied transfer case that is able to put 100% of torque to the rear wheels. The transfer cases have differences, such as carbon fiber clutch plates in the M5, but are largely similarly designed. Both have a rear LSD, though the M5 has an E-Diff (or "M Differential) that is able to do 100% torque vectoring between each side. Even so, the G70 is no slouch, offering an aggressive multi-plate mechanical LSD instead along with a brake-based torque vectoring system.

Drift mode/RWD mode and TCU software
- Both models are able to disable traction control to allow insane slip angles. The G70 has what Genesis has advertised as a "drift mode", sending something like 97% of power to the rear wheels allowing for some solid power oversteer. The M5 likewise has a RWD mode which completely disconnects the front wheels, combined with being able to disable stability control also allows for extravagant drifting.

Automatic Transmission
- Both cars feature an 8 speed automatic tranny with paddles for manual shifts, and both can hold it in gear as long as you want. Both shift VERY quickly (though the M5 is probably quicker).

Curb Weight
- The M5 weighs in at around 4300lbs. The G70 is just a tick under 3900lbs in Sport trim.

Luxury
- This, of course has some subjectivity to it. Both cars provide an above average level of luxury. Features like premium leather, heated and ventilated seats, soft touch and alcantera trimmed surfaces, HUD, and premium big-name sound systems.

Engine
- The M5 features a dual turbo V8 coming in at 4.4 liters. The G70 has a twin turbo 3.3 liter V6. Both cars are heavy hitters in terms of power, but the M5 certainly packs a bigger punch.

In the end, perhaps you can see a trend here. Both cars are considered luxury sport sedans that do their best not to compromise on anything. They share a similar design ethos in terms of drivetrain and related software. With all of this in mind, I think the G70 could be considered a baby M5. The M5 is like the G70, but scales things up as high as they can go without having to become a dedicated performance-only car. The G70 is the smaller of the two siblings. At half the cost it still keeps the same ideals - AWD luxury performance without sacrifice (given the price).

So what do you think? Is my hypothesis way off base? Of course, this is all pointless semantics; but, perhaps this is just my way of showing I love the G70 and the M5. I, for one, am going to try to bring my G70 as close as I can to M5 levels of performance. It will take a little while, but we'll see how close I get!

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ I can see it. M5 is much roomier in the back though. JB4 in the G70 gets it closer to the M5 performance-wise...still a second off (which is nuts).

COToad

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Castle Rock, CO
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
It seems a little bit of a stretch to me. The G70 has enough competition without comparing it to the M5. I say this with every intention of purchasing a G70 3.3T but the numbers below separate the two vehicles by miles.
I am excited to own one and believe it will hold up well against the new 3 but these two are not comparable except in the most basic idea of every AWD sport sedan based on a rwd platform being similar.

Chad86tsi

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
The G70 compares better to the M3 in every way.

The G80 is a better comp to the M5, but really it's better to compare the G80 to the 550I-xdrive (one step down from the M5). Similar purpose/intent/client/market. The M-5 is the pinnacle of the 5 series, a halo car in it's class. The Genesis line has no pinnacle or "halo" car in it's lineup, and probably doesn't need one to sell it's cars, it simply has different trims.

Toddasaurus

Registered Member
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The G70 compares better to the M3 in every way.

The G80 is a better comp to the M5, but really it's better to compare the G80 to the 550I-xdrive (one step down from the M5). Similar purpose/intent/client/market. The M-5 is the pinnacle of the 5 series, a halo car in it's class. The Genesis line has no pinnacle or "halo" car in it's lineup, and probably doesn't need one to sell it's cars, it simply has different trims.

I agree with you on the G80 vs M5 solely on size, but not for performance. I think the G80 is more designed for comfort, whereas the G70 is a better balance without giving up so much performance. Even so, you bring up another really good point. The M5 really is a Halo car for that segment....the G70, on the other hand, just is what it is.. Touché.

Last edited:

Toddasaurus

Registered Member
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ agreed. but even at that, i'd say the (M)340i is the better comp than the M3. the G70 is an entry level luxury sport sedan with performance aspirations. so is the 340i. the M3 leans much more to the pure performance end of the scale. still livable, but much more raw.

Definitely, the m340i is a much more level comparison to the G70 in terms of target consumer. But, that's not the point of my post. The M5 is a game changer for the M series lineup in that it's AWD - no other M5, or M3 or M2 has had that before! The G70, IMO, has more in common with the M5 - albeit at a significantly lower performance and price bracket. In fact, I think Mr Biermann's fingerprints are all over it. Hence, baby M5 - not a direct competitor, rather it shares much in common akin to a much younger sibling.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
FFS now Golf R owners will compare their cars with a Gallardo!
Let the G70 be a G70.... superiority complex is not very becoming!

dengen

Hasn't posted much yet...
Denver
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
^ agreed. but even at that, i'd say the (M)340i is the better comp than the M3. the G70 is an entry level luxury sport sedan with performance aspirations. so is the 340i. the M3 leans much more to the pure performance end of the scale. still livable, but much more raw.

This is spot on. My next car will be a lease, most likely. G70 at the top of the list. m340 will be compared, as will the c43 and the s4.. maybe tesla 3 too.

Toddasaurus

Registered Member
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Nothing but love bro!
But if we go down this path, we'll attract the wrong kind of crowd!
This is true - I didn't think about the possible consequences of my actions! Haha

nsyedhasan

Registered Member
Toronto
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
This is spot on. My next car will be a lease, most likely. G70 at the top of the list. m340 will be compared, as will the c43 and the s4.. maybe tesla 3 too.
If you are just going for power, Model 3 is very good but otherwise I don't think it is worthwhile. The interior quality trade off is huge.

Starflyer

Hasn't posted much yet...
Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
What a joke in comparing a car with a starting price of 105K with another car at 40K. Well, maybe 5K + with the 3.3 Turbo. Then again, I think it's crazy to take either to the track to run the 1/4 mile in "LAUNCH control".

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
What a joke in comparing a car with a starting price of 105K with another car at 40K. Well, maybe 5K + with the 3.3 Turbo. Then again, I think it's crazy to take either to the track to run the 1/4 mile in "LAUNCH control".
The original post acknowledges the price and differences, and even says it cannot compete and no one would expect it to, then gives you examples and develops the idea. And, you claim it a "joke" by reiterating one of the initial assumptions and the premise he started with. Okay.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.