A Little Love for the 2.0T AWD

PJ Genesis

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
At this point I feel that my driving experience in the 2.0T is sufficient to provide an opinion about how the 2.0T drives and to debunk the lackluster comments about the 2.0T made by the automotive press. We're about 3,000 miles in just about 3 months. I've been using the car for long commutes and short trips. I will concentrate on the handling and engine characteristics rather than a whole car review.

Handling- Really solid directional stability. The willingness to turn in and stability through a curve is very reassuring. Truly fun to put the car into the curves and how stable it stays in the sweepers. Lean is a bit more then expected, and bumps encountered in a curve can cause some upset. That doesn't ruin the experience and you get used to how it reacts to road imperfections in the curves.
The suspension is comfortable on bumpy roads and given the handling, the firmness/comfort tradeoff is pretty good. All in all a refined driving experience and while maybe not up to BMW levels, it is a very enjoyable car to drive.

Power/Engine- So lets not try to compare it to the 3.3T. I have not driven a 3.3T, so my thoughts are independent of that engine. Truthfully, we have a younger driver in the house, and he uses the car often and I like the fact that it isn't stupid fast like the 3.3T.
From a standstill, the 2.0T has a bit of a laggy gas pedal. You get used to it, and you learn to push through the lag and the engine does respond. No issue keeping up with traffic, and getting away from it when you want to.
Mid range power is truly fine and even fun. When you put your foot into it, the transmission readily downshifts providing an immediate surge of power. Then, the turbo pressure boots up continuing into a very impressive surge of speed.
Highway fuel economy can hit 30mpg, and when traffic gets thick, it will drop to about 20mpg. I think those numbers handily beat the 3.3T, but few people really care about fuel economy unless you do a lot of driving.
The 2.0T is not the most refined engine, but I have not heard about any bad problems. It seems durable and proven. We are in this car for the long haul, so I hope my impressions are correct.

You have to keep in mind, this is a 3800 lb, all wheel drive sedan powered by a small engine with the help of a turbo.

Opting for the 2.0T allowed us to get the fully equipped AWD Sport edition at a fabulous discount. I would compare what I paid to a fully loaded Honda Accord, but it really compares to the BMW 3 series and Audi A4.

For those on the fence, don't fear the 2.0T, it really has a fun and practical element to it. If you don't need a rocket, go for it and enjoy.

Last edited:

rmod

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Well rounded summary (y)

I've gotten (mostly) rid of the throttle issue by adding a "pedal tuner". Makes the throttle response in comfort and eco mode feel like the one mapped in sport mode. The Theta II engine has a bit of a bitter past....hopefully the issues have been ironed out.

PJ Genesis

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Well rounded summary (y)

I've gotten (mostly) rid of the throttle issue by adding a "pedal tuner". Makes the throttle response in comfort and eco mode feel like the one mapped in sport mode. The Theta II engine has a bit of a bitter past....hopefully the issues have been ironed out.
Good idea with the pedal tuner. At least we have a 10 year/100k mi warranty on the engine. Sleeping well at night.

rmod

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
5 year / 100K kms (60k miles) in Canada 😐...but still something!

Ernie3647

Been here awhile...
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Middletown NY
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I have driven the 2.0 as loner and I will agree that it is a very capable car with a slight handling edge over mine and we can all agree it is a stunningly beautiful car in any configuration.

PJ Genesis

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have driven the 2.0 as loner and I will agree that it is a very capable car with a slight handling edge over mine and we can all agree it is a stunningly beautiful car in any configuration.
Recent funny story on the G70 looks. We had a few work vans at the house on Saturday, and the crew was wrapping up their work when I arrived home in my 3 year old Porsche 911. Completely ignoring the Porsche, one of the workman asked about the Genesis sitting on the driveway, telling me it was just beautiful. Well, who needs a Porsche anyway??

PJ Genesis

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Not gonna lie, a 3.3T is a pretty tempting car. A vacancy will develop in my fleet in about a year due to a lease return, just may bring another G70 (3.3T this time) into the mix.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums