3.3t vs 5.0 and what kind of aftermarket potential for both?

AkiraSieghart

Hey guys,

I was strongly considering the G70 3.3t but the back seat is just too small for my needs. Logically, the step up would be the G80. I see the it's much sportier (at least styling-wise) with the 3.3t over the 5.0. Does the 5.0 still come with the different suspension and the rest of the things that come with the 3.3t trim?

Also, I know that there are JB1/4 tunes for the 3.3t to get pretty damn impressive power out of the engine. Has anyone tuned their 3.3t G80 and know how it feels? Does it make the car significantly faster even with all of the extra weight on it?

And finally, is there any aftermarket support for the 5.0 V8? From what I understand, it's the same V8 that was offered in the Hyundai Genesis so it's been around for a while. Have any aftermarket/power increasing options been developed for it?

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
There isn't anything for a 5.0....get the G80 sport, tune it with jb4 and be done with it. 5.0 doesn't stand a chance, I'mp pushing ~430hp/530tq so far, 0-60 in 4.7sec. Once I add fuel wires, I'll be looking at ~440/540tq. With fuel wires installed, you can mix E85+93 and run map5, and you'd be at ~450hp/550tq or so. 0-60 should be below 4.5sec.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
do you plan to track the car?

if not what difference does it make? 65mph is the speed limit, who cares how fast you get there?

AkiraSieghart

There isn't anything for a 5.0....get the G80 sport, tune it with jb4 and be done with it. 5.0 doesn't stand a chance, I'mp pushing ~430hp/530tq so far, 0-60 in 4.7sec. Once I add fuel wires, I'll be looking at ~440/540tq. With fuel wires installed, you can mix E85+93 and run map5, and you'd be at ~450hp/550tq or so. 0-60 should be below 4.5sec.
Thanks! How do you feel about the exhaust note? When I test drove the G70 3.3t, it was way too quiet. Does the G80 have any aftermarket exhaust support or did you manage to customize something yourself?

AkiraSieghart

do you plan to track the car?

if not what difference does it make? 65mph is the speed limit, who cares how fast you get there?
Yes, I do occasionally go to 1/4 mile tracks. I also like to do canyon driving. Obviously the G80 is a mammoth of a car, but I'm hoping it can hold its weight reasonably well in the twisties.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Yes, I do occasionally go to 1/4 mile tracks. I also like to do canyon driving. Obviously the G80 is a mammoth of a car, but I'm hoping it can hold its weight reasonably well in the twisties.

it's ok, the electric steering gives it a rather disconnected feel at times.. I drive a 6.5 mile twisty back road on my commute to work, it was a far more fun drive in my RCF and my Camaro that it is in the G80 Sport. Even my '39 Ford Tudor is more fun to drive on back roads than the G80.,

Don't get me wrong, I love the G80, but it is a whale of a 4 door sedan, better suited for family outings and daily commuting than canyon carving and track driving.

Scamp

Registered Member
Nice. Is your only mod the JB4 as of right now?

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Nice. Is your only mod the JB4 as of right now?
Nothing else except the tune and "colder" spark plugs on 93 octane. As you can see below, there is my dyno run.... the 2nd run is Map1, last one is on Map2 (these are whp not hp)

Attachments

J Dixon

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I'm quickly learning that the 3.3T has the best potential for aftermarket power increases. The normally-aspirated 5.0 "has what it has" and not much else out there to change it. Turbo cars seem to always have that advantage since boost can be manipulated.
Having said that though, I'll take the 5.0's stock 420 hp and console myself with the fact there is no chance of voiding the warranty by tinkering...since I can't. Tuners saying the factory guys can't prove it is one thing, but it would include lying to accomplish that if push came to shove.

Now a few years from now if I can obtain a 90,000 mile G70 3.3T that a little old lady gently drove...well, I might be looking at some boost increases myself!

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Not bad. The tune does make the 3.3 T slightly faster than a stock 5.0. I never tested my car , but CAR and Driver states the 2015 5.0 can hit 0-60 in 5.0 seconds just by flooring the gas pedal from a stand-still and have the test sheet to prove it. Motor Trend states the 2015 5.0 does 0-60 in 5.2 seconds, however Motor Trend do not provide a test sheet and use some sort algorithm to calculate what a test car will average across the nation based on how it performs in one location and then publish a calculated 0-60 time that reflects an average of what the car can do, so I just stick with Car and Driver test results. Car and Driver just publish the numbers the car makes without any attempted correction formulas to average out the numbers for other regions.

Well ,anyway the tune makes the 3.3T only .3 seconds faster than a stock 5.0. Faster, but I expected more to be honest. Reduced reliability just to be only .3 seconds faster is not a real incentive to get a questionable reliable tuned 3.3T over a stock reliable 5.0 V8 engine in my opinion. Even the extra fuel modification nets only .5 seconds over the 5.0 in stock form. Not much to be honest for the cost and risk. Just my opinion.

P.S. Not hating on the tuned 3.3T engine, it just that tuning turbo engines comes with more risk of failures over running it stock.

Last edited:

SuperKing

Registered Member
Vancouver, BC
5 seconds 0-60 = acceleration of 5.364 meters/second squared. Distance covered = 67.05 meters
4.5 seconds 0-60 = acceleration of 5.96 meters/second squared. Distance covered = 60.35 meters

The difference between 4.5 seconds and 5 seconds is less than 7 meters. The car is about 5 meters long meaning the nose of the stock 5.0 will be less than 2 meters from the back bumper of the modified 3.3T. Personally I don't think that's worth the reliability issues and potentially voiding the warranty. But I prefer the big lazy motor anyways.

It's like comparing a small hammer to a big one. The small one is designed to drive a nail in 3-4 hits. Sure you can add more force to it and drive it with one hit but how many times can you do that before the shocks to your wrist prevent you from hitting another nail? The bigger heavier hammer will drive a nail in 1 shot, every time reliably. You will get tired of lifting the heavier hammer but all you need to do is eat more food for energy (fuel).

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
5 seconds 0-60 = acceleration of 5.364 meters/second squared. Distance covered = 67.05 meters
4.5 seconds 0-60 = acceleration of 5.96 meters/second squared. Distance covered = 60.35 meters

The difference between 4.5 seconds and 5 seconds is less than 7 meters. The car is about 5 meters long meaning the nose of the stock 5.0 will be less than 2 meters from the back bumper of the modified 3.3T. Personally I don't think that's worth the reliability issues and potentially voiding the warranty. But I prefer the big lazy motor anyways.

It's like comparing a small hammer to a big one. The small one is designed to drive a nail in 3-4 hits. Sure you can add more force to it and drive it with one hit but how many times can you do that before the shocks to your wrist prevent you from hitting another nail? The bigger heavier hammer will drive a nail in 1 shot, every time reliably. You will get tired of lifting the heavier hammer but all you need to do is eat more food for energy (fuel).
Good point and example. 4.5 seconds is still very fast, but I would not put an aftermarket tune on my daily driver to produce such high power levels on the stock internals and automatic transmission. I would only modify a older track car like that. I would use only a light ecu tune to slightly raise the boost for a tad more horsepower for the engine longevity if it was my daily driver car that is still being financed. Raising the boost pass stock levels in a stock engine is always a sure fire way to highlight any weak areas in a engine. Not just Hyundai engines, but any factory turbo engines. I have owned a few turbo engine over the years and tuned two of them.(2006 VW GTI APR tune stage 1 and 2001 Volvo S80 T6 IDP stage 1 tune) The Volvo automatic transmission failed soon after the tune.:( The VW seemed to handle the tune well until I sold it, but the DSG clutch pack were said to fail prematurely on tuned cars. Tuning stock turbo cars always carried a risk, in which I learned first hand with the Volvo T6. However, that was a fast sedan when it was tuned until the tranny died a couple months later after the tune.

If engine tune ability is the goal then the 3.3.T wins in that regard. However, for strong factory reliable out of the box power with some light modifications potential, then the 5.0 V8 is the best option.

The 3.3T is my future engine swap engine after they become cheap and easy to find used, if the engine and 8 speed auto prove to be reliable and able to handle tunes without premature failure.

Last edited:

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Anyone not mech savy and installed it themselves? Was it hard?
I did not, someone else did all that in my car, but looking at it, I'd say it is very easy, shouldn't take longer than ~15 min. IF you want this to be almost invisible, zip-tied to existing wires/cables.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.