• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

ABS brake module failed

martyk

Registered Member
My ABS brake module failed on Tuesday afternoon. I had very little braking power, pedal goes to the floor. I bought it to the dealer and they said the brake module needs to be replaced. The service guy said they have to have it inspected by Hyundai warranty people to get it approved because I have the extended warranty and the price would be about $2,300 to fix.

I bought the Genesis in Oct. 2011 new. It is a 2012 with 32,789 miles.

Marty

vast

Registered Member
Raleigh NC
Do you know if the ABS Module also controls the traction control? The other day my transaction control kicked on and after that my brake pedal goes to the floor before it grabs.

Gunkk

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Florida
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Stability Control yes for sure it uses the ABS.

Traction Control: probably. Most modern cars retard timing and cut throttle reduce rear wheel torque, bogging the engine. The early 2012 5.0 was notorious for bogging while mashing the gas while turning out into traffic, to the point where HMA issued a TSB and had ECU/TCUs reprogrammed (but that was as much a SC thing as a TC thing). I'll bet the Genesis also uses the brakes as well to help transfer torque if one of the rear wheels is spinning (snow, ice, etc.). Not sure, don't get that around here too often :hangloose:

If you still have a soft pedal, get it looked at.

JerryB52

Hasn't posted much yet...
Ormond Beach, Florida
Genesis Model Type
I've had some problems with my braking also. But, instead of the pedal going to the floor mine stays at the top and doesn't seem to be engaging the brake. This has happened 2 or 3 times.
I took it to the dealership and they said they couldn't find a problem and charged me $80. (At least they changed the oil.)
My warranty is long gone and don't have the extended. Is this something that I can fix?

Gunkk

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Florida
Genesis Model Type
A firm pedal and no brakes (like a vacuum booster is leaking or has no vacuum) is not something I've experienced on this car.

Is this something that I can fix?
Not unless you have a computer interface and a brake fluid flushing/bleeding machine.

martyk

Registered Member
Just pick up my Genesis after 8 days to replace my ABS brake module. The bill:
Hydraulic Module 2,087.31
DOT Brake Fluid: 5.00
Labor: 225.00
Calif. Tax: 151.70
Total: 2,469.01
Marty

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
And can we assume your warranty covered all of that?
Not unless he had an extended warranty. The HECU unit is covered by the normal 5 year - 60K warranty. Since his forum join date is Aug 2011, I am guessing that his regular warranty has expired.

vast

Registered Member
Raleigh NC
I am at 70,000 miles so my module won't be covered. I am going to buy one off ebay and have my mechanic install.

dadgonebroke

Nature Coast of Florida
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Coupe (2009-2016)
My '12 3.8 with 78k miles got the mushy brake while I'm on vacation 1500 miles from home. There were no warning lights on the dash indicated ABS module malfunction. Braking was so bad that I had it towed to the dealer after a gas station wanted to replace the master cylinder.
I talked to the Hyundai service writer and they want to bleed the brake system as it appears they don't believe the ABS module is bad. I'll find out their results tomorrow am. Guess it could be worse as I'm stuck in Florida for a couple more days.

dadgonebroke

Nature Coast of Florida
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Coupe (2009-2016)
My '12 3.8 with 78k miles got the mushy brake while I'm on vacation 1500 miles from home. There were no warning lights on the dash indicated ABS module malfunction. Braking was so bad that I had it towed to the dealer after a gas station wanted to replace the master cylinder.
I talked to the Hyundai service writer and they want to bleed the brake system as it appears they don't believe the ABS module is bad. I'll find out their results tomorrow am. Guess it could be worse as I'm stuck in Florida for a couple more days.
I sure had my doubts that a flush would fix the mushy pedal but after a 1700 mile trip, I can safely say it worked!

Jerziboi

I had this happen to me last year around this time in the snow, slid a little ABS light came on pedal went to the floor only way to stop was to pump the brakes quickly. After backing up and pumping the brakes several times brakes were fine drove to the dealer to have it checked and they couldn't find anything wrong I showed them a number of online complaints about the same thing and their answer was the car is out of warranty I would have to pay for it out of pocket. Car drove fine until the other day when the brake monster raised it's head again in the snow it seems like whenever the ABS kicks in the brakes go to the floor tried the backing up pumping the brakes didn't work this time so I power braked a few times and bam brakes back to normal. I'm going to order the module and have a mechanic install it....not a good feeling not knowing if your going to be able to stop or not when your running 85+ on the highway.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I had this happen to me last year around this time in the snow, slid a little ABS light came on pedal went to the floor only way to stop was to pump the brakes quickly. After backing up and pumping the brakes several times brakes were fine drove to the dealer to have it checked and they couldn't find anything wrong I showed them a number of online complaints about the same thing and their answer was the car is out of warranty I would have to pay for it out of pocket. Car drove fine until the other day when the brake monster raised it's head again in the snow it seems like whenever the ABS kicks in the brakes go to the floor tried the backing up pumping the brakes didn't work this time so I power braked a few times and bam brakes back to normal. I'm going to order the module and have a mechanic install it....not a good feeling not knowing if your going to be able to stop or not when your running 85+ on the highway.
The HECU failures do manifest themselves when the anti-lock breaking system is used, so I would definitely get the HECU replaced. That is different from the issue above where the brakes are continuously spongy due to needing the brake fluid replaced.

You might "try" to file a case with Hyundai Motor America to see if they will extend the warranty on that, since the early ones (around 2009-2010) had defects in the design of the valves that causes the problem. The HECU was made by Continental.

I would also spend 3 minutes and log your incident at the NHTSA website. This is something that the NHTSA should have issued a complete replacement on, other than the recall they issued to just replace the fluid or to do an external inspection.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

SPIKE383

Metro DC
The initial diagnosis from my mushy brakes on my 12' 3.8 in December 2018 resulted in front caliper replacement, brake hoses and flush/fill brake fluid to the tune of $1,700.00 at dealer in NoVa. With the problem still unresolved, a second flush/fill of brake fluid was done, but little improvement in brake performance. A third visit and diagnosis in Jan 2019 rang the bell to the tune of $2,750.00 to replace the hydraulic module. No extended warranty, all out of pocket, but offset by $750.00 for the initial misdiagnosis, a 'free' rental while the part was ordered and work was done, and 'free' flush/fill. Now my brakes work as they should: they stop this bad boy on a dime. Small cost to pay for life, limb and certainty at 90mph (smile).