• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

ACC help needed

tprjimmi

Sustaining Member
I live up in the sedan section but haven't received the help I'm hoping for. I HATE this ACC; has anyone come up with a way to eliminate the radar portion so that it will work as a nomal cruise control? The '15s had it bit not the first generation. No way to tell you how much I hate this thing!

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I live up in the sedan section but haven't received the help I'm hoping for. I HATE this ACC; has anyone come up with a way to eliminate the radar portion so that it will work as a nomal cruise control? The '15s had it bit not the first generation. No way to tell you how much I hate this thing!
It would help to have proper information. The group you posted to is the Genesis coupe yet you say you live in the sedan section. What do you have? It can be put in your bio information.

By ACC I;m guessing you don't mean Accessory but the SCC, Smart Cruse Control. In most sedans you just hod the button that adjusts the distance and it reverts to manual cruise.

tprjimmi

Sustaining Member
Sorry about my imprecise wording. I obviously have a sedan ('13) and these do not revert to "normal" as does the second generation Genesis. I thought that coupe owners,by personality, might be more adventurous and fid the SCC as bothersome as do I.

16UltV6Guy

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Jacksonville, FL
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I HATE this ACC; has anyone come up with a way to eliminate the radar portion so that it will work as a nomal cruise control? The '15s had it bit not the first generation. No way to tell you how much I hate this thing!
What is it that you hate so much about it?

If there is not a car in front of you, it will just maintain the set speed, like manual cruise control does.

If there is a car in front of you, is it your desire to run up onto the back of it or follow at what is generally considered an unsafe following distance? Why wouldn't you want to slow down, or just change lanes and go around it?

I'm not sure I see what the big problem is with it. Am I missing something here?

Edit: Upon further searching and reading of another thread on this exact subject, I see others posting about the dislike for some of the actions that the 1G SCC does. Some people like to ride up closer to the car in front of them than the 1-bar-following-setting will allow them to, before changing lanes. (Someone's suggested solution = Change lanes sooner.) Others dislike the way the car brakes when someone cuts in front of them, and would rather the car not brake for them, which can cause others behind them to also brake. (One person's solution = Tap cancel when that situation happens or is anticipated to happen.)

I realize these solutions may not appeal to you though.

In reading that thread though, it does appear that the Smart part of the CC can not be disabled on the 1G Genesis. Apparently Hyundai heard the feedback and made the change to the 2G Genesis to be able to "unsmart" the CC.

Last edited:

tprjimmi

Sustaining Member
Thanks for the reply. I'm (personal opinion) a "smooth" driver and like to sweep around the car in front. One silly millimeter too close and the car slows drastically, leaving me between lanes with a following vehicle in the passing lane suddenly surprised by me slowed down. I prefer to drive the car,not go along for the ride. I just returned from a 1400 mile trip on interstates and was talking to myself after a while! I was hoping for a "just cut that wire" sort of fix. Oh well; thanks again.

16UltV6Guy

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Jacksonville, FL
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Yea. Gotcha. I agree. The car doesn't brake as smooth or as gently as I'd like in that situation. Would love for it to be a little more anticipatory and maybe just coast instead of immediately braking. That might be a 3G improvement!?

Looks like rather than the "cut the wire" fix you desire, it's gonna be a "cut a check" (for a 2G Genny) fix. ;)

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Thanks for the reply. I'm (personal opinion) a "smooth" driver and like to sweep around the car in front. One silly millimeter too close and the car slows drastically, leaving me between lanes with a following vehicle in the passing lane suddenly surprised by me slowed down. I prefer to drive the car,not go along for the ride. I just returned from a 1400 mile trip on interstates and was talking to myself after a while! I was hoping for a "just cut that wire" sort of fix. Oh well; thanks again.
Computers don't anticipate the way people do. You see brake lights three cars ahead and take your foot off the gas. The computer does not see that.

Now you can either not use it or re-learn a few things. If you changed lanes a bit sooner you'd not have that sudden slowdown. Not a perfect system, but you can learn to eliminate 90% or more of the imperfections and still be a smooth driver.

I've used it four years now and I'd not buy a car without it.