4.6 alternator tutorial ???

Thread starter #1

dmulc

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Can anyone provide a "how to" for changing an alternator on a '09 sedan with a 4.6? I'm helping my son next weekend and can't find any info on it.
Thanks

Thread starter #3

dmulc

Genesis Model Type
I got it done and it wasn't as bad as it looks. Took about 2 hours. The alternator has to be unbolted from the bracket and then the bracket unbolted from the engine. The alternator and bracket can then be lowered and removed through the bottom of the car. I took a couple pics of the bracket. The first two 14mm bolts are easy to see (from under the car). The 3rd and 4th are concealed by the alternator. The alternator needs to be moved forward towards the radiator to get at them.
(Not pictured - there is also a 12mm bolt on the front of the bracket- towards the radiator)

20171020_143751.jpg

20171020_145133.jpg

66nexus

Been here awhile...
Good pics. Curious, did you end up using an OEM or aftermarket unit? Mine is in the shop now for the same problem, dealer told me it would take several days to get an OEM unit, so I might have no choice but to use an aftermarket one supplied by my indy mechanic.

Thread starter #5

dmulc

Genesis Model Type
I put in a new OEM from Hyundai. It was $341 delivered to my home in 2 days.

66nexus

Been here awhile...
Nice price, my dealer wanted $429 (I'm definitely trying to get it online next time; by then I'm more than certain I'll have a garage toy I can use as a backup).

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Nice price, my dealer wanted $429 (I'm definitely trying to get it online next time; by then I'm more than certain I'll have a garage toy I can use as a backup).
Good idea. Those online sites are run by Hyundai Dealers and sell the exact same OEM parts.

Ambush

Registered Member
Carolinas
Could we not go ahead and put in an aftermarket HI Output car audio one? If I pay that much again for an alternator (I JUST put in an OEM Honda Accord in my 08 accord for that PRICE) I think that is the route I go!
HI Output Alt
Now the site does not have our car BUT I think the Mustang 3.8 has the same structure as ours. For the price of a 150 OEM one why not get a 240 AMP for the same price??? Would it hurt us?

Thread starter #10

dmulc

Genesis Model Type
The mount is different than the one in your link.

Here's a quick pic of what ours looks like...
11022_ANG.jpg

66nexus

Been here awhile...
Good idea. Those online sites are run by Hyundai Dealers and sell the exact same OEM parts.
And that's what is crazy about it too, there was over $100 difference between online and my dealer! Same part!

Madikade87

Genesis Model Type
You guys said to push the alternator forward after removing alternator bolts. I cant get the thing to budge at all to get to the other 2 bracket bolts

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.