2020 Genesis g80 Vibration issue

Jackmccrory

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I’m having the same problem with my 2020 G80. Back in Genesis again. Call has lessened thousand miles on it. Had the same issue with my 2017. I was told the problem was corrected or I never bought a 2020

Jackmccrory

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I have posted on this before. My 2020 has been at the dealer for 3 weeks. Car has 800 miles. Service Managers says Genesis engineers working on problems with “driveshaft angles”. Already contacted corporate and waiting on reply but I do know that they are buying G80 back with this problem. My 2017 had this too. I would never of bought another but dealer assured me the problem was fixed with the re-engineered drive shaft. I have a loaner that is worse than mine. 25-35 MPH mostly but worse than higher speeds. All 3 new G80s in Dealer stock have the issue. Ugh!

Last edited:

Jackmccrory

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
3.8 RWD, 30-80 MPH fastest I went. Vibration in seat and Wheel. Heavy at 70-80. What was done on drive shaft issues. Are the bulk of G80's Vibration free. Is mine a fluke or common problem?
Thanks TG
Very Common problem.

PFWiz

Registered Member
Lorain, Ohio
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Mine does not have the vibration. As for your problems, you need to look into your states lemon laws. In Ohio if the manufacturer fails to fix an issue after 3 attempts in the vehicle's first year of service it is a lemon and you can take them to court.
I had a vibration issue with a Pontiac G8 I owned. It ended up costing GM $5000 and an extended warranty.

Jackmccrory

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Tomi, I have 2020 Genesis G80. Developed a vibration at 25027mph 2 weeks after purchase. My dealership has replicated the problem 3 times and determined it is in the torque converter, part of the transmission. Genesis does not yet have a fix. I registered a complaint with Genesis America customer care. They advise so far 20% of the vehicles have this problem and they are trying to figure out a fix to issues a TSB or recall. Meanwhile, they offered compensation or buy back. You should contact them and get a claim started.
Filed a complaint about the vibration issue with Genesis USA on Monday the 17th and got a call today that they will begin the process of the repurchase. I’ve had more problems taking a pair of jeans back to Kohl’s. He said he get back to me next week with the additional information.

Joe Loukota

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Had a 2017 G80 with no problems, leased a 2019 with a vibration problem. Genesis purchased vehicle back with 252 miles on vehicle. I leased a 2020 G80 after being assured the problem was solved but the same thing happened at 28-30 MPH car vibrates; dealer has tried to repair on several occasions After working with engineers regarding transmission angles and dealer problem still exist. Will be contacting Genesis for possible buy back. This vehicle has 2600 miles. Joe

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Had a 2017 G80 with no problems, leased a 2019 with a vibration problem. Genesis purchased vehicle back with 252 miles on vehicle. I leased a 2020 G80 after being assured the problem was solved but the same thing happened at 28-30 MPH car vibrates; dealer has tried to repair on several occasions After working with engineers regarding transmission angles and dealer problem still exist. Will be contacting Genesis for possible buy back. This vehicle has 2600 miles. Joe
You might want to read this thread. The 28-30 MPH vibration / flutter is apparently due to a driveshaft coupler.

What a pain! My 2019 base G80 3.8 has been smooth as glass.

Jackmccrory

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Had a 2017 G80 with no problems, leased a 2019 with a vibration problem. Genesis purchased vehicle back with 252 miles on vehicle. I leased a 2020 G80 after being assured the problem was solved but the same thing happened at 28-30 MPH car vibrates; dealer has tried to repair on several occasions After working with engineers regarding transmission angles and dealer problem still exist. Will bcontacting Genesis for possible buy back. This vehicle has 2600 miles. Joe
Mines been at the Dealer for a month now. 900
miles. Exactly the same Problem. Talked to Genesis last week. Still waiting to Hear back on Buy back or Lemon Law

Last edited:

Jackmccrory

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I finally got my 2020 G80 back from the dealer today after two months. They replace the driveshaft pursuant to a new TSB issue last week with a driveshaft it’s been in production since January. Much to my surprise after two months the vehicle is now worse than it was brand new. As of this date my vehicle still has less than 1000 miles on itI am going to attempt to have this elevated at Genesis Customer care but I also have a lemon law complaint started through the BBB. This is unacceptable behavior for any
manufacture

PFWiz

Registered Member
Lorain, Ohio
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I finally got my 2020 G80 back from the dealer today after two months. They replace the driveshaft pursuant to a new TSB issue last week with a driveshaft it’s been in production since January. Much to my surprise after two months the vehicle is now worse than it was brand new. As of this date my vehicle still has less than 1000 miles on itI am going to attempt to have this elevated at Genesis Customer care but I also have a lemon law complaint started through the BBB. This is unacceptable behavior for any
manufacture
Check your states Lemon Law rules. In Ohio they 3 tries in the first year to fix it then you can take them to court (assuming you did not sign away your rights). On my G8 I got $5000 plus an extended warranty from GM for a drive train vibration they could not fix.

Jackmccrory

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Thank you. This is the second time it’s been back and well over 60 days total and downtime for the vehicle so if I don’t get any results from the BBB lemon laws will be next

PFWiz

Registered Member
Lorain, Ohio
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Thank you. This is the second time it’s been back and well over 60 days total and downtime for the vehicle so if I don’t get any results from the BBB lemon laws will be next
Be aware that the BBB has nothing to do with Lemon Laws. Most folks don't understand that the BBB is a "For Profit" entity. They are not related to the the government in any way. They have nothing to do with enforcing any laws.
Also in Ohio 30 days of down time with your <1 year old car in the shop qualifies as a lemon.

Ray M

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Purchased a 2020 Genesis G80 and am suffering with a vibration issue, tires have been road forced balanced and replaced Michelin primacy MXM4 245/45R18. Any suggestions? Anyone have this issue resolved? What works? Thank you Tomi
Hello Tomi,

Vibrations are usually caused by radial force variation in a tire. It is a localized force transmitted to the suspension as the tire rotates. Excessive forces you feel in your butt of feet are usually caused by the rear tires. Steering wheel vibrations are caused by the front tires but since the Genesis vehicles use electronic steering, you probably won't feel anything in the steering wheel. Tire manufacturers measure these forces on a very sophisticated machine that measure this and other forces inherent to a given tire using electronic sensors that measure these forces in lbs. and then grades the tire to OE, Replacement, or potentially scrap (if the values are too high).

There have several considerations. All Genesis tires are low profile performance tires. All tire manufacturers use a component called a cap ply or cap strips over the belt to allow for high speed performance. For most manufacturers, this material is made out of nylon. Most nylon's flat spot from the weight of the car sitting on a hot tire overnight or longer. Usually, this "flat spot" is removed after several miles of driving to warm the tire up.

The Genesis spec for road force is a maximum of 24 Lbs. Did they check the replacement tires they put on the car? Typically replacement tires do not meet the OE specs that the tire manufacturer processes the tires, for OE fitment on a Genesis vehicle. All tires that do not meet the Genesis OE specs, but do meet the tire manufacturer's replacement spec are put into the replacement category and go to a tire dealer for sale to the general public.

The last consideration could be excessive rim runout. Today's rims on Genesis vehicles are cast and they are usually good but can have excessive radial runout. I don't know what the Genesis spec is for rim runout but this is something your dealer can check. Have them remove the tire and measure the radial runout of the rim at the bead mounting area.

Please remember that there is a reason for vibrations and they can be virtually eliminated.

Hameed

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I have retourqued my lug nuts to 78 ft/lb and inflated the tires to the correct psi and the car is vibration free for the most part. Torquing the wheels to the proper spec had an immediate effect on this car. I hope this helps.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I have retourqued my lug nuts to 78 ft/lb and inflated the tires to the correct psi and the car is vibration free for the most part. Torquing the wheels to the proper spec had an immediate effect on this car. I hope this helps.
I have to ask, to me, once a lug nut is snugged up, even finger tight, there is no play between the wheel and hub. So let's say they're tight between 15 and 30 ft.lbs each - and there's no possible movement going on, how could torquing then to a higher number have any affect on anything regarding wheel movement?

Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe there is movement or flex between a wheel and hub even under torque - please educate me.

Hameed

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I have to ask, to me, once a lug nut is snugged up, even finger tight, there is no play between the wheel and hub. So let's say they're tight between 15 and 30 ft.lbs each - and there's no possible movement going on, how could torquing then to a higher number have any affect on anything regarding wheel movement?

Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe there is movement or flex between a wheel and hub even under torque - please educate me.
Uneven Torque/load distribution across 5 nuts is the issue. The wheel is not moving like you said but its not tightened evenly.

Hameed

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Uneven Torque/load distribution across 5 nuts is the issue. The wheel is not moving like you said but its not tightened evenly
You can also take a look at the owner's manual it says something about vibration and lug nuts torque

bubbaG80Sport

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Lug nut torque specifications from 2018 G80 manual (page 6-18) are ...
2018-G80Sport-201029-Lug-Torque.jpg
Whenever I have a rim removed/re-installed ...
1) No weight on tire/off the ground.
2) Finger tighten each lug nut (ensure no cross threading).
3) Use torque wrench and tighten to 60 lbf-ft using star pattern above.
4) Use torque wrench and tighten to final 86 lbf-ft using star pattern above.
5) After driving and letting tire/rims cool I re-check all rims/lugs with a torque wrench.

Most garages use an impact wrench to remove/install rim lug nuts. This puts my "panties in a twist" because they typically scratch the rim and the torquing is varied and not within specifications usually.

Last edited:

Jaydub727

Austin, Texas
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Bringing up this topic, again.
I am having the same issue, most notably at 52mph and up. I replaced the front brakes, got the tires balanced and the problem still exists. Waiting for Genesis to get back to me and picking up a loaner. 2017 G80 3.8 rwd 32xxx mi

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums