2022 MDX vs GV80?

Gundalow

I've owned three MDX's; 01, 05, and currently have a 10. I've always liked the SH-AWD ride, and have been on autopilot toward the purchase of the 2022. However, the GV80 now has my attention, and may carry the day. I have yet to test drive either, so who knows. My intention is to go with the top trim level of whichever I choose.
My X's have had their share of issues over the years, the 01 tranny and the paint literally falling off of the 10, to mention a couple. The fit and finish is "luxury light", and the warranty is average at best. Having said that, it's still a very nice vehicle, and Acura has up it's luxury game some with the 2022. My biggest pre test drive concern being what appears to be a swing and a miss with the touch pad interface.
On the other hand, I have no experience with Genesis, other than a friend who owns a G80 and is absolutely smitten with the thing. I plan to take a lot of long road trips with the next SUV, and am very focused on seating comfort, handling, ride comfort, and road noise. I have no use for third row seating, for which there is no escape with the MDX, nor do I have any use for 22 inch wheels, for which there is no escape with the top trim on the GV80. The GV80 warranty is a big plus, but their relatively sparse dealer network may make it a PIA to get convenient service.
I plan to hold onto the vehicle for 8-10 years. Which means the way things are headed, this will likely be my last non-hybrid/EV SUV purchase. So, do I stick with the same old same old? Or take a chance on the intriguing upstart?
I tend to think that I can't really go wrong with either vehicle.

Backslack

Registered Member
You'll need to give us a bit more information. Which GV80 trim are you looking at? Which engine? There's an enormous difference between a GV80 3.5TT and the MDX that's only naturally aspirated, both in power and features. If you want a truly fair comparison, you might have to wait until the MDX Type S comes out.

Backslack

Registered Member
The top trim level of the GV80 or the MDX. Not interested in the Type S.
In that case, the GV80 will be in a whole different league. The MDX with a naturally aspirated V6 will drive like a turtle compared to the GV80's twin turbo V6.

Nobody can answer your question about reliability because both cars are so new.

dapribek

Registered Member
Hi, I’ve owned an RDX and. ZDX, both top of the line trim levels. My new Advance GV80, although not the Prestige level (I wanted a spare tire), is a much nicer vehicle than either of my two Acuras (and I loved both of them!). I hope this helps!

Markbridge

Registered Member
SE Ohio
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The new MDX looks very nice. I've been watching all of the YouTube reviews and I'm very impressed. In fact, there is a Canadian who is preparing a comparison between the MDX and the GV80 (he did a GV80 vs. Aviator comparison and really loved the GV80). Here's link to his videos, if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/c/SamCarLegion Another SUV I'm impressed with is the 2021 Jaguar F-Pace.

But, let's face it, the GV80 really beats them all. Although the MDX is nice, it's underpowered compared to the GV80 and the interior is no where near as nice as the Genesis. And don't get me started on the gear selector. Not my cup of tea at all. That alone would keep me from purchasing an Acura. (Just like Mercedes' insistence on putting the gear selector on the column----what?!, is this 1955 or something? Big turn off for me). And the Jag, though nice, would cost easily $10K more to get close to what the GV80 offers.

In the end there are a lot of very good SUVs, after all, that's all that sells now, and for years I fought to stay away from them, but I was truly impressed with the GV80 when I drove it and decided that now is a good time to make the switch from sedan to SUV, before I get too old to enjoy it (lol).

Backslack

Registered Member
The new MDX looks very nice. I've been watching all of the YouTube reviews and I'm very impressed. In fact, there is a Canadian who is preparing a comparison between the MDX and the GV80 (he did a GV80 vs. Aviator comparison and really loved the GV80). Here's link to his videos, if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/c/SamCarLegion Another SUV I'm impressed with is the 2021 Jaguar F-Pace.

But, let's face it, the GV80 really beats them all. Although the MDX is nice, it's underpowered compared to the GV80 and the interior is no where near as nice as the Genesis. And don't get me started on the gear selector. Not my cup of tea at all. That alone would keep me from purchasing an Acura. (Just like Mercedes' insistence on putting the gear selector on the column----what?!, is this 1955 or something? Big turn off for me). And the Jag, though nice, would cost easily $10K more to get close to what the GV80 offers.

In the end there are a lot of very good SUVs, after all, that's all that sells now, and for years I fought to stay away from them, but I was truly impressed with the GV80 when I drove it and decided that now is a good time to make the switch from sedan to SUV, before I get too old to enjoy it (lol).
The Jaguar F-Pace is much smaller than the GV80 and more in-line with the upcoming GV70. They have the same wheelbase and are an inch apart in length.

nixit

2021 GV80 GCS/Dune
Chicago, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I've owned three MDX's; 01, 05, and currently have a 10. I've always liked the SH-AWD ride, and have been on autopilot toward the purchase of the 2022.

I have a 2016 MDX. Make sure the 2022 will fit in your garage. It's 6" longer than your '10 and 4 inches longer than my '16. In my garage, every inch counts.

Markbridge

Registered Member
SE Ohio
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have a 2016 MDX. Make sure the 2022 will fit in your garage. It's 6" longer than your '10 and 4 inches longer than my '16. In my garage, every inch counts.
Oh my! I just checked the specs between the MDX and the GV80 and the MDX is 4" longer than the Genesis! I didn't realize this, although I should have since the MDX comes standard with the third row. Your point about fitting in the garage is a good one, the GV80 is tight in my garage, mainly because of all the junk! (Anyone need more junk? Let me know I've got enough to spare. lol)

Gundalow

It's not surprising that most GV80 owners would favor it over the MDX. After all, you wouldn't have bought it if you didn't like it!

Hellothere

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I've owned three MDX's; 01, 05, and currently have a 10. I've always liked the SH-AWD ride, and have been on autopilot toward the purchase of the 2022. However, the GV80 now has my attention, and may carry the day. I have yet to test drive either, so who knows. My intention is to go with the top trim level of whichever I choose.
My X's have had their share of issues over the years, the 01 tranny and the paint literally falling off of the 10, to mention a couple. The fit and finish is "luxury light", and the warranty is average at best. Having said that, it's still a very nice vehicle, and Acura has up it's luxury game some with the 2022. My biggest pre test drive concern being what appears to be a swing and a miss with the touch pad interface.
On the other hand, I have no experience with Genesis, other than a friend who owns a G80 and is absolutely smitten with the thing. I plan to take a lot of long road trips with the next SUV, and am very focused on seating comfort, handling, ride comfort, and road noise. I have no use for third row seating, for which there is no escape with the MDX, nor do I have any use for 22 inch wheels, for which there is no escape with the top trim on the GV80. The GV80 warranty is a big plus, but their relatively sparse dealer network may make it a PIA to get convenient service.
I plan to hold onto the vehicle for 8-10 years. Which means the way things are headed, this will likely be my last non-hybrid/EV SUV purchase. So, do I stick with the same old same old? Or take a chance on the intriguing upstart?
If yo like both vehicles, I’d boil it down to which dealership you want to be married to for the next 5+ years. Or whenever your warranty ends. I’ve been to some Hyundai / Genesis dealerships that have been a pain in the a**. Can’t take it in when I want to ( Hyundai cars taking all the time / no loaners available), some don’t know Genesis vehicles that well, one manager was outright racist. So make sure your dealership is a good one.

Gundalow

Interesting you should mention that. The Genesis warranty is pretty sweet, but the lack of true Genesis dealerships across the country has me a bit concerned, as we intend to be taking some long road trips.

LostAgain

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I had similar concerns, we live in NM but have friends on both coasts we want to visit. It is my first Genesis, but I had Kias on a rental basis (2006 and 2016 Sorrento) and each time did +1500 miles in a few days. The level of engineering and attention to detail impressed me and put them on my radar. The fact that Kia/Hyundai are doing so well in quality surveys swayed me over the lack of dealers. Then again, maybe I just like living dangerously. I own 2 different brand Italian motorcycles, one dealer is 60 miles away and the other several hundred 🙂

Markbridge

Registered Member
SE Ohio
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Am I the only one that noticed that the "D" pillar on the MDX mimics the "D" pillar on the GV80? Or, is It the "D" pillar on the GV80 mimics the "D" pillar on the MDX? Or......Oh forget it! The two vehicles' "D" pillars are similar. There. That was easy, uh? :cool:

2021GCSGV80

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Am I the only one that noticed that the "D" pillar on the MDX mimics the "D" pillar on the GV80? Or, is It the "D" pillar on the GV80 mimics the "D" pillar on the MDX? Or......Oh forget it! The two vehicles' "D" pillars are similar. There. That was easy, uh? :cool:

Since the 2020 Acura MDX didn't look like that it's hard to say who had it first.

20736969_web1_M-2020_Acura_MDX_A-Spec_front.jpg

The 2020 Hyundai Santa Fe looks more like the GV80 D pillar though.

2831.jpeg

Aquineas

4th Genesis
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Test drive them both, and that will be your answer.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums