2021 G80 Lexicon Audio

Backslack

Registered Member
21 speakers, 1050 watts. Same in the GV80. The outgoing G80 and G90 has only 17 speakers and 900 watts. Audiophiles can decipher how much of an improvement this system is to the current one.

Screenshot_2020-05-21 Genesis.png

MyCorvette

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis G90
Audio quality is not determined by the amplifier power or how many speakers. On my G90, I find the best sound setting is to turn off all kinds of DSP processing/surround sound options. In addition, I never consider sound system on the G90 to be "high fidelity" - the system "modifies" the original signal too much, and it sounds somewhat "weird" and "artificial" - it may fit some music genre, but I am primarily listening to instrumental/orchestral music. I work for LA Philharmonic so I have a pretty accurate ear.

For the new G80/GV80, I have to listen to it in person to comment.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis G90
Audio quality is not determined by the amplifier power or how many speakers. On my G90, I find the best sound setting is to turn off all kinds of DSP processing/surround sound options.
I’ll take that Good advice, thanks
btw, what are your settings for the bass, midrange and treble?

MyCorvette

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis G90
I’ll take that Good advice, thanks
btw, what are your settings for the bass, midrange and treble?
The next time when I drive the car I will check it for you - I forgot how I set it :unsure:

ctsooner

Registered Member
Berlin, CT
No Genesis Yet!
Audio quality is not determined by the amplifier power or how many speakers. On my G90, I find the best sound setting is to turn off all kinds of DSP processing/surround sound options. In addition, I never consider sound system on the G90 to be "high fidelity" - the system "modifies" the original signal too much, and it sounds somewhat "weird" and "artificial" - it may fit some music genre, but I am primarily listening to instrumental/orchestral music. I work for LA Philharmonic so I have a pretty accurate ear.

For the new G80/GV80, I have to listen to it in person to comment.

Corvette is dead on. I've been a high end audiophile since the early 70's when I was a kid. I am heavily involved in the high end industry worldwide, so I have an idea of what 'audiophiles' think about car systems. We all hear differently, so there are no blanket statements IRT how things sound per say. I always tell folks that if you like DSP, then by all means go that route. All car audio is digital anyways. I stream Tidal or Qbuz at CD quality or more (MQA unfolding within the app) through the cars DAC. I listen to all music from EDM to rock to orchestral.

When you ask about any EQ settings, that's a personal thing and the sound changes with environment and how many people you have in the auto. I rarely bother making adjustments once set, other than lowering the treble a spec when playing 80's rock, lol...I also use a parametric EQ in my phone to make my adjustments, lol.

Lexicon audio systems to my ears are better than most. I have a Meridian system in the Jag and it's just ok. It's the upgraded one, but I'm not a big fan of Meridian for a lot of reasons and sound quality is one of them (in the home audio realm), lol.

Having the speakers arranged where they have them is all done with computers etc, to get the sound they are looking for. I've never seen the EQ controls, but I doubt they have a parametric EQ built in. If so, that's great, but 99% of the folks who own the car won't even know what or how to use one, lol. That's just reality.

The larger numbers sell and that's key. To me, they've done as good a job as most of the manufacturers, including uber premium at putting in a nice system that folks can enjoy for whatever their purpose.

My advise is to play with it to sound the best to you and love what you are listening to. Too many options not to enjoy!

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
It's interesting that Lexicon, which started off manufacturing professional audio equipment, would incorporate DSP processing/surround sound features, but then again, it's not surprising considering how many grew up listening to music these days (via crappy earbuds).

While I like my bass, all too often, people think the bass isn't loud enough if it doesn't have that boomy sound/effect.

ctsooner

Registered Member
Berlin, CT
No Genesis Yet!
Harmon Industries purchased Revel speakers, Mark Levinson (high end electronics) plus their subsidiary of lesser priced machines, JBL, Lexicon and a couple of others. They shuttered a few of the brands. They recently sold to Samsung and I think that's part of the reason they work with Genesis. Lexicon was always their home theater/digital brand of processor. They used to share their engineering with each other at their Massachusetts offices.

Backslack

Registered Member
They recently sold to Samsung and I think that's part of the reason they work with Genesis.
Not necessarily. Korean chaebols tend to be extremely competitive with one another, because a lot of their products/services overlap. We know Hyundai for their cars and Samsung for their electronics, but those are merely a fraction of their prodcuts in their home country. At one time, Samsung even tried their hands at making cars.

The recent eG80 news took everyone by surprise because nobody ever expected Hyundai and Samsung to collaborate, and even now they still haven't officially confirmed it.

jda8

Registered Member
Genesis G90
I just know that I’m very excited to hear the stereo. Until the upcoming G80 and GV80, Lexicon’s top stereo in a Hyundai or Genesis offered a maximum of 17 speakers. I, too, agree that the number of speakers or watts doesn’t make one stereo better than another. Over the years, I have listened to many top-end stereos in various luxury cars, including many years at the Chicago Auto Show. The Lexicon stereo in my 2018 G90 is one of, if not THE, best stereos I have ever heard in a car. It’s even better than the 23 speaker Mark Levinson Reference stereo in the Lexus LS, which includes ceiling-mounted tweeters. The Lexus’ stereo just isn’t as clear or as enveloping as my G90’s Lexicon rig. I also think it sounds better than the Bowers and Wilkins Diamond setup in the BMW 7 Series and the 34 speaker Bose Panaray system in the Cadillac CT6. Of course, others may disagree with me. No two sets of ears are the same and people hear things differently. I just know that I’m blown away at how clear, precise, and aurally three dimensional my Lexicon stereo is. I can’t wait to hear this newer, upcoming version!!

Last edited:

ctsooner

Registered Member
Berlin, CT
No Genesis Yet!
They and Wilson Audio are the best marketers in all of audio. I'll try to keep this on topic IRT Lexicon audio. I reached out to a friend about Lexicon and this project. He said that it is their best effort yet for auto's. They are very excited about what they have been able to do with Genesis which is pretty cool. He knows his stuff. In cars I have no issue with using processing since it's a car adn the noise floor is ridiculously high no matter what you do. You will never get a true sound stage etc.. , so to me, it's all about having fun with the sound rather than audiophile quality in a car. I've never hear any audio in a car that was 'good' IRT what I listen for in audio. I'm sure many of you who are audiophiles, would agree.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Not necessarily. Korean chaebols tend to be extremely competitive with one another, because a lot of their products/services overlap. We know Hyundai for their cars and Samsung for their electronics, but those are merely a fraction of their prodcuts in their home country. At one time, Samsung even tried their hands at making cars.

The recent eG80 news took everyone by surprise because nobody ever expected Hyundai and Samsung to collaborate, and even now they still haven't officially confirmed it.
This.

Samsung still has a (passive) small interest left in Samsung Renault.

Continued infighting/refusing to co-operate would be foolish for the chaebols since the Japanese keiretsus have been forming alliances to develop new technologies (such as batteries for autos).

PartyMarty

No Genesis Yet!
Corvette is dead on. I've been a high end audiophile since the early 70's when I was a kid. I am heavily involved in the high end industry worldwide, so I have an idea of what 'audiophiles' think about car systems. We all hear differently, so there are no blanket statements IRT how things sound per say. I always tell folks that if you like DSP, then by all means go that route. All car audio is digital anyways. I stream Tidal or Qbuz at CD quality or more (MQA unfolding within the app) through the cars DAC. I listen to all music from EDM to rock to orchestral.

When you ask about any EQ settings, that's a personal thing and the sound changes with environment and how many people you have in the auto. I rarely bother making adjustments once set, other than lowering the treble a spec when playing 80's rock, lol...I also use a parametric EQ in my phone to make my adjustments, lol.

Lexicon audio systems to my ears are better than most. I have a Meridian system in the Jag and it's just ok. It's the upgraded one, but I'm not a big fan of Meridian for a lot of reasons and sound quality is one of them (in the home audio realm), lol.

Having the speakers arranged where they have them is all done with computers etc, to get the sound they are looking for. I've never seen the EQ controls, but I doubt they have a parametric EQ built in. If so, that's great, but 99% of the folks who own the car won't even know what or how to use one, lol. That's just reality.

The larger numbers sell and that's key. To me, they've done as good a job as most of the manufacturers, including uber premium at putting in a nice system that folks can enjoy for whatever their purpose.

My advise is to play with it to sound the best to you and love what you are listening to. Too many options not to enjoy!

I just went over the above with several salespeople at varied dealerships...
QUESTION for CORVETTE/CTSOONER:

I AGREE; also being a classically trained audiophile, I listen to TIDAL (and Qobuz) through a portable AudioQuest DragonFly Cobalt DAC, into an aux port on my 550. Sounds fantastic.

It is my understanding that my iPhone is only capable of delivering 48k through the lighting port rendering any Tidal unfold impotent and I've been unsuccessfully shopping for a new car with an AUX port. How do you achieve the first unfold when 2020's have only a USB port?

Thanks in advance and regards.

ctsooner

Registered Member
Berlin, CT
No Genesis Yet!
Yes, the Apple folks don't care about audio, until it hurts their bottom line. I personally just purchased an Astrel and Kern, SR25 portable digital audio player. I stream or play from it's hard drive through the USB of the car. I've always steamed using a portable player.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums