6MT Owners - Discussion Thread

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
i wanted to start a thread dedicated to 6MT trims, either CAD or US Spec. i assume there are other 6MT owners out there by now, and hopefully we have another forum member or three...so let's discuss issues related to our 'rare' trims.

One thing i've noticed so far is that unless i am in Sport mode, there is an annoying lag in response after engaging 1st gear. it's almost like the engine cuts out for a brief moment - this is not turbo lag. i'm wondering if any other 6MT owners have noticed a similar thing. as a result, i automatically switch to Sport mode every time i drive. each other drive mode introduces the lag. the drop in response happens at every pull away in 1st, and is most noticeable for relaxed take-offs in normal commuting.

PD705

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Don't own a 6MT right now (will be swapping into one come spring time), but I'm quite familiar with what you're referring to. Just the way the car is calibrated. For my driving style, I do the same as you - I simply flip the car into Sport Mode on start up.

It's funny, the last few days I've really been pining for the manual. I should be able to get into a 2.0T Sport by April or May... I'm thinking Casablanca White. :)

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ thanks, at least it's not just my car. i'm hoping there may be tuning options down the road that will help to adjust factory calibration...and 'enhance' other parameters as well. it is quite irritating, but i agree that Sport mode helps considerably.

TW428

Registered Member
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I also noticed this when I demo'd the Sport 2.0T a couple of weeks ago. It seemed to improve after switching to Sport mode. I take delivery of my SI 6MT tomorrow, so I too will probably be transitioning to Sport mode on start-up to help mitigate this condition while battling GTA traffic.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ cool, hope delivery goes well. you guys have the glass Genesis delivery trailer out there. my ride was delivered via flat-deck.

curious to hear your initial feedback on 6MT ownership. we will be a sparse bunch, but likely over-represented on this forum is history holds true with other forums.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ cool, hope delivery goes well. you guys have the glass Genesis delivery trailer out there. my ride was delivered via flat-deck.

curious to hear your initial feedback on 6MT ownership. we will be a sparse bunch, but likely over-represented on this forum is history holds true with other forums.
Is that exclusive to Ontario and Quebec?
Thought the glass trailer was standard across Canada.
I declined cause I didn't want to attract too much attention. My GXM asked a few times!

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ i believe only Edmonton and TO have the glass trailer. not sure how Edmonton got theirs before Vancity, but there you go.

i would have liked the glass trailer routine had it been an option. pretty quiet street and a little neighbour envy doesn't hurt. the flat deck was OK, but didn't make the same impact as a glass trailer would have...

cmfhsu

I'd like to take this time to ask any US-based individuals interested in a 6MT who would also like a HUD as standard to please call Genesis of North America at (844) 340-9741 to express your feedback. The US-spec version is notably missing the Heads Up Display which comes as standard in Canada and other markets!

I spoke with a lovely rep who recommended I get the word out on any Genesis forums in order to strengthen this feedback to Genesis NA.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Update to the rumor that the 6MT was being dropped for the CAD market after 2019: false!

PD705 clarified this nasty rumor was not true in a separate thread. i am curious what, if any, changes will be made to the trim spec for 2020...and when or if that 2.5T being developed will continue with a 6MT offering.

TW428

Registered Member
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Took delivery of my SI on Wednesday....the whole 'white glove' treatment from the folks at Genesis Yorkdale. I then took it to a local detailer to have some paint protection film added to the hood/fenders/headlights. I also picked up a set of TuxMats which I'm very pleased with. So far, I couldn't be happier with my new ride. One thing that I have noticed is that the leather boot on the shifter is pretty stiff and makes a noise when I shift. Anyone else notice this? Does the leather soften up?

Attachments

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Took delivery of my SI on Wednesday....the whole 'white glove' treatment from the folks at Genesis Yorkdale. I then took it to a local detailer to have some paint protection film added to the hood/fenders/headlights. I also picked up a set of TuxMats which I'm very pleased with. So far, I couldn't be happier with my new ride. One thing that I have noticed is that the leather boot on the shifter is pretty stiff and makes a noise when I shift. Anyone else notice this? Does the leather soften up?
congrats! wish i had that trailer service...pretty cool idea.

the boot leather is quite firm, yes. mine hasn't softened up yet, but i need to go at it with my usual leather conditioner which may help. cold weather makes it worse, for sure. but i do miss the softer leather of previous cars. mine doesn't make any noise when i shift. that would be frustrating.

steintm12

#SaveTheManuals
Chicago, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It's nice to see it show up in the northern US, where almost all the G70 inventory is AWD (I'm also in AWD territory - Chicago). Also pleased that Forward Collision Avoidance (FCA) is included (per the window sticker), especially after seeing it in action in that ANCAP video. I was hoping it would be, but hadn't seen confirmation.

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thought I would post details from the WS...

STANDARD FEATURES:

ADVANCED SAFETY TECHNOLOGY
· Vehicle Stability Management
· ESC with Traction Control & Brake Assist
· 7 Airbags Including Driver's Knee Airbag
· Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist with Pedestrian Detection
· Blind-Spot Collision Warning with Rear Cross-Traffic Collision Warning
· Lane Keeping Assist
· Driver Attention Warning
· Rearview Camera with Parking Guidelines
· High Beam Assist
· Hillstart Assist Control
· Brembo® Braking System with Performance Brake Pads
· Tire Mobility Kit

POWERTRAIN TECHNOLOGY
· 2.0L I4 T-GDI (255HP / 260lb-ft)
· 6-Speed Manual Transmission
· Drive Mode Select with Custom Mode Setting
· Rack-mounted Motor-Driven Power Steering
· MacPherson Strut Front & Multi-Link Rear Suspension
· Limited-Slip Differential
· 19" Alloy Wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Summer Tires - Front: P225/40R19, Rear: P255/35R19
· Sport Exhaust System
· Twin-Tip Exhaust

COMFORT & CONVENIENCE
· Proximity Key with Push Button start
· Automatic Full LED Headlights & LED Taillights
· LED Daytime Running Lights
· Heated Outside Mirrors with LED Turn Signal
· Auto-Dimming Inside Rearview Mirror with HomeLink®
· Leatherette Seating Surfaces
· 14-Way Power Driver Seat Incl. 4-Way Lumbar
· 8-Way Power Front Passenger Seat
· Heated & Ventilated Front Seats
· Aluminum Interior Trim
· Integrated Memory System
· Power Tilt-and-Telescopic Steering Wheel
· Perforated Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel
· Dual Automatic Temperature Control
· 7" Color LCD Multi-Information Display
· 8" Display Audio with Apple CarPlay(TM) and Android Auto(TM)
· Lexicon® 15-Speaker Audio w/ Quantum Logic® Surround & Clari-Fi(TM) Music Restoration
· AM/FM/HD Radio®
· SiriusXM® Radio w/90 Day Trial; Not Available in AK & HI
· Bluetooth® Hands-Free Phone System
· 3 USB Ports (2 Front & 1 Rear)
· 60/40 Split Folding Rear Seats
· Power Windows with Front & Rear Auto Down/Up
· Stainless Steel Door Sill Plates & Alloy Pedals
· Hand-Free Smart Trunk with Auto Open

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
a few interesting things from the US 6MT sticker:

1544546768886.png

i want:

1. Power passenger seat
2. vented front seats
3. illuminated door sills.

for the CAD market, i haven't even seen the illuminated sills as an accessory option. i would have paid for those in a heartbeat. i've known about the US 6MT getting the vented front seats for a while (doh!) but i didn't know about the power passenger seat. such an odd trim mix that Genesis did between US and CAD. i do love the quilted nappa leather, but the US didn't get completely shafted.

i don't think CAD got the power tilt steering wheel either. can't recall since i never adjusted mine, i'll check later.

edit: just had a look at the US and CAD Genesis configurators: illuminated sills do not come up as an option. some sort of dealer-exclusive accessory?

Last edited:

cmfhsu

I do like the power passenger seat & ventilated front seat, but I really, REALLY wish the US version came with a heads up display. I might have to buy one early anyway just to vote with my wallet. Save the manuals!

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
a few interesting things from the US 6MT sticker:

View attachment 17055

i want:

1. Power passenger seat
2. vented front seats
3. illuminated door sills.

for the CAD market, i haven't even seen the illuminated sills as an accessory option. i would have paid for those in a heartbeat. i've known about the US 6MT getting the vented front seats for a while (doh!) but i didn't know about the power passenger seat. such an odd trim mix that Genesis did between US and CAD. i do love the quilted nappa leather, but the US didn't get completely shafted.

i don't think CAD got the power tilt steering wheel either. can't recall since i never adjusted mine, i'll check later.

edit: just had a look at the US and CAD Genesis configurators: illuminated sills do not come up as an option. some sort of dealer-exclusive accessory?
They have some active safety features that were deleted on the Canadian 6MT.