2020 Genesis g80 Vibration issue

Jaydub727

Austin, Texas
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Just got a call from the dealer, they are replacing my steering column. Don't know if that is directly related to the vibration, we will see if more info comes out of their diagnosis.

Ray M

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Hello Tomi,

Vibrations are usually caused by radial force variation in a tire. It is a localized force transmitted to the suspension as the tire rotates. Excessive forces you feel in your butt of feet are usually caused by the rear tires. Steering wheel vibrations are caused by the front tires but since the Genesis vehicles use electronic steering, you probably won't feel anything in the steering wheel. Tire manufacturers measure these forces on a very sophisticated machine that measure this and other forces inherent to a given tire using electronic sensors that measure these forces in lbs. and then grades the tire to OE, Replacement, or potentially scrap (if the values are too high).

There have several considerations. All Genesis tires are low profile performance tires. All tire manufacturers use a component called a cap ply or cap strips over the belt to allow for high speed performance. For most manufacturers, this material is made out of nylon. Most nylon's flat spot from the weight of the car sitting on a hot tire overnight or longer. Usually, this "flat spot" is removed after several miles of driving to warm the tire up.

The Genesis spec for road force is a maximum of 24 Lbs. Did they check the replacement tires they put on the car? Typically replacement tires do not meet the OE specs that the tire manufacturer processes the tires, for OE fitment on a Genesis vehicle. All tires that do not meet the Genesis OE specs, but do meet the tire manufacturer's replacement spec are put into the replacement category and go to a tire dealer for sale to the general public.

The last consideration could be excessive rim runout. Today's rims on Genesis vehicles are cast and they are usually good but can have excessive radial runout. I don't know what the Genesis spec is for rim runout but this is something your dealer can check. Have them remove the tire and measure the radial runout of the rim at the bead mounting area.

Please remember that there is a reason for vibrations and they can be virtually eliminated.
Just had a significant seat vibration issue on my new G90 Ultimate. The dealership checked road force n their hunter equipment and found the left rear at 25+ exceeding the Genesis limit of 24 lbs. The tire was relaced, rod force checked (actually measured 1lb) and the vibration is gone.

Jackmccrory

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Well mine is resolved. Received the papers for the buyback from Genesis today. They readily admit there is no cure for this vibration problem so they are buying the vehicle back at full purchase price. Time to move on to a GV80

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Well mine is resolved. Received the papers for the buyback from Genesis today. They readily admit there is no cure for this vibration problem so they are buying the vehicle back at full purchase price. Time to move on to a GV80
This could set a precedence that may end up costing Genesis a fortune. They need to get this resolved. Glad to see you get there, but - what a pain... and a letdown.

I just don't get why some cars have this issue and some don't. I'm a lucky one, I guess.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums