2019 G70 Dead battery issues

2019G70Fan

Genesis G70
I have a 2019 G70 and twice I have walked out to it on a Sunday only to find the battery dead and needing to be jump started. I know I have not left any interior lights or other items on. A couple times I have seen the messge on screen that reads something like, ‘an item is discharging the battery.’ But nothing is connected to any of the ports/jacks.

Anyone else experience similar issues? the battery is an AC Delco AGM type.

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis G70
I have a 2019 G70 and twice I have walked out to it on a Sunday only to find the battery dead and needing to be jump started. I know I have not left any interior lights or other items on. A couple times I have seen the messge on screen that reads something like, ‘an item is discharging the battery.’ But nothing is connected to any of the ports/jacks.

This is definitely a dealer visit issue

ephone1

Registered Member
I have never had this message, but I have noticed that when I am siting in the car, doing something like messing with my radar detector, I get a battery discharge warning after only about 5 minutes. I don't know if the car is actually measuring battery voltage, or just working on a timer. Like many of these cars, mine sat for months at the docks after it arrived in the US while Genesis got their dealer issues sorted. If I have any hint of an issue when it gets cold here in Michigan, I'll replace with an AGM battery.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis G80

Lou

I have a 2019 G70 NEW, got it with 48 miles i already had to have it jump twice, in 12 days the first time i took it back to the dealer they said nothing was wrong with the battery, they said it may have sat on the lot and the battery was low, and that i only use it as a weekend car and was not driving it enough, so I took it for a long ride, the next weekend needed it jumped again, i will bring it back again, I have had many car NONE did this, has this issue happened to anyone else, would love to know Thanks Lou

Lou

I have the same problem 2019 brand new just got it 2 months ago had to have it jump twice, I brought it back to dealer they said Im not driving it enough, Really it a weekender , so I took it for a 200 mile ride this weekend go to start it and nothing, I will bring it back Tuesday, but this time at least i can say this is happening to many

rmod

Registered Member
Genesis G70
I have the same problem 2019 brand new just got it 2 months ago had to have it jump twice, I brought it back to dealer they said Im not driving it enough, Really it a weekender , so I took it for a 200 mile ride this weekend go to start it and nothing, I will bring it back Tuesday, but this time at least i can say this is happening to many
I had this issue as well when the car (2.0T) was new. Stopped at a red light (start stop) and it failed to start back up. Ended up at the dealer, spent a week there with some back and forth saying that they could not find the issue and were not able to reproduce the failure. When I asked them to load test the battery, they finally said that it was a bad battery replaced it. Runs fine ever since. I shorted out the auto start stop switch and it now remains permanently disabled. (f***in hate the start stop system)
Having said that, I am not driving everyday due to this COVID situation and have noticed that the battery drains pretty fast compared to the other car that we have. I take it for a spin every week and also put the battery on charge every 4 days or so.

Lou

I had this issue as well when the car (2.0T) was new. Stopped at a red light (start stop) and it failed to start back up. Ended up at the dealer, spent a week there with some back and forth saying that they could not find the issue and were not able to reproduce the failure. When I asked them to load test the battery, they finally said that it was a bad battery replaced it. Runs fine ever since. I shorted out the auto start stop switch and it now remains permanently disabled. (f***in hate the start stop system)
Having said that, I am not driving everyday due to this COVID situation and have noticed that the battery drains pretty fast compared to the other car that we have. I take it for a spin every week and also put the battery on charge every 4 days or so.
Thanks for your help. What to you mean put on charge it just not make sense there are plenty of people that only use there car as a weekender. I was thinking of just getting a portable jumper and jump it my self. Also not to comforting if you leave the car at the airport for a week if you are away on a business trip. That’s for you help. Lou

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis G70
Do you guys both have 2.0s? I have a 3.3 and just left it for 6 days without driving; got back in and everything was fine. I even have a dashcam plugged into my cigarette lighter 24/7

rmod

Registered Member
Genesis G70
Thanks for your help. What to you mean put on charge it just not make sense there are plenty of people that only use there car as a weekender. I was thinking of just getting a portable jumper and jump it my self. Also not to comforting if you leave the car at the airport for a week if you are away on a business trip. That’s for you help. Lou
I've got no issues with the car starting after the bad battery was replaced. I put it on charge as a preventive measure.
I think the battery that is used is CMF90L-DIN....at least it looks like that in my car (2.0T Elite). It does not have any model info on it just the blue Hyundai battery stickers all around. Not sure who makes these batteries for Hyundai.

In any case, it should not go dead in a week unless there is some issue with parasitic draw or a faulty battery / charging circuit.
If under warranty, just take it to the dealer and let them figure it out. If not, start with load testing the battery and go from there.

tarhoosier

Registered Member
Charlotte
Genesis G70
Those of you with this issue, are you jumping and charging using the underhood connections or removing the spare and going direct?
I ask because the underhood fuse clip for positive connection just looks flimsy and last week I checked the battery for the first time and the effort to remove everything to access it directly must be why they made some other method for jumping. The battery in my other car had discharged somewhat with no use for 2-3 weeks, though it started after a few cranks which led me to investigate the G70 just to know what I might be in for.

rmod

Registered Member
Genesis G70
Those of you with this issue, are you jumping and charging using the underhood connections or removing the spare and going direct?
I ask because the underhood fuse clip for positive connection just looks flimsy and last week I checked the battery for the first time and the effort to remove everything to access it directly must be why they made some other method for jumping. The battery in my other car had discharged somewhat with no use for 2-3 weeks, though it started after a few cranks which led me to investigate the G70 just to know what I might be in for.
I use the under-hood spot to charge. I have not yet needed to jump start the battery yet.
Do not charge the battery directly at the terminals. If you have to, then use the chassis as -ve. There is a warning in the service manual regarding this:

Batt02.PNG

Lou

Triple A used the clip to jump But this is a joke a new car should never have this problem. I took it to the service dept they check the battery. They said it was showing good no problem. I have had many cars. Never. Never had anything like this. If it happens again. I will bring it back but this time will not be so understanding. I really do like the car. But come on. This is not normal

rmod

Registered Member
Genesis G70
Triple A used the clip to jump But this is a joke a new car should never have this problem. I took it to the service dept they check the battery. They said it was showing good no problem. I have had many cars. Never. Never had anything like this. If it happens again. I will bring it back but this time will not be so understanding. I really do like the car. But come on. This is not normal
I understand. I've been there. When I had my failure, I had the auto-hold enabled and auto start stop enabled, which made it impossible for me to even push the car to the curb as the auto-hold did not let go since the car did not start. So the car was a sitting duck in the middle lane. the 4 way flashers were of little help as the battery was almost dead and they were barely visible. I called 911 after a F150 almost rammed the car from behind. The cop stood behind the car with his lights till the tow truck showed up. Left a sour taste. After that bought an emergency flasher from amazon, put some Li-Ion batteries in it and have left it in the trunk just in case this happens again.

Pic2.jpg

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis G70
I'm sorry you guys are having trouble with the battery. Supposedly, the 2.0 has an even bigger battery than the 3.3 because of the auto start/stop feature. Either way, I agree completely - a new car should not have this problem. You should be able to leave the car without use for several days without a problem. I get so irritated when dealers basically shrug their shoulders with stuff like this and say everything checks out fine. At least try something, right???

For the record, I've left my 3.3 sitting in my parking spot for a full week and it started right up when I got in. I've never had a problem with the battery draining.

My wife's WRX did this... I replaced the battery twice, and finally replaced the alternator. Before replacing the alternator, every time we didn't use it for a few days the battery would be so weak it could barely start, and often it couldn't even turn over. It was a 2014, we bought it in 2015. Even this past winter it was beginning to have that same pathetically weak crank each time we tried to start it up... Good riddance, that damn car. We sold it just over a month ago. Lol.

Last edited:

G-746738

I just bought a 2019 G70 3.3T a few days ago. Drove it quite a bit then woke up this morning and completely dead. I didnt leave anything on, so I am super confused. I have a service appointment today for some brake shutter/pulsation, so I'll ask about it.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums