5.0 trouble

V8freak

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Hey guys! Just curious if I somehow ended up with the only lemon out there or if other people are having trouble with their 5.0 too?!! I have a 2015 5.0 and it has been nothing but trouble since day one. For starters I bought it wrecked so it has a rebuilt title voiding any warranty that might be on it. I first noticed that it was not shifting right when you would really get on it. I took it to the mechanic and long story short he ended up finding shavings in my engine after replacing the two fuel pumps ($2500) and other parts. He then decided that the car was just going into limp mode since it knew it had engine problems. So I forked out another $6500 for him to put another used engine in it. Now it’s back at square one with the shift problems again. Basically it runs fine until you put the pedal on the boards and then when it needs to shift it just pulses the throttleAnd will not catch the next gear until you back off! I finally took it to another dealer and they are telling me my fuel pumps are throwing codes and also my Cadillac converter‘s are bad and several other things. I hate to say it but I’m afraid this will be the last Genesis I will ever own or encourage anyone else to own!!! Does anyone have any experience with this or could they point me in the right direction to fix the problem?

Attachments

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

V8freak

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Wrecked. Rebuilt Title. Voided warranty. (Salvage Title).

And you are BLAMING GENESIS???

Look in the mirror. That is the person to. Blame.
I aint blaming nobody but it i am getting a bad taste for Genesis. Ive personally rebuilt at least 5 of my own personal vehicles and this is the first one to give me any problems. Don’t get me wrong I love the car but im tired of dumping money into it with nothing to show for it. I had a 2014 Chevy SS last summer and im wishing with all my heart I hadn’t sold it. Just got a 2016 Grand Cherokee SRT8 to replace my Genny. Anyone looking for a project my car is for sale!

Attachments

V8freak

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Who did the rebuild? Sounds like there may have been many hand doing things to it and anything may have been effed up along the way. It may not be a tranny problem but a computer problem.

I'd find a really good Genesis tech to look it over and check the codes. If the Caddy converters are bad they can even be causing sensors to do something. Not knowing what caused the problem with a wreck, blaming Genesis for the problems makes no sense at all. It may be the repair crew.

One more thing. Nice looking car, but unless you own the dealership, ditch the ugly advertising license plate frame.
I did most of it myself. And I agree with you that it’s probably a computer problem but I cant find a good tech. 😕 Anybody know of a good one around northern IN? The engine is the biggest deal to me... my mechanic tells me to sell it before this one goes bad! He says it’s getting a rotten name in the mechanic network he uses. Lol! You dont like that? I think its cool 😉

Rspected

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Problem is you need to update your Cadillac converters to Mercedes converters.

Any shifting problems will have to do with transmission and the TCM.

You bought an accident vehicle and expected it to be perfect?

V8freak

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Your local Genesis dealer would be your best bet. I'd get a pre-purchase inspection at the same time you are having the engine looked at.
I tried taking it to my local Hyundai dealer and they acted like they didn’t know anything about itBut they would be more than happy to start dumping money into it to try to fix it. Maybe it needs to be an actual genesis dealer?

V8freak

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type

You bought an accident vehicle and expected it to be perfect?
LOL I was doing voice to text and that’s how it spelled it. That’s what I thought too but my mechanic is saying that the reason it’s not shifting is because it is dropping the demand for fuel pressure to an unreasonably low number at 5500 rpm’s. No offense but actually yeah I did. Ive rebuilt quite a few vehicles that were hit a lot harder than this and they were just fine when I got done with them. Also this Problem didn’t start till after I had been driving it awhile. So I am starting to wonder if it was even related to the accident. I’m sure my bad engine had nothing to do with the accident since it sounds like they are known for their bad engines. 😕

LD5050

Zorg Industries
SUPPORTING MEMBER
East Texas
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Last edited:

V8freak

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I’m sure Genesis would work with you if you called them and told them the entire story.
It’s clearly a design/engineering/manufacturing error on their end.
They’d be wise not to upset an influencer, or else their sales could suffer the consequences.
Thanks!! You think id hold enough sway though? I mean whats one guy with a few problems? 😕

V8freak

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I’m sure Genesis would work with you if you called them and told them the entire story.
They’d be wise not to upset an influencer, or else their sales could suffer the consequences.
Also by Genesis do you mean a dealer? Or is there somewhere higher up that I could call?

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

A Cadillac converter would be directly attributable to a transmission shift problem. I'd use a Genesis torque converter. :sneaky:
We are not going to let the Cadillac/Catalytic auto-correct/voice-to-text faux pas go. :p

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Also by Genesis do you mean a dealer? Or is there somewhere higher up that I could call?
You can give them a try but I don't think Genesis will get involved since it is a Hyundai product. Probably best to dump it at this point.

BlancaGenny

Been here awhile...
AUTHORIZED VENDOR
Rapid City
Genesis Model Type

V8freak

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
A Cadillac converter would be directly attributable to a transmission shift problem. I'd use a Genesis torque converter. :sneaky:
We are not going to let the Cadillac/Catalytic auto-correct/voice-to-text faux pas go. :p
Haha ok whatever i just want my car back😉

V8freak

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Th
Is there any indication of water damage? It might've been wrecked, but it might've been wrecked being pulled away by water. That's too many problems, IMO, to have just from a wreck.
That is something I hadnt ever thought about... man i hope not!! I havent really noticed any signs of water damage but I wasn’t exactly looking for it either I guess! 😕

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.