2021 G80 and Phone Cases/Wireless Charging

acecert

Registered Member
California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I've tried several cases (very thin too) and been unsuccessful with having the wireless charger work in the car. I don't have issues with my other wireless Anker chargers inside the home with the same cases. As soon as I remove the case, the wireless phone light comes on in the car. There's an option to use a charging cable but does defeat the purpose of having a wireless charger if cases are a challenge for the wireless charger. Has anyone had any success with this in their 2021 G80? If so can you provide a link to what case you had success? Thanks!

the.tru.albertan

Getting familiar with the group...
Red Deer, Alberta
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
On my 2021, the wireless charging has been working most of the time. I had a thin fabric type case on my iPhone X. I noticed every once in a while that the wireless charging light on the car would blink, indicating a problem but then it would work again. I just got an iPhone 12 but haven't tested it yet.

Try laying the phone on its left side. If there's problems, try laying it on it's right side. I seemed to have better luck when my X was on it's right side.

I have a 2020 Ram 2500 with wireless charging as well.... I was having the same issue with it and my phone. The phone is definitely the problem.

acecert

Registered Member
California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Try laying the phone on its left side. If there's problems, try laying it on it's right side. I seemed to have better luck when my X was on it's right side.
Yes, I tried this as well...no luck. Wasn't at all difficult with my prior case on my 2018 G80 Sport. Something must have changed.

Kevin L

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Punta Gorda Isles, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I don't have Qi charging on my OnePlus 7 Pro, but I did set up a Digital Key. During the key setup, I had to place the phone on the charging pad and the key setup went fine and quickly, even though I have a pretty thick case on my phone.

the.tru.albertan

Red Deer, Alberta
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I use the Gear4 Piccadilly case. Again, haven't tested it yet with my iphone 12 and my '21 G80 but it says that it's compatible with all wireless chargers. Will be interesting to see how it performs with the car. I'll know more this coming week when I'm home.

the.tru.albertan

Red Deer, Alberta
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
iPhone 12 is a no go. It’s bricked. Apple needs to sort out its issues. Can’t get it to work at all with the g80. Tried case and no case. Got no action. Google search reveals many people with 12’s are having this issue across all Qi chargers.

Don88

♪If You're Ready (Come Go With Me)♫ Staple Singers
Vancouver WA U.S.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
iPhone 12 is a no go. It’s bricked. Apple needs to sort out its issues. Can’t get it to work at all with the g80. Tried case and no case. Got no action. Google search reveals many people with 12’s are having this issue across all Qi chargers.
Check to see if the charger is turned on in the settings.

the.tru.albertan

Red Deer, Alberta
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I checked and the wireless charging is enabled.
Ok so I got it to work but... not really. I put my phone down on it’s left or right side, I gently push my phone until the sweet spot is found. The charging light illuminates briefly and then starts flashing, indicating an error. Happens with or without case.
Starting to think Genesis really screwed this up now.

the.tru.albertan

Red Deer, Alberta
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Ok... so I turned the car off. And then back on again. Now it works fine. Can place the phone where ever on the pad and it doesn't throw any error. Seems really finicky... so much so that, IMO, it's a useless feature to have. If you have to mess with it that much, there's no point in having it.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Ok... so I turned the car off. And then back on again. Now it works fine. Can place the phone where ever on the pad and it doesn't throw any error. Seems really finicky... so much so that, IMO, it's a useless feature to have. If you have to mess with it that much, there's no point in having it.
Hard to say without more information. How big is the area of the phone that has to be in contact? How big is the area of the charger that can still work? Pretty simple at home, I just move the phone until the light goes on. In a car, the holder has to hit the target of hundreds of different phones. There should be some standardization but is there?

the.tru.albertan

Red Deer, Alberta
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Hard to say without more information. How big is the area of the phone that has to be in contact? How big is the area of the charger that can still work? Pretty simple at home, I just move the phone until the light goes on. In a car, the holder has to hit the target of hundreds of different phones. There should be some standardization but is there?
I know what you mean. But this was painful. Having to move it mm by mm just to get it work, only to have it throw the flashing light at me 5 seconds later. Doesn’t seem right. You should be able to put it centre on the pad and not have to worry about it.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

I've had the same issue with a 12 pro max in a 2018 G80, the car's Qi charger just makes the phone hot and actually drains the battery, even put the phone into overheat protection mode.

I gave up and bought these:

Amazon.com: USB C Car Charger,AUKEY Car Charger Compatible with iPhone 12 Mini/12 Pro/12 Pro Max, 30W PD Car Charger Adapter,4.8A All Metal Mini Cigarette Lighter USB Charger Quick Charge for iPhone,iPad,Samsung

Amazon.com: Apple MagSafe Charger

I just tuck the magsafe charger and phone in the center console.

acecert

Registered Member
California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
With or without a case on it?

the.tru.albertan

Red Deer, Alberta
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
With or without a case on it?
Always with the case. Gear4 Piccadilly.
Yesterday I did some more testing. Placing the phone in the centre of the charging mat just doesn’t work. My iPhone 12 will start to charge but then it stops and the Qi light on the car starts flashing.

But I think I found a solution that has worked consistently. I put my phone on the mat and then slid it over towards the USB ports. My phone hangs off that lip between charging mat and the USB ports by about a half an inch. Never had any problems at all since discovering that position. This is with the case.

ShawnL

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I've tried several cases (very thin too) and been unsuccessful with having the wireless charger work in the car. I don't have issues with my other wireless Anker chargers inside the home with the same cases. As soon as I remove the case, the wireless phone light comes on in the car. There's an option to use a charging cable but does defeat the purpose of having a wireless charger if cases are a challenge for the wireless charger. Has anyone had any success with this in their 2021 G80? If so can you provide a link to what case you had success? Thanks!
I have only used the QI charger a couple of times but seems ok with my iPhone X and an Otterbox Defender case. I did have to slide it slightly towards the USB charger but I had to adjust the spot slightly on my 2018 as well.

Shawn

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums