2019 Genesis G70 Named Finalist for North American Car of the Year

Thread starter #1

Genesis Motors

Genesis Motors Forum
Staff member
Palm Beach, Florida
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)

LOS ANGELES, Calif., November 28, 2018 – Today, the 2019 Genesis G70 was named a top-three finalist for 2019 North American Car of the Year (NACTOY). This is the first time that a Genesis model has been nominated to the most selective round of NACTOY judging and testing. Earlier in the year, G70 was named one of 14 semi-finalists; the winner will be announced at the North American International Auto Show this coming January.

“We are thankful to the NACTOY jurors for recognizing the inherent qualities of the G70,” said Manfred Fitzgerald, Executive Vice President and Global Head of the Genesis Brand. “We are also delighted to see such a dynamic product resonate well with our clientele across the world.”

“We are humbled by the NACTOY jurors’ recognition of the G70 at a very important time for Genesis in the United States,” said Erwin Raphael, Executive Director of Genesis Motor America.

NACTOY jurors, composed of an independent panel of journalists and analysts based in the United States and Canada, have recognized top cars, trucks, and utility vehicles since 1994. This year’s jury of 54 represents legacy newspapers and magazine experts, broadcast veterans, digital columnists, and freelancers.

The 2019 Genesis G70 luxury sport sedan resets benchmarks and expectations in its class for the holistic integration of leading performance, refined luxury, and aerodynamic style. G70 is the third of six new Genesis models to debut by 2021 and the final sedan of the lineup. As the first Genesis model in the highly competitive entry-level luxury segment, G70 outperforms legacy luxury sport sedans with driver-focused performance.

PD705

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Impressive yes! But Genesis misspelling NACOTY as NACTOY in the press release... Not very impressive :oops:
NACTOY is the correct organization name - North American Car and Truck of the Year. Under this overall banner, they hand out three awards:

North American Car of the Year (NACOTY)
North American Truck of the Year (NATOY)
North American Utility Vehicle of the Year (NAUVOY)

So, NACTOY hands out NACOTY.

PD705

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks for clearing that up @PD705 ! Acronym soup... :) I'm also glad Genesis didn't step in it again! (y)

Edit: You have to admit though, this doesn't sound right: "G70 was named a top-three finalist for 2019 North American Car of the Year (NACTOY)". Shouldn't this have stated NACOTY?
I don't disagree, which is why I may or may not have made that exact edit in my Canadian version of the press release... But still, the group does prefer to be referred to by NACTOY, and generally look to have the three awards under the banner referred to under the "parent" name.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.