3.8 V6 - Premium gas and more horsepower

Carguy81

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Hi everyone,

Just picked up a 2016 3.8 Ultimate and was wondering if anyone knows if there is a confirmed horsepower/torque difference between using regular gas and premium fuel.

Thanks for your help!

TroyK

Registered Member
from G2 press release:

DIRECT-INJECTED LAMBDA 3.8-LITER ENGINE
The Genesis 3.8-liter direct-injected Lambda engine has also been further optimized to deliver a flatter overall torque curve at low rpm for enhanced driveability. Thoroughly improved for the new Genesis, this engine includes a three-stage variable intake system, triangular-pattern fuel injector for improved combustion, an air-gap exhaust manifold for better NVH, and an upgraded cylinder block with a variable-vane 2-stage oil pump for reduced parasitic losses. In keeping with its 5.0-liter V8 sibling, the Genesis 3.8-liter Lambda engine utilizes direct-injection and produces 311 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 293 lb.-ft. of torque at 5,000 rpm. It also has a high compression ratio of 11.5:1 for greater thermal efficiency. The Lambda engine will run on regular fuel with only a small reduction in peak power, and no negative driving effects, whenever desired by the owner.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
If you did want to try higher octane, I would recommend mid-grade or a custom blend (1/3 premium and 2/3 regular) instead of 100% premium. If you try it, let us know what you think.

TroyK

Registered Member
If you did want to try higher octane, I would recommend mid-grade or a custom blend (1/3 premium and 2/3 regular) instead of 100% premium. If you try it, let us know what you think.

may i ask why per bolded text above?

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
may i ask why per bolded text above?
You mean why not 100% premium? I tried 100% premium on my G1 V6 and didn't work any better than mid-grade. I did notice slightly better response and better MPG on mid-grade (or 2/3 regular mixed with 1/3 premium). But try whatever you want and let us know.

Nikgen

Been here awhile...
You mean why not 100% premium? I tried 100% premium on my G1 V6 and didn't work any better than mid-grade. I did notice slightly better response and better MPG on mid-grade (or 2/3 regular mixed with 1/3 premium). But try whatever you want and let us know.

Blending fuels at the pump? That makes no sense... I have not noticed any differences with 100% premium fuel as the power increase on an engine like this is VERY small to begin with. Feel free to prove me wrong with actual measurements, though - otherwise, I say it's a "placebo effect" if you think you notice a difference...

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Yet another thread on regular vs premium. Ho hum.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Makes no sense... not that one would ever notice any real differences as the power increase with premium fuel on an engine like this is VERY small.
I carefully measured the MPG for regular and mid-grade, and mid-grade clearly gets better gas mileage on my Genesis. That almost always means it also gets more HP, but that is not so important. The other thing is that the engine seems a little quieter. I am always a little suspicious of Hyundai and think they tend to push the envelope on stuff, and I suspect there is less detonation with a little extra octane.

As noted, this subject has been beaten to death in many different threads. My philosophy is to let people try it and make up their own mind about what they think. I personally am more concerned about engine longevity than anything else, so I want to eliminate any chance of detonation, and get a little better MPG along with it. I only drive about 4,000 miles per year these days, so the extra cost is not a big factor.

xsolara

Registered Member
Your best bet for drive-ability and improved gas mileage is to use NO ALCOHOL gas.

jarred52

Registered Member
Your best bet for drive-ability and improved gas mileage is to use NO ALCOHOL gas.

+1 on that. I had been concerned about the whether QuikTrip's no-ethanol gas was also a top-tier gasoline. I called the home office in Tulsa and spoke to a person there who assured me that all QT's gasolines use the same detergent additives to make them top-tier.

TroyK

Registered Member

which is becoming increasingly hard to do where i live in South Dakota. almost all octane grades here are 10% ethanol blend. i think only 1 station in town carries pure gas 91 octane. anyway, i haven't been able to ascertain much of a difference in running either 87, 89 or 91 octane in my genesis. that said i have't specifically paid close attention to mpg.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
+1 on that. I had been concerned about the whether QuikTrip's no-ethanol gas was also a top-tier gasoline. I called the home office in Tulsa and spoke to a person there who assured me that all QT's gasolines use the same detergent additives to make them top-tier.
For those who didn't know, here is the list of top tier retailers.
http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers/

Many think this is irrelevant, since almost all gas retailers are now top tier, but when the started this program only a few qualified.

More info:

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is the premier standard for gasoline performance. Seven of the world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz and Audi recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance.

Since the minimum additive performance standards were first established by EPA in 1995, most gasoline marketers have actually reduced the concentration level of detergent additive in their gasoline by up to 50%. As a result, the ability of a vehicle to maintain stringent Tier 2 emission standards have been hampered, leading to engine deposits which can have a big impact on in-use emissions and driver satisfaction.

These automakers have raised the bar. TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline help drivers avoid lower quality gasoline which can leave deposits on critical engine parts, which reduces engine performance. That's something both drivers and automakers want to avoid.​

kavisic

Sustaining Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
San Angelo, West Texas
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I'm a Shell man, however, I've noticed that when I try the top, premium Nitrogen rich blend (VERY EXPESNIVE), I actually get less MPG. Here in West Texas its hard to find gasoline without 10% alcohol. On long trips I usually get over 30 mpg on regular if I'm not driving into the wind.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I'm a Shell man, however, I've noticed that when I try the top, premium Nitrogen rich blend (VERY EXPESNIVE), I actually get less MPG. Here in West Texas its hard to find gasoline without 10% alcohol. On long trips I usually get over 30 mpg on regular if I'm not driving into the wind.
I noticed similar results. But when I used 1/3 premium and 2/3 regular I got better MPG than regular.

Midnightsun

Been here awhile...
Montreal, Canada

xsolara

Registered Member
Kwik Trip in Wisconsin is a Top Tier gas..... also their Premium gas has no alcohol BUT it's expensive

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Kwik Trip in Wisconsin is a Top Tier gas..... also their Premium gas has no alcohol BUT it's expensive
Is that near some lakes? I know that many marine engines can't handle alcohol, so you can usually find alcohol free gas at or near a marina.

xsolara

Registered Member
Is that near some lakes? I know that many marine engines can't handle alcohol, so you can usually find alcohol free gas at or near a marina.

Yes it's Wisconsin ...lots of lakes :)
Kwick Trip, a family run company, has about 450 stores in the Mid West
Premium gas sell for today at $2.50 gal. and reg. $$2.07

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums