Accidents

Goaterguy

Getting familiar with the group...
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Looking at the selection of used G90, there is a LOT of them with accidents/severe accidents/structural damage around.

For a vehicle with basically all the safety features included, is there something I'm missing?

I obviously understand the main factor is the person behind the wheel but as a luxury sedan (I'm looking only at AWD cars) that is not expected to be hooliganed like a sport car, I wasn't expecting so many cars in the market with accidents unless there is a design flaw or issue with the car.

For example, my 2005 Pontiac GTO was imported from Australia but for Federalization, the gas tank had to be relocated from under the car to inside the trunk as a fuel cell. This raised the center of gravity making the car more tail happy than the Australian counterpart, especially with a full tank sloshing around. It was not uncommon to see owners posting how the car did a 180 on slightly wet roads. This combined with factory all season tires because GM wanted to limit the performance of other V8 cars to separate them from the Corvette made the GTO a scary car to drive in the wet.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Looking at the selection of used G90, there is a LOT of them with accidents/severe accidents/structural damage around.

For a vehicle with basically all the safety features included, is there something I'm missing?

I obviously understand the main factor is the person behind the wheel but as a luxury sedan (I'm looking only at AWD cars) that is not expected to be hooliganed like a sport car, I wasn't expecting so many cars in the market with accidents unless there is a design flaw or issue with the car.
Do they give the cause of the accident? My G80 may not be as luxurious as the G90 but I was at a full stop for a couple of minutes and was hit head on while stopped. I was behind the wheel and not the main factor other than I was on my way to the store.

Others here have been rear ended. Other than they drove to that location they did not have any fault.
Not sure what your conclusion is but with no supporting evidence it may be false.

A report by Esurance found that 77% of drivers have been in at least one accident. Your chances of getting into a car accident during a 1,000-mile trip are 1 in 366.

Car insurance estimates that the average driver will file an insurance claim for an auto collision once every 17.9 years. This means that if you obtain your driver’s license at age 16, you will likely have a crash by the time you are 34. This means the average person has 3-4 vehicle accidents over the course of their lifetime.

Chad86tsi

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
My last 3 accidents were 100% the other persons fault. 2 I was rear ended while at a dead stop, the other I was cut off by illegal turn and had no where to go but into the side of them. my cars were not a factor.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

What you are missing is seeing all the cars that have not had accidents. What proportion have had accidents? You are looking for a used car and folks who have had accident (their fault, someone else’s fault, the cars fault) probably want to sell that car, Finally, owners are likely in an older age group possibly with a higher accident rate.

I certainly couldn’t ever come to the conclusion that there is a design flaw with the car.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I was rear-ended 6 weeks after purchased of my G80 by a kid in a fast and fugly POS Acura Integra, totally a distracted driving issue, my rear dash cam could clearly make out he was farting around with his phone at the time of impact.

in a world of very distracted drivers, it is not really surprising to me.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums