2019 G80 Sport Creaking Rear Deck

Thread starter #1

whitey16

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Hi Guys,

So in September I bought a 2019 G80 Sport (one of the first in Canada... YAY!) Right from the factory the passenger rear door handle would not open the door, it would flop around almost as if it wasn't connected to anything. Upon bringing the car to the dealer they told me that it in fact wasn't connected to anything and the handle wasn't linked to the cable that opens the door. Quick and easy fix (I was out of the dealership in less than an hour).

I also noticed from brand new that there was a slight creaking noise happening from the back of the car somewhere, I didn't think anything of it because I usually drive with the music on and when the volume is anywhere above 5 you can't hear it. Well now I have a new girlfriend I frequently talk to on the phone and when its dead quiet in the car in-between talking the noise is rather loud... It's beginning to drive me insane!

I've heard about the Pano sunroof in the car creaking a bunch if it isn't greased properly but I don't think the noise is coming from the roof. It sounds like it's somewhere around the rear deck (where the speakers are). It also could be coming from where the glass meets the trunk of the car. It's impossible to tell while driving where exactly it's coming from.

I REALLY hope this will be the last of the issues I have with this thing... Has anybody else experienced a "creak" coming from back there.

Thanks.

bubbaG80Sport

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Tennessee
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I have recently started hearing a similar noise from the rear deck on my 2018 G80 Sport purchased Feb 2018 with 15K miles on it right now. Noise is intermittent and sounds a like a squeaky lid on Styrofoam cooler.

I’m not sure if it’s time/miles and/or the colder weather that is contributing to the noise. The noise is louder and more frequent when outside temperature is colder (i.e. <45F, at night or been parked outside for some time).

The noise occurs over uneven roads/speed bumps. It does not occur at rest or at highway (smooth) speeds. Like white16 I started noticing this noise when I got my new girlfriend and I don’t listen to the "radio" as much with her in the car.

I cleaned, greased and tightened reachable bolts on sunroof, but no change. I do think the noise is more around the rear window.

Last night, after noise occurred, I did press/try to move rear window (after parking car 😉) but was not able to duplicate noise.

My options are:
  1. Look into further
  2. Take to dealer
  3. Get rid of girlfriend and listen to radio 😉

WPB

Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
This might help:
4. Put down rear armrest. Open trunk pass-through. Get in trunk with flashlight. Have girlfriend drive in way to reproduce sound.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
This might help:
4. Put down rear armrest. Open trunk pass-through. Get in trunk with flashlight. Have girlfriend drive in way to reproduce sound.
dude I can't even get my arm through the pass through, much less head and upper body. LOL.

maybe a 5 year old can crawl through, but not a full grown adult. .

WPB

Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Geez! Didn't know the sport model has no trunk lid. As is often said "you learn something new everyday." Now I understand why there are complaints about no fold down rear seat backs.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Geez! Didn't know the sport model has no trunk lid. As is often said "you learn something new everyday." Now I understand why there are complaints about no fold down rear seat backs.
there is a trunk lid lol. but the pass through is only like 10" x 16" or some such.. I took your statement to me lay in the trunk from the back seat through the pass through not crawl into the trunk from the back (the way you worded it I guess), but technically that is highly illegal and very dangerous to do in a moving car. not something I would ever do.

if the rear seats folded down, then yeah easy to do from the back seat, and a hell of a lot safer.

phil1980

Getting familiar with the group...
Does your G80 have fold down rear seats? My 2015 Hyundai Genesis and 2018 G80 Sport have identical rear seat set up and pass-through window.

phil1980

Getting familiar with the group...
I've heard about the Pano sunroof in the car creaking a bunch if it isn't greased properly but I don't think the noise is coming from the roof. It sounds like it's somewhere around the rear deck (where the speakers are). It also could be coming from where the glass meets the trunk of the car. It's impossible to tell while driving where exactly it's coming from.
I'm almost certain it's sunroof assembly. It comes from the top of the driver's side rear window region around the roof. Have it on mine. Outside humidity changes the severity of the sound. You can easily replicate it by slowly driving on an inclined surface with the front right wheel making car's chassis to flex.

WPB

Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
1. No, my G80, and as far as I know, all G80's do not have fold down seats.

2. As Mr. Incredible has pointed out having someone ride in the trunk is unsafe, I change my suggested method to try to find the source of the "creak" to putting the girlfriend in the trunk.

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I'm almost certain it's sunroof assembly. It comes from the top of the driver's side rear window region around the roof. Have it on mine. Outside humidity changes the severity of the sound. You can easily replicate it by slowly driving on an inclined surface with the front right wheel making car's chassis to flex.
I have a similar creak from the roof sides in a 2015 RWD 3.8 Ultimate. It happens when the car is on an uneven surface and the body twists. Has anyone had this repaired under warranty?

Thread starter #13
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Yes, for me whenever I enter a Plaza or go up a steeper driveway I always hear a slight creak coming from the pano sunroof, but it only seems to happen one time with the flex of the chassis of the car and doesn't do it ever on a flat surface. Im still 95% sure it's coming from the rear glass / rear deck of the car. The temperature DEFINITELY affects the severity of the sound. On freezing cold days it is extremely noticeable (even with the music on).

At this point I think I'm going to take it to the dealer and have them check it out. I just want to make sure I know what it could be before I bring it.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.