2019 new thread...1st Gen custom pics!!

Codygfl

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Hello everyone,

I just ordered ark lowering springs for my 4.6 sedan.
Do you think I could run 18x8.5 or 18x9 on 235/40/18RR
Trying to figure best square set up.
Thanks

Cali Gen

Registered Member
Bay Area, California
Genesis Model Type
Hello everyone,

Thanks
Depends on offset but I dont see hownyoubwouldnhave any problem with either of those set ups. I run 20x9 235/35 20x10 275/30 on storm springs no issue with rub and clears everything

Flarfignewton

Hasn't posted much yet...
Pittsburgh, PA
Genesis Model Type
Hello everyone,

Thanks
You'll want to run 235/50R18 which is the stock size on the factory 18s. A 40 series sidewall would be much shorter and look funny along with your speedometer reading fast. But yes that wheel size will be fine, I'm running 18x9.5 +25 offset square. A little rub on big bumps but no issues otherwise. Want to roll the fenders at some point to fix that.

As far as the brake debates goes the Brembos rotors are 340mm in diameter and at least on my 2009 4.6 diameter is 330mm in front. At least that's according to what my research is telling me. However the pistons on the Brembos calipers are all 42mm whereas on the 4.6 you have a 42.8 and a 48.1 on both inside and outside. I don't know whether the fronts would be an upgrade but the rears are no doubt.

Cali Gen

Registered Member
Bay Area, California
Genesis Model Type
You'll want to run 235/50R18 which is the stock size on the factory 18s. A 40 series sidewall would be much shorter and look funny along with your speedometer reading fast. But yes that wheel size will be fine, I'm running 18x9.5 +25 offset square. A little rub on big bumps but no issues otherwise. Want to roll the fenders at some point to fix that.

As far as the brake debates goes the Brembos rotors are 340mm in diameter and at least on my 2009 4.6 diameter is 330mm in front. At least that's according to what my research is telling me. However the pistons on the Brembos calipers are all 42mm whereas on the 4.6 you have a 42.8 and a 48.1 on both inside and outside. I don't know whether the fronts would be an upgrade but the rears are no doubt.
There is literally almost nothing to roll on our fenders.. from the factory they basically come rolled..

You can flare your fenders but that looks so trashy imo.. might as well go wide body if you had to go that route

Last edited:

Flarfignewton

Pittsburgh, PA
Genesis Model Type
I'll probably just leave it alone then. Doesn't really bother me as it's only big bumps. I just wish the rear springs on BCs were an inch or two longer.

66nexus

Been here awhile...
^Holy crap that is PERFECT to me. Not too much...not too little...just right.

RemyBluePearl

Registered Member
SoCal
Genesis Model Type
Yea that is perfect and clean. I would do it but didn’t want to spend 5,6k on body work and re painting doors, fender, bumper etc... bought air ride and wheels instead lol

DaNooch

Registered Member
Charlotte, NC
Genesis Model Type
I would do it but didn’t want to spend 5,6k on body work and re painting doors, fender, bumper etc... bought air ride and wheels instead lol

Honestly those fender flares are almost identical and makes our cars look like a special version AMG or any DTM vehicle really. Makes it look very German..kinda CLK63 black series..

I'ts bad@ss don't get me wrong?!! I just want to take my gen1 more the VIP/Executive treatment. Minus all the stupid crap they actually do to the interiors of VIP cars in Asia. (Well I should say modifications in that scene that are very popular, but I hate). lol

I'm going "sports sedan" for performance and handling etc..But, She already looks the VIP part from the factory, just need to accent that to pop it off.. she's gonna get some 20's dropped prob on Ark maybe storm? haven't decided, I want the softest ride of the two, but no one really mods our cars? So finding reviews and answers, how too's, very limited options, it's hard being a sedan owner!!

Last edited:

DaNooch

Registered Member
Charlotte, NC
Genesis Model Type
Well when the size of disc decreases, the force needed to stop the vehicle increases so the pressures (clamping force of calipers) need to be increased. But vice versa is true as well that youll need less clamping force if the radius of disc increases.

Now I have not researched the sizes and do not want to do the math because I will be lacking all kinds of data and would have to make up constants so it would still be a guess.. See there are so many variables that effect the braking ability, pressures, disc size radius AND Thickness. Pad material, coefficients etc etc..

So what I will tell you going off the specs you quoted is.. A 10mm increase in disc size (going to the coupe brembo) will not produce more stopping power enough to make up for the lack of clamping force the brembo coupe calipers have vs. your larger piston staggered sedan calipers.. The sedan calipers can provide more force and if the thickness of the coupe rotors is smaller then you are really hurting performance big time and the rotor will overheat and warp. (This is all in my head)

And I tried to explain it earlier but the rear brakes are such a small small part of your braking force due to weight transfer, brake dive, and physics. You may need a bias box to limit pressure to the rear calipers or else every time you even tap the pedal the rears will lock.. idk??

What I'm saying is you will notice no improvement, and more than likely you will loose a small amount of braking force. you're potentially adding unsprung weight.with the larger rears. But I imagine you wouldn't notice if you don't use your brakes all the time for high speed developers etc..

Basically why spend (at a minimum) around a grand for brakes that are no improvement over stock and potentially worse? With that grand you're far better off just getting one of the real big brake kits for our sedans Or at a min, just get quality slotted and vented performance rotors and an aggressive street ceramic or Carbon Fiber pad. It will stop far better..I'd bet on it..

The offset piston size on the gen sedan calipers are better any ways cause that ensures even inside and outside rotor and pad wear.

It's just a name and it's factory.. think of it like a car that comes with a Bose or a lexicon stereo system like ours.. is it nice? Hell yes! Is it far better than what most drivers have? Hell yes!! But if you ripped all of that factory Bose or Polk or lexicon etc..shitty paper speakers with the cheapest aftermarket stereo equipment it will blow the Bose factory systems away!!

Same thing for the "Brembo" brakes.

DaNooch

Registered Member
Charlotte, NC
Genesis Model Type
Well then!! Thanks for the input. Yea being in California emissions is a real big thing so going that route might not happen. But I did purchase the 4.6L magnaflow exhaust system and that bolted right up no adjustments needed. I just had to cut the tips off since they didn’t fit through the exhaust holes and I didn’t want to cut the bumper open since I like the flush “sporty” look
I forgot to say in my reply that yes you living in Cali there is no way in hell you could put headers on and pass even the visual exam let alone the smog tests from the Nazi's.... I mean from the C.A.R.B..

Because any header removes your primary cats. I'm checking into it. Now I've got an e-mail out to Ark on weather the coupe 3.8 downpipes to cat back is a direct fit.. im pretty sure it is but I want to see what they say first. I will let you all know.. vivid racing already responded saying they have no idea.. lol

Flarfignewton

Pittsburgh, PA
Genesis Model Type
Well when the size of disc decreases, the force needed to stop the vehicle increases so the pressures (clamping force of calipers) need to be increased. But vice versa is true as well that youll need less clamping force if the radius of disc increases.

Now I have not researched the sizes and do not want to do the math because I will be lacking all kinds of data and would have to make up constants so it would still be a guess.. See there are so many variables that effect the braking ability, pressures, disc size radius AND Thickness. Pad material, coefficients etc etc..

So what I will tell you going off the specs you quoted is.. A 10mm increase in disc size (going to the coupe brembo) will not produce more stopping power enough to make up for the lack of clamping force the brembo coupe calipers have vs. your larger piston staggered sedan calipers.. The sedan calipers can provide more force and if the thickness of the coupe rotors is smaller then you are really hurting performance big time and the rotor will overheat and warp. (This is all in my head)

And I tried to explain it earlier but the rear brakes are such a small small part of your braking force due to weight transfer, brake dive, and physics. You may need a bias box to limit pressure to the rear calipers or else every time you even tap the pedal the rears will lock.. idk??

What I'm saying is you will notice no improvement, and more than likely you will loose a small amount of braking force. you're potentially adding unsprung weight.with the larger rears. But I imagine you wouldn't notice if you don't use your brakes all the time for high speed developers etc..

Basically why spend (at a minimum) around a grand for brakes that are no improvement over stock and potentially worse? With that grand you're far better off just getting one of the real big brake kits for our sedans Or at a min, just get quality slotted and vented performance rotors and an aggressive street ceramic or Carbon Fiber pad. It will stop far better..I'd bet on it..

The offset piston size on the gen sedan calipers are better any ways cause that ensures even inside and outside rotor and pad wear.

It's just a name and it's factory.. think of it like a car that comes with a Bose or a lexicon stereo system like ours.. is it nice? Hell yes! Is it far better than what most drivers have? Hell yes!! But if you ripped all of that factory Bose or Polk or lexicon etc..shitty paper speakers with the cheapest aftermarket stereo equipment it will blow the Bose factory systems away!!

Same thing for the "Brembo" brakes.
I can't imagine that swapping the rear Brembos would change brake bias enough that you would have to adjust it. Especially considering that the 4.6 calipers are theoretically more powerful than R-Spec Brembos. The coupes use the same master cylinder with or without Brembos for example. The reason I'm interested in at least doing the rears is due to the factory setup being single piston calipers with solid rotors. Higher risk of warpage due to less rotor cooling. I'm undecided on the front brakes but the rotors were warped when I bought the car. Replaced rotors and warped again within 3 months so I don't believe the current setup is adequate for me.

66nexus

Been here awhile...
I can't imagine that swapping the rear Brembos would change brake bias enough that you would have to adjust it. Especially considering that the 4.6 calipers are theoretically more powerful than R-Spec Brembos. The coupes use the same master cylinder with or without Brembos for example. The reason I'm interested in at least doing the rears is due to the factory setup being single piston calipers with solid rotors. Higher risk of warpage due to less rotor cooling. I'm undecided on the front brakes but the rotors were warped when I bought the car. Replaced rotors and warped again within 3 months so I don't believe the current setup is adequate for me.
I can't speak for others, but I did the Brembo fronts nearly ~2 years before putting on the Brembo rears, and there was noticeable difference with just the fronts. Once I did the rears after 2 years of just the fronts it was even better. I hated how fast I'd warp my 4.6 rotors (I do a lot of...let's just call it 'aggressively spirited driving').

To top it all off, there are vastly more options for rotors/pads with the Brembos than the 4.6 stockers. I believe the R-Spec (sedan) guys have bigger brakes than oem 4.6, so not sure of gains there, but on my 4.6 the Brembos are far better suited for my driving, bite harder, and last longer. I spent ~800 IIRC.