2019 G70 Headlight Low Visibility- Any Way to Fix It?

rweld

Registered Member
Hey guys,
I just recently purchased a 2019 G70 3.3T and am loving it. Although, I am having a few issues. One of them being the headlight visibility is extremely low. I spoke with the local dealership about it and they said it cannot be fixed because the computer will automatically re level itself. I find that very hard to believe since the computer had to be programed in the first place. I'm going in for an appointment next weekend and thought I'd tried to find some info on resolutions that have been used for this issue that I could discuss with them.
Has anyone else had this issue before and what did you do to fix it?
I feel very unsafe driving at night because I can't see anything! I've also had other drivers flash their headlights on me. Probably because they thought my lights weren't on?

BadTrainDriver

Registered Member
Powell, OH
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hey guys,
I just recently purchased a 2019 G70 3.3T and am loving it. Although, I am having a few issues. One of them being the headlight visibility is extremely low. I spoke with the local dealership about it and they said it cannot be fixed because the computer will automatically re level itself. I find that very hard to believe since the computer had to be programed in the first place. I'm going in for an appointment next weekend and thought I'd tried to find some info on resolutions that have been used for this issue that I could discuss with them.
I feel very unsafe driving at night because I can't see anything! I've also had other drivers flash their headlights on me. Probably because they thought my lights weren't on?

One of the first things I do during initial research on a vehicle is check the various IIHS ratings. They even rate headlight performance, FYI.
The G70 has two different headlight systems. LED projector, and halogen projector. IIHS rates the LED as "good", which is the top rating, and the halogen as "poor", the lowest rating.

If you have the LED projectors, and you think the headlights are not good...you may just be getting old. And I don't mean that as a cut to you, as night time vision dropped drastically with age. On the other hand, if you have the halogen projector, you're right, they probably suck.

2020 Genesis G70 4-door sedan

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hey guys,
They may not be working properly, despite what the stupid dealer says. If they are that bad, try another dealer.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It sounds like your headlights are doing the same thing as mine. As in, they have such a sharp cut-off to avoid shining into oncoming traffic and/or blinding other drivers from behind.. But the problem with this is that it seems like the light pattern is angled low, and you can't see quite as far ahead as you would like.

This can be adjusted. There are adjustment bolts on the backside of the headlight housing. 2 for each housing, one bolt angles the light up or down, and the other bold angles the housing left or right.

Yes the headlights are auto leveling, but adjusting the housing will allow them to aim higher or lower. Your dealership kind of sounds like a bunch of lazy jerks, similar to mine. Hopefully they just are uninformed on this specific thing, and are otherwise helpful.

I have not adjusted my headlights yet, but I'm planning on angling them ever so slightly upwards so I can actually see further than 30 feet ahead of me when driving at night.

mrcleeaan

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I had the same issue and was able to make adjustments and haven't had any issues of it adjusting back. The leveler is located on the rear suspension, the dealership doesn't know what they are talking about. Here is a screenshot from a video I recorded on a night drive after I made adjustments.

Screenshot_20200424-213431_Video Player.jpg

I'll try to provide more details in the morning but I pretty much read and followed what they did in the following link.

How To Adjust Headlight Beam Height

rweld

Registered Member
All super helpful! I will look into these options.
Glad I'm not the only one out there with this problem.

Thanks so much everyone :)

videopho

Huey Gunner
DFW TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I had the same issue and was able to make adjustments and haven't had any issues of it adjusting back. The leveler is located on the rear suspension, the dealership doesn't know what they are talking about. Here is a screenshot from a video I recorded on a night drive after I made adjustments.

View attachment 28554

I'll try to provide more details in the morning but I pretty much read and followed what they did in the following link.

How To Adjust Headlight Beam Height

Did you use the 12" long Phillip screwdriver to do this?
I went to the Stingerforum site. Some argued they had success with or w/o the screw. Some argued they had to remove the airbox to gain access to the 12mm nut.
I want to do this adjustment myself simply the High Beam Assist aka HBA seems to work intermittently or inconsistently with our car.

mrcleeaan

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Did you use the 12" long Phillip screwdriver to do this?
I went to the Stingerforum site. Some argued they had success with or w/o the screw. Some argued they had to remove the airbox to gain access to the 12mm nut.
I want to do this adjustment myself simply the High Beam Assist aka HBA seems to work intermittently or inconsistently with our car.
Yes, I used a long Phillips screwdriver. From what I remember, removing the air box won't help for our cars. Also, what type of HBA issues are you having? There is another thread that talks about this where it works best in very low light conditions and on the highway.

videopho

Huey Gunner
DFW TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yes, I used a long Phillips screwdriver. From what I remember, removing the air box won't help for our cars. Also, what type of HBA issues are you having? There is another thread that talks about this where it works best in very low light conditions and on the highway.

HBA looks great on paper as I did a couple trial runs last night with HBA "on".
It seemed to work erratically when the car was over 40ish mph, not 25 as specified.
It could very well be where I was driving around with too much street lighting so the HBA seemed to confuse?
As for the headlights aiming at a very low angle which makes driving around here is downright dangerous as I see joggers and casual walkers make the street crossing.
I am at the age where every good visibility is needed and as fast as this car can go you also need time to react. Not being able to seeing clearly 100 ft and beyond even at lower speed to me is unacceptable.
I already ordered a long 12" Phillip type screwdriver for this adjustment job.
What trim is your G70 BTW?

Last edited:

tarhoosier

Registered Member
Charlotte
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
There was a discussion about this some months ago here and the assist portion will be defeated by ambient lighting, house lights, street lights, road sign reflection, perhaps even bright moonlight. I noticed it on a quiet dark-ish city street and as I passed an infrequent street light the beams reached further and then as they reflected from a stop sign in the distance they returned to normal. There were a few road humps and as I went over a road hump there was a change. Not sure why that was. Generally the consensus was that it is for a dark highway and defaults when another car is coming or proceeding in front of the G70. Other environments provide fewer opportunities for it to engage.

mrcleeaan

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
HBA looks great on paper as I did a couple trial runs last night with HBA "on".
It seemed to work erratically when the car was over 40ish mph, not 25 as specified.
It could very well be where I was driving around with too much street lighting so the HBA seemed to confuse?
As for the headlights aiming at a very low angle which makes driving around here is downright dangerous as I see joggers and casual walkers make the street crossing.
I am at the age where every good visibility is needed and as fast as this car can go you also need time to react. Not being able to seeing clearly 100 ft and beyond even at lower speed to me is unacceptable.
I already ordered a long 12" Phillip type screwdriver for this adjustment job.
What trim is your G70 BTW?
Before you order that 12", check the diameter of the hole. I know I had to use a much smaller diameter Phillips than I would have thought.

videopho

Huey Gunner
DFW TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It's a size #2 or .24" diameter.
I hope it fits and I know my other #2 did fit but unfortunately not "long" enough or what she said. :(

Last edited:

videopho

Huey Gunner
DFW TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
This came yesterday from Amazon.
Very well made material and it has magnetic tip.
Anyway I could not have the headlight beaming angle adjusted last night simply there was a huge storm dropping down from Oklahoma so I decided to wait so I got up very early on the morning to do it,
Parked the car roughly 10 ft away from the double garage door.
Note that most driveways have small slope angle to the door and mine is no difference.
Marked the stocked angle with a piece of tape at the top of the light on the door.
Using this nice long Phillip I was able to turn CW and brought both headlights to roughly 10" taller than the stocked marker.
And marked the newly adjusted beam angle with another piece of tape on the door.
Went for a test drive.
Voila!
With previous stocked. I could only see roughly 40 ft out.
With new adjustment angle I now can see roughly 80-100 ft out and the projected light quality is still excellent.
This is what should have been as the car left the factory.
In my 7 years owning the r-spec I never had to touch the headlights (HID). It worked perfectly right out of the dealership parking lot from day one.
And I also checked HBA feature and it seems to work as usual.
Will see if I do get flashed by other motorists on the opposite direction.

Attachments

• 12inc.jpg
    12inc.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

mrcleeaan

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
That's great. After I made my adjustments, I checked to see if they would be aimed too high for oncoming traffic. I parked out on the street with the lights on, walked about 70 feet in front and crouched down to height as if I was sitting in a car and looked straight at my headlights to see if they were too blinding.

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
For reference to headlight aiming and leveling....

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Alright, adjusted mine. Process was pretty dang easy once I figured out how to actually reach the adjustment bolts.

At first I kept trying to find a screwdriver that was both long enough, but also not too thick to be able to fit down the adjustment guide. After finally finding a phillips thin enough, I found that it was actually too thin to be able to grab onto the adjustment teeth. Lol. So, I decided to just get at the bolts with an open ended wrench instead.

Here are the adjustment screw holes/guides...
IMG_20200429_193720.jpg

Here is the Up/Down adjustment bolt....
IMG_20200429_193835__01.jpg

You can get to the bolt through the access panel located in the wheel well. Just pop off the plastic rivet, and pull out the panel...

IMG_20200429_193910.jpg
IMG_20200429_193953__01.jpg

13mm wrench seemed to fit for me.
IMG_20200429_194217.jpg
IMG_20200429_194229.jpg

Loosen (turn counter clockwise) the bolt to raise each headlight beam, tighten (turn clockwise) the bolt to lower the headlight beam. I had to use the open ended side to turn the bolt, and had to flip it back and forth to loosen as there isn't much room to turn it.

Parked up close to a fence as best I could (and no, the parking spot is not perfectly level, but it doesn't really matter that much), then taped the hot spots in the beam...

IMG_20200429_195109.jpg
IMG_20200429_195116.jpg

Adjusted to just a little bit higher...
IMG_20200429_195437.jpg
IMG_20200429_195444.jpg

Tested it out and pointed my car's lights at a parked car (Mustang) a ways down the road (a level road), and the lights didn't get up into the windshield at all.

In the end, adjustment was pretty dang easy. Strongly recommend doing this if your headlights are dangerously low like mine, and a few others on this site.

videopho

Huey Gunner
DFW TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Todd, your post adjustment beam looks pretty high up to me as compared to mine.
Did you do some test drive at night time yet?
The pics taken looks like day time to me.
And I see that you also get the CAI installed. What is it if you don't mind tellingus a bit about it.

Last edited:
The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners