• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2021 Genesis GV70 First Render

Sal Collaziano

Genesis Motors Forum
Staff member
Palm Beach, Florida
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
genesis-gv70.jpg

After Genesis confirmed that their second SUV, the GV70 will arrive in 2021, today we have got the first ever render where we can see how the BMW X3 rival could look, and looks promising, what do you think?

What we know so far?
The image was sent out during the announcement of the New Year’s Day by Hyundai Group Vice President of Hyundai Motors Group. He said, “Genesis will accelerate overseas expansion in China and Europe, and will aggressively expand its line-up including the first SUV model launched this year to strengthen global brand power.”

So now, if you take a look to the image below, which is a comparison between the Tucson test mule what concerns us today and original GV80 test mule based on the Santa Fe, you will find some similarities on the front wheel arch.

Despite the wheels look similar, there’s a strip on the wheel arch that points out we are in front of a car with a longer hood, something necessary to include bigger engines like the 3.3 TT that is available on the G70 sedan. Also this test mule looks longer and wider than the body is under. Read more...

dhb220

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Seriously, I would strongly consider the GV70 after being very impressed with the driving dynamics of the G70. Fingers crossed that we have the 3.5T engine available when this goes on sale.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Doubt the render is offical (why would Genesis send out a render of the GV70 when they have yet to do so for the GV80?).

Plus, one can tell that the renderer basically just affixed the G70's grille and lower air dam treatment along w/ the GV80's concepts headlights (which don't show any of the real detail that the actual headlights would have).

As can be seen by this head-on spy-shot...

The GV70 has a pentagonal/crest grille similar to that of the new G80 and GV80 and not the old Genesis hexagonal-shaped grille.

Also, they used the greenhouse/roofline of the GV80 and not the GV70 - so FAIL all around.

Last edited:

the.tru.albertan

Getting familiar with the group...
Red Deer, Alberta
Genesis Model Type
I agree YEH. The render is totally off base.

After watching the G80, GV80 and now GV70 renders come out, it's funny how some renders seem very close to the real deal while others are way, WAY off. Some of these people can't even get the headlights correct.

Twolf

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I realize they need an SUV to compete/survive, but..... Ugh, another SUV blocking the left lane. 🙄
Totally agree with the ugh. And by the way, it looks like a refaced Santa Fe and the GV 80 a refaced Palisades. Hyundai putting out the Palisades ahead of the more necessary GV80 makes one wonder who is doing the thinking at this company. The Motor Trend review of the Palisades is good enough for smart people to get that and save money on the illusion of a Genesis GV80, I know I would. But I know snob appeal will prevail.

Twolf

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Aside from the front end, just about every SUV on the road looks the same. Most are black too. I know I'm in the minority but they have no attraction to me.
Agreed. For me, the Volvo line is simple enough to be distinctive as are, of course the Range Rover HSE and Velar. Other than that, get a full size car and stop boxing up the roads.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Totally agree with the ugh. And by the way, it looks like a refaced Santa Fe and the GV 80 a refaced Palisades. Hyundai putting out the Palisades ahead of the more necessary GV80 makes one wonder who is doing the thinking at this company. The Motor Trend review of the Palisades is good enough for smart people to get that and save money on the illusion of a Genesis GV80, I know I would. But I know snob appeal will prevail.
The 2 brands look little alike up front, or for that matter, at the sides/greenhouse or rear.

Both the SF and Palisade have the split headlight design and a hexagonal shaped grille, whereas the Genesis CUVs will have the new Genesis design language of quad strip headlights (and taillights) and a pentagonal/crest shaped grille.

The Palisade (and Telluride) were able to hit the market earlier b/c they are based on a old platform (extended version of the Santa Fe and Sorento platform), as well an updated version of an old engine (3.8L).

The next gen Palisade/Telluride will be switched to the new N3 platform which underpins the new Sonata and a slew of upcoming new models (new Optima, etc.).

The GV80 is based on a new platform and will also get new powertrains, so it takes longer to develop a new vehicles from the bones up.

Also, the GV80 will drive/handle better, offer more performance and be a good bit more luxurious inside than the Palisade.

Some buyers are willing to pay for that, others are not.

And Volvo design (including the XC90) while generally handsome, is pretty generic.

Last edited:

Twolf

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
The 2 brands look little alike up front, or for that matter, at the sides/greenhouse or rear.

Both the SF and Palisade have the split headlight design and a hexagonal shaped grille, whereas the Genesis CUVs will have the new Genesis design language of quad strip headlights (and taillights) and a pentagonal/crest shaped grille.

The Palisade (and Telluride) were able to hit the market earlier b/c they are based on a old platform (extended version of the Santa Fe and Sorento platform), as well an updated version of an old engine (3.8L).

The next gen Palisade/Telluride will be switched to the new N3 platform which underpins the new Sonata and a slew of upcoming new models (new Optima, etc.).

The GV80 is based on a new platform and will also get new powertrains, so it takes longer to develop a new vehicles from the bones up.

Also, the GV80 will drive/handle better, offer more performance and be a good bit more luxurious inside than the Palisade.

Some buyers are willing to pay for that, others are not.

And Volvo design (including the XC90) while generally handsome, is pretty generic.
If the Genesis versions are 1 offs, then although I am not an SUV customer, they will be worth the extra coin. We all know that GM is famous for creative multimarketing of the same SUV (Escalade, Suburban, Tahoe at 3 different price points) and hope Genesis does not follow suit.
I differ on the Volvo assessment as its simplicity is what catches the eye. While the other brands try to dazzle with styling via vents, plunging lines, non sequential accent lines, and funky headlights, Volvo is purer and elegant. My 1 criticism of the XC90 is the possible 70K sticker depending on options and all with a 4cyl engine (no, horsepower is not the only determining factor in an engine's value) so that is my 1 gripe.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
We already know that the GV80 and GV70 won't have any real relation to the Hyundai FWD CUVs.

The GV80 will be based on the same platform as the new G80 and the GV70 w/ the G70 (altho, not clear yet if it will be a revised version of the G70 platform or a shorter version of the new G70 platform).

And unlike the Palisade which is limited to a NA 3.8L V8, the top engine for the GV80 will be a 3.5TT V6 pumping out a good bit more power/torque.

Generally, I like Volvo's relatively clean lines (however, don't care for the crab-claw taillights on their sedans)...

but their biggest issue is that their front and rear fascias for their lineup look too much like each other (not enough variance within the design language).

And while the materials quality are nice (much better than Volvo's of the past), think their dash design w/ the vertical center stack dominated by a screen flanked by vents is ungainly and outdated looking.

And from the side, the S90 can be mistaken for the Kia Cadenza.

Not that it's a bad thing, but think the Kia is a little bit more handsome.

Last edited:

Twolf

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
We already know that the GV80 and GV70 won't have any real relation to the Hyundai FWD CUVs.

The GV80 will be based on the same platform as the new G80 and the GV70 w/ the G70 (altho, not clear yet if it will be a revised version of the G70 platform or a shorter version of the new G70 platform).

And unlike the Palisade which is limited to a NA 3.8L V8, the top engine for the GV80 will be a 3.5TT V6 pumping out a good bit more power/torque.

Generally, I like Volvo's relatively clean lines (however, don't care for the crab-claw taillights on their sedans)...

but their biggest issue is that their front and rear fascias for their lineup look too much like each other (not enough variance within the design language).

And while the materials quality are nice (much better than Volvo's of the past), think their dash design w/ the vertical center stack dominated by a screen flanked by vents is ungainly and outdated looking.

We all know that choosing a car for how it looks is very subjective. We each pick based on personal taste. I agree the new tail lights on the S90 are unatractive (same on the Accord and some Buicks), but I find the rest of it to be really nice.
Do a profile comparison of the S90 with the G80 and you will find more similarities than with the Cadenza's quirky styling.
I am just glad that we on this thread and on others I guess, still have the car bug and contribute to the variety of brands and car types out there. It would be a dull life if we drove around in silver Chevy Cruzes all around. 😪

Twolf

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type

By the way, the 3.8 is a V6, not V8. Had it on my G80 and loved it. My G90 has the 3.3TT and it does scoot with more fervor. 3 months into this lease and already thinking about the next car - decisions decisions.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Twolf

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Can't speak for others, but the first consideration for me is how it looks. If it is the safest, fastest, cheapest, best fuel mileage, if I don't like the looks I'm not buying. I can get over a taillight, but the rest of the car has to be up to par.

As an example, I drove a Honda Accord. Exterior was a bit boring, interior was worse than boring. Never drove another. I did have a Honda lawnmower though. Fact is, if only transportation was to be considered probably 90% of us could get buy with that silver Chevy Cruze.
Agreed.
So have you noticed the change in design language for Toyota and Honda? They must have switched studios because both brands are putting out cars with more eye appeal. I confess that the ne Accord catches my eye in touring and sport trim. The other one is the Camry that for the first time EVER draws my attention too. Toyota/Lexus just has to do a better job with the front end design, the only weakspot on the new Avalon - such a shame.

Twolf

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type

Attachments

Paulsr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Aside from the front end, just about every SUV on the road looks the same. Most are black too. I know I'm in the minority but they have no attraction to me.
I'm with you. Never owned on and never will. Same goes for vans.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums