4.6 intake interest

Tailwalker

Registered Member
ILM, NC
As we all are aware, there is little aftermarket support for 'performance' upgrades for the V8. I am open to footing the bill to begin R&D + fab for a CA or short ram intake. I will be working with a performance exhaust shop to develop this, which I will communicate once we have a viable solution. All dealings will be direct with them.

What I need is to gauge the interest of the community so I can forward that on. We believe 10-12 commitments would allow for production. Please respond to this thread in that regard.

We plan on a heat shielded application, which will tuck into the existing air box location. We have not determined whether this will be mandrel bent or plastic. I will update on this thread as we progress.

Mods, please let me know if this type of query is acceptable.

Thanks

Tailwalker

Registered Member
ILM, NC
Unfortunately, I do not have a baseline without the exhaust, other than the stock numbers from Hyundai. I can get the dyno results with and without the intake, with the exhaust installed once we fabricate the prototype.

The exhaust is a full cat-back (secondary delete) 2.5" with no resonators. One would imagine that letting this motor (like any other) that is 'choked' down breath, will have a fairly large impact for the money.

In all fairness this may just be a cosmetic noise maker, but I still think there will be certain gains if done right.

Maulis425

Hasn't posted much yet...
Dayton, OH
I would be interested, but won't commit without seeing/hearing a fully functioning prototype. I put a somewhat lengthy post in the old thread with what I've tried through backyard engineering to improve the intake with mixed to disappointing results. I'd be happy to help on the project though. I don't own a shop or anything like that, but if I can help out on the project, let me know.

Tailwalker

Registered Member
ILM, NC
After speaking with the technician, we will be dynoing to give you guys results.

In regards to the 5.0 application, we would need a Maryland volunteer to test fit once we have a prototype.

daviderle

Registered Member
After speaking with the technician, we will be dynoing to give you guys results.

In regards to the 5.0 application, we would need a Maryland volunteer to test fit once we have a prototype.
I have both the 4.6 and 5.0 (but live in GA :().

I can confirm that both intake / air boxes are identical (I swapped them around to do some tests), I am willing to buy (/pay for shipment) and test the fit on the 5.0 for you as long as the Dyno tests show gains on the 4.6.

Tailwalker

Registered Member
ILM, NC
Thank you for that info. It's good to hear that they are interchangeable!

It will be a little while before a prototype is ready - the shop and I are running ideas back and forth, and will be settling on the design around the 11th of Oct. At that point we will get the parts together and I should have more information to share, including price point.

For me, the mounting angle and heat shield are the items of concern. From R2C's mock up, I do not like the placement of the filter. I hope that was due to the limitations of filter size, as they were using their own line. Using a different brand will give many more options in that regard. Everything can be better determined once we look at the bends necessary to fit the filter closer to the 'flapper valve' inlet. That is the technical term, correct? :D

I guess the main question would be, for those interested, what is an acceptable price point? I know roughly what parts cost will be for this, but adding in labor time to fab + PM to make it worthwhile as a retail product will have this in the $300-350 range. I will have a better idea after the 11th.

Tailwalker

Registered Member
ILM, NC
Thank you for the interest guys. The fabrication date got pushed back to the 18th (from the 11th) due to a pre-existing event for the shop. I will continue to update you guys as I have more news.
One thing I can offer up is that we will be using K&N dry cone filters due to the size availability. The Genesis MAF is an odd size, otherwise we would have gone with Amsoil.

GS300CKY

Registered Member
Hey I'm in for this, ironically enough I just got my car back from a race/fab shop by me and they were saying the gains for the intake are fairly minimum due to how well they designed it and how large the piping already is. They where going to leave the stock air box and make some new piping and weld in the new bung then call it good.
Pm me and let me know what your shop is looking at or achieving with hp and $$$
I don't want to thread jack you

Tailwalker

Registered Member
ILM, NC
We have no estimates at this point. Yes the tubing is fairly large and more or less direct, but the silencers and whatnot are an impact as is the flapper. Removing all of this 'interference' should give good results.

The estimated costs are listed previously in the thread, which would include the filter. Costs may be lower, as we actually do not know the amount of time necessary to fab this. I think the majority of time will be spent on the heat shield. Once we have purchased all the necessary ingredients and mocked up the first unit, I will convey what the shop feels is a good value for all parties. At that point I will share the contact info. No sense in doing so until they feel this is a viable product.

Tailwalker

Registered Member
ILM, NC
Guys - the fabrication/test fit day is Saturday, October 18th. I know there is a lot of dead time between now and then; we are still planning this and will be moving forward as the schedule allows. Please be patient, and I will update everyone with the information and pictures/video when I return to the office that Monday morning.

I know there have been a lot of 'promises' from numerous sources that a product is being made. What I can say is that I own a Genny (obviously) and am having this made for myself, no matter what vendors or other sources may offer. The interest from other forum members like those posting on this thread determines whether or not the product will be offered for sale by the shop. Either way, I am getting an intake made for my car by my exhaust shop. lol.

I just wanted to put this out there to clarify any confusion. I have received a few PM's from various people in this regard, and felt an updated post was necessary. It's great that there is quite a bit of interest with this, and I know many of you just want confirmation that something will be available. I am happy that a shop was found that can assist with this in a timely and hopefully cost effective manner. I know others have back up plans as well, in case my pursuit of this falls through. I will communicate all information I have gained to those interested as I get it, in case they do want to pursue their own options.

I hope I'm not coming across as an ass...that is certainly not my intent. I just want us as a community (V8 owners) to have a viable product, no matter what the source. I will work to that end as best I can with all interested.

thanks

Tailwalker

Registered Member
ILM, NC
So a little update - I have purchased all the parts, and have scheduled the dyno time for later in the day on the 18th. I should have pictures and video of the pulls that following Monday. Depending on the time it takes to fabricate the heat shield end of things, I feel pretty confident that I can convince the shop to have this available at a fairly aggressive price point.