3.5TT Problem(?)

Ptcrusn

Registered Member
I have around 2000 miles on my car. Around 1000 miles I started to experience an intermittent jerking. It was random. Sometimes it would happen going up a hill or incline while easing up on the gas, never while accelerating. It could happen while driving at 25 mph or 45 mph and just cruising. Once, last week, while starting from a stop the car jerked multiple times to the point that I didn't think I would get home. So, the dealer checked it out today and said it was the twin turbo kicking in and that it could happen at slow speeds and while not accelerating. I'm supposed to go on a ride with someone from the dealership tomorrow. This is supposed to be "normal". So is anyone else getting this "normal" jerking of their car? And, when I say jerking, I don't mean feeling the turbo kicking in when you punch it. I've had turbos before (not twin turbo) and nothing was like this. Please let me know what you've experienced.

mnfats95

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I have around 2000 miles on my car. Around 1000 miles I started to experience an intermittent jerking. It was random. Sometimes it would happen going up a hill or incline while easing up on the gas, never while accelerating. It could happen while driving at 25 mph or 45 mph and just cruising. Once, last week, while starting from a stop the car jerked multiple times to the point that I didn't think I would get home. So, the dealer checked it out today and said it was the twin turbo kicking in and that it could happen at slow speeds and while not accelerating. I'm supposed to go on a ride with someone from the dealership tomorrow. This is supposed to be "normal". So is anyone else getting this "normal" jerking of their car? And, when I say jerking, I don't mean feeling the turbo kicking in when you punch it. I've had turbos before (not twin turbo) and nothing was like this. Please let me know what you've experienced.
Nothing like that here, 6k miles so far.

nebula186

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
No jerking on my 3.5T. Completed 3.5k miles recently and had a few day trips. Didn’t feel any thing you describe. Smooth as a baby’s bottom.

Lionorion

2022 GV70 Sport Advanced Mauna Red/Sevilla Red
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Mukilteo
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
My experience is If the transmission is cold, or if I’ve gone from sport to comfort, the transmissions downshift from 2nd to 1st can sometimes be abrupt. It’s most likely the transmission programming is confused during partial throttle at lower speeds, especially if there’s some sort of variation of elevation.

I‘m guessing it has nothing to do with the engine as your post suggests.

GV70GUY

Been here awhile...
Northeast
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Not normal I have the same car no issues like that. Only thought I have is the DCT is not shifting right.

jetrep

Registered Member
Southern NV
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
That description of the cause being the twin turbos "kicking in" is pure nonsense.

nimasis

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
12k on mine and it happened 2-3 times to me as well. To me, it seems like the tranny gets confused a little as it tries to upshift as soon as it can but sometimes it's not the best choice to upshift when your going over a hill or have traffic in front of you so it kicks back hard to the previous gear.

Ptcrusn

Registered Member
12k on mine and it happened 2-3 times to me as well. To me, it seems like the tranny gets confused a little as it tries to upshift as soon as it can but sometimes it's not the best choice to upshift when your going over a hill or have traffic in front of you so it kicks back hard to the previous gear.
Did it happen to you early on in your 12k miles and then go away or just happen randomly over that time period. I can go several days with nothing then have a day where it happens all the time.

nimasis

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
Did it happen to you early on in your 12k miles and then go away or just happen randomly over that time period. I can go several days with nothing then have a day where it happens all the time.
Yeah mainly happened when I only had a few miles on it, I feel like the TCU has adapted with my driving style over time and it got better with choosing the proper gear and sticking with it.

Bry

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
4k miles on the clock. All is good with my 3.5tt. Throttle response is direct and proportionate to accelerator movements (no delays in moving from stop or trans reacting to changes). Smooth and precise best description. There is no perceived lag/delay. Not even the slightest feel to a turbo spool as the technician may be leaning towards concerning " normal operation".

Speeder

Registered Member
Quinton, NJ
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I'm very satisfied with the motor and transmission performance with mine with just over 18k miles on the odometer.

Ptcrusn

Registered Member
4k miles on the clock. All is good with my 3.5tt. Throttle response is direct and proportionate to accelerator movements (no delays in moving from stop or trans reacting to changes). Smooth and precise best description. There is no perceived lag/delay. Not even the slightest feel to a turbo spool as the technician may be leaning towards concerning " normal operation".
I'm meeting with them in an hour. I've already heard the line "it works the way it's supposed to...at this time". So jerking is normal. Yet, no one else has the problem And, none of the reviews mentioned anything.

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

dckimmd

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
I have just under 3000 miles. I noticed it a couple of times, but if I let up on the gas and then re-accelerate, it goes away. I attributed it to a similar transmission type of issue that I have had with my PDK on my Cayman. The dealer at the time explained that the computer was adapting to my style of driving at the time and that when I changed my driving style (like getting off the highway after an aggressive drive and then going to stop and go traffic), the car doesn't know what's what, so to speak. I have learned to deal with this issue so it's not a big deal. Not sure if it's the same thing, but it only happened a couple of times with the GV70 and was kinda subtle so I've been ignoring it.

Ptcrusn

Registered Member
That description of the cause being the twin turbos "kicking in" is pure nonsense.
It was pure nonsense. They changed there tune when a salesman rode with us an experienced the problem. Bottom line was they reset the TCU and hope this takes care of the jerking. I have to say that the car drove better on the way home than it did the last couple of weeks. Thanks for everyone's input.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners