60k service

cet1911

Hasn't posted much yet...
Austin, TX
Has anyone done the 60k service on their Genesis? I have an 09 and they quoted me $1200. I need to know if it's worth it. BTW my sunroof malfunctioned and the part is on back order to the end of the year, just FYI.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
There is no such thing as 60K mile service (or any other milestone). These are "package deals" offered by the dealer to empty your wallet.

Look in the Owner's Manual and determine each of the individual things that need to be done. Do not include inspections (dealer will do inspections for free when they do other things, since they are looking for ways to increase revenue).

At 60K miles, the 2009 needs the following replaced:

• AIR CLEANER FILTER
  • CLIMATE CONTROL AIR FILTER
  • FUEL TANK AIR FILTER
  • Oil Change and Oil Filter if not already done in last 5000 miles.
$1200 ? Give me a break.

cet1911

Austin, TX
Thanks, on the phone she said they would flush all the fluids but I thought the tranny was sealed and did not need to be replace. She also said they would replace or flush my rear differential fluid....A bunch of BS huh?

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Thanks, on the phone she said they would flush all the fluids but I thought the tranny was sealed and did not need to be replace. She also said they would replace or flush my rear differential fluid....A bunch of BS huh?
Total BS. Owner's Manual does not show any drain or replace of the transmission fluid (which is synthetic on the Genesis) up to 150,000 miles (the limit of chart in the manual).

Same for rear differential, unless it has been submerged in water (then replace fluid immediately).

The people you talked to probably don't even know anything about the Genesis and are used to other Hyundai models where regular transmission fluid changes are required. Or maybe they do know and are trying to flush your wallet.

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
If I remember correctly, the Genesis' owners manual states to "inspect" the diff fluid at 60,000 miles. I guess it depends more on how you drive. I know I will get mine flushed at 60,000 since I drive harder than most drive.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
If I remember correctly, the Genesis' owners manual states to "inspect" the diff fluid at 60,000 miles. I guess it depends more on how you drive. I know I will get mine flushed at 60,000 since I drive harder than most drive.
Newer transmissions designed to work with synthetic fluid are quite a bit different than those you have probably been accustomed to. It is very difficult to even replace the fluid on a Genesis, for good reason.

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
Newer transmissions designed to work with synthetic fluid are quite a bit different than those you have probably been accustomed to. It is very difficult to even replace the fluid on a Genesis, for good reason.
I agree with you Mark, but I'm speaking of the rear differential. I will admit a rear dif flush isn't much money if you get it done at a non-dealer.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I agree with you Mark, but I'm speaking of the rear differential. I will admit a rear dif flush isn't much money if you get it done at a non-dealer.
Sorry, didn't notice you said "diff". I wonder what kind of fluid they use for that?

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Here are the specs for the 2009 4.6L from HMA Service:

Differential

Oil type
Hypoid gear oil (API GL-5, SAE 80W/90)

Oil capacity (L)
About 0.75~0.80

Reduction gear type
Hypoid gear

Reduction gear ratio

Final drive gear backlashmm(in.)
0.10 ~ 0.15

Differential gear backlashmm(in.)
0 ~ 0.076

wallymn

Been here awhile...
MN
I had the 60k service done... 342$ the add on I had done was the rear diff drain.... I don't trust running 150k ....

if the tranny wasn't a sealed system I likely would have added that.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I had the 60k service done... 342$ the add on I had done was the rear diff drain.... I don't trust running 150k ....

if the tranny wasn't a sealed system I likely would have added that.
I wonder if they used the correct gear oil, since most Hyundai's don't require Hypoid gear oil?

cet1911

Austin, TX
I just scheduled my 60K service for this Friday. Looks like I will bepaying around $400 for it. This includes fuel filter replacement, coolant flush, air cabin filter replcement, climate control filter replacement, and rear diff fluid replacement. I opted to replace the rear diff with a synthetic so it will last longer. Is that a good idea? Also as you can see I am about to be out of bumper to bumper warranty, is there something I should have the dealer to look at that might be worned or needs replacement before I'm out of warranty?

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
I just scheduled my 60K service for this Friday. Looks like I will bepaying around $400 for it. This includes fuel filter replacement, coolant flush, air cabin filter replcement, climate control filter replacement, and rear diff fluid replacement. I opted to replace the rear diff with a synthetic so it will last longer. Is that a good idea? Also as you can see I am about to be out of bumper to bumper warranty, is there something I should have the dealer to look at that might be worned or needs replacement before I'm out of warranty?
Replace Tilt steering wheel switch. If your's does not move all the way up when easy exit feature is on.

TJPark01

Been here awhile...
Hollywood, CA
What year is your car? Seriously all of the things you list, the only thing I would have the dealer do is the coolant. All the other stuff you can pop open and replace yourself. The fuel filter doesn't need to be touched unless you're having a problem, and neither does the diff unless it's been submerged in water.

Philth

Been here awhile...
I would change both the diff and the trans fluid at 60k regardless of what the manual says--regardless if it needs it or not. That's a long time on those fluids.

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
I would change both the diff and the trans fluid at 60k regardless of what the manual says--regardless if it needs it or not. That's a long time on those fluids.
It is a long time on those fluids, but these are modern cars, and not a 2001 GTP. The only way I'd touch the tranny fluid before 100,000 miles is if the price was too good of a deal to pass up. I'd maybe do the diff around 60,000 because of my driving habits:), but have you priced out a tranny flush on the Genesis's sealed tranny:D??

Philth

Been here awhile...
Is it like the 2011+ Sonata's "sealed" trans? If so, there wasn't much to it, and it drained and filled like a manual transmission. Wasn't hard at all.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.