3.3T Engine Info

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Nice. Engineering Explained posted a nice little video highlighting some of that same info, though he focuses mostly on the sodium filled exhaust valves.

Here it is..

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The 3.3 engine has solid lifters. Have not had an engine with solid lifters since I had a VW bettle from my college days. Not sure of the advantage, if any from typical hydraulic lifters? Anybody know why solid lifters are being used? If you get tappet noise as mileage accumulates, will be a real pain to fix. Supposedly at 60k miles they need servicing. Would be a warrenty job, but still would not like my engine tore into for tappet issues.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Acpantera

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The 3.3 engine has solid lifters. Have not had an engine with solid lifters since I had a VW bettle from my college days. Not sure of the advantage, if any from typical hydraulic lifters? Anybody know why solid lifters are being used? If you get tappet noise as mileage accumulates, will be a real pain to fix. Supposedly at 60k miles they need servicing. Would be a warrenty job, but still would not like my engine tore into for tappet issues.
Not a warranty covered service to ck, and possibly adjust the valve clearances. It's an owners expense and if you were to burn a valve or have a valve train related failure after the 60,000 mile mark, Genesis would most likely NOT COVER the repair(10yr 100k powertrain warranty) because of neglect to follow the maintenance schedule if you choose not to have the valve ck done.

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Solid lifters are better for high RPM performance engines. They can follow a steeper cam better and have higher tension springs.
Thanks. I get a weight savings and higher RPM performance, would seem solid lifters are probably less expensive to produce as well for they have less parts. Valve float at higher RPMs I’m guessing is better with solid than hydraulic? Wonder if BMW’s and Audi’s use solids or hydraulics or if it depends on which engine choice you select?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.