Active headrest reset

Brynjar

Hasn't posted much yet...
I recently triggered the active headrest on my 2011 Genesis. I read thru tell forums and found the Technical bulletin on how to reset the headrest. It's pretty straight forward and easy, I got one of the two reset with ease.
However, I messed around with it before reading up on the forum and mistakenly reset the locking mechanism with my fingers without following the proper procedures in the bulletin. Now the headrest won't reset because the locking mechanism is already reset with the headrest in the triggered position. I am trying to re-trigger it to release so I can reset the proper way.

Any suggestions on simulating a rear-end collision or getting the locking mechanism to release???

xiaphin

KDModerator
SUPPORTING MEMBER
NC
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Tailwalker recently got rear-ended which set his off. He took it to a dealer and they had a hard time resetting one of them. He may be able to offer some advice.

Brynjar

If I can just find out what voltage or signal is sent to trigger the headrest, perhaps I can simulate a similar signal and retrigger the headrest so I can fix it the correct way.

xiaphin

KDModerator
SUPPORTING MEMBER
NC
Genesis Model Type
If I can just find out what voltage or signal is sent to trigger the headrest, perhaps I can simulate a similar signal and retrigger the headrest so I can fix it the correct way.
Nothing in the FSM about how the sensor works and what voltage it reads?

Brynjar

easy enough... I figured it out and its really simple.

I connected 5 aa batteries in series with tape and wire, then connected + and - wires to the 2 small leads on the tip of the leads in the headrest. ( two leads on one side of the support bars leads straight to the locking mechanism.)

i had to assist the locking mechanism release with a finger while connecting the voltage to the leads in the headrest. 5 aa batteries only product about 8 volts dc. It may require 12 vdc, which would make sense since the battery in the car is 12 vdc.

Brynjar

I don't see why not. You need to supply enough voltage to trigger the release of the mechanism.

Sluh

Registered Member
From my recent experience, if passenger seat was unoccupied, the passenger headrest will break own guts when deployed and needs to be replaced. Drivers headrest deployed but survived because I saw it coming and had my head against it ready for the impact.

iSOBigD

Registered Member
I actually drove on a road where they were doing some construction and ran over a stupid rock which luckily didn't smash my bumper (it scraped the plastic under it) but did deploy the headrests. My car didn't stop or anything, I just drove over a rock so I'm not sure what the sensor detected.

Anyway, I removed the headrests and had a real hard time resetting them. Finally I realized you should put them on the floor (on a carpet or something soft) with the top facing you then you just push the bottom end in slowly at 45 degrees, then the top part. However, the passenger side has a bit of a gap now so I'll try redeploying it and resetting or maybe it will need to be replaced like Sluh said, though I didn't see any damage inside.

Rbarrett56

nEED A TAN HEADREST FOR 2013 GENESIS . lacking plastic mechanism just snap . dealer wants $500 for new headrest and warranty wont cover it. Does any one know if good salvage yard that would carry. 2013 here is the VIN 2013 hyundai genesis headrest vin kmhgc4ddxdu243447

KookieH

Genesis Model Type
I have a 2013 Genesis. Both front headrest deployed. I read a few post about removing headrest by removing a small clip. I do not see a clip in either of mine. Therefore, cannot remove them. Can someone please, help! I do not want to take to dealership, not to mention I called them 4 days ago and no one has returned my call. I have seen comments about the 9v battery. Where exactly do I place it in order to trigger hook to reset? I am not real clear on where after reading post.
Can I manually pull hook down with pliers? Or will that break it??

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.