Active Lane Keep Assist and car sickness

Windchaser

Getting familiar with the group...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Has anyone else experienced car sickness when the Active Lane Keep Assist is enabled? My wife seems to have a big problem with motion sickness when I have the Active Lane Keep Assist enabled. If I put it in standard mode she seems fine. It doesn't seem to matter if we are on surface streets or the highway. I think it is that she is extremely sensitive to the car self correcting even though I am steering. The system is still trying to keep the car in the lane. I just found this to be interesting and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Now I just have to remember to change modes when she is in the car.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I think it is that she is extremely sensitive to the car self correcting even though I am steering. The system is still trying to keep the car in the lane. I just found this to be interesting and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
Maybe I keep too much control. I never felt a difference and it is on all the time. If you are bouncing between the lines I could see someone getting nauseous from it.

Windchaser

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Maybe I keep too much control. I never felt a difference and it is on all the time. If you are bouncing between the lines I could see someone getting nauseous from it.
I don't really feel it myself. I think there may be a difference between being the driver and the passenger. After discovering this if I concentrate very hard I can feel the car adjusting itself. I generally have a light touch on the wheel. Prior to us doing the experiment of turning it off when she is in the car I really never noticed it when it was on, unless I tested how well it would steer on its own. She did Google this and found complaints of others from people in other self driving or driving assist cars.

omegafiler

SUSTAINING MEMBER
TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
No complaints here, but I could certainly see that happening. Even in standard mode, with city driving, I do notice those minor corrections at times. That's mostly due to lines on the road either disappearing or being uneven.

Less of an issue on well maintained highways, where I generally find it more "useful." In other words, less intrusive.

So yeah, I'd just set it to alert mode or disable/enable as needed. That little button is handy, if not in the best location for easy visibility.

G80guy

Been here awhile...
Northeast
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I could feel slight changes which kind of bother me so I have mine turned off. If I'm going on a long road trip I will then turn it back on.

Starflyer

Hasn't posted much yet...
Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Has anyone else experienced car sickness when the Active Lane Keep Assist is enabled?
I traded a '16 Acura RDX in for my '18 G80 Sport which I have in LKS in "active" mode which is more positive than the RDX which just had one setting which frequently either lost the signal or tended to drift a lot in the lanes. Still, wonderful for long highway treks. I haven't tried the G80 in normal mode enough to report on it, but I DO like the Active mode. Never been boat, car or plane sick in my entire life, but I would think the active mode would be better for avoiding motion sickness.

Zipadeedude

Boston
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I haven't yet figured out what the benefit of lane keep assist is. A lighter touch on the wheel, maybe? Thing is, I steer more smoothly (as do most people, I'm sure) than the automated pilot. And if I keep a light grip on the wheel it beeps at me and tells me to keep my hands on the wheel. So I need a solid grip anyway.

So I don't use it. Seems like more of a gee whiz thing than anything else to me.

Starflyer

Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I haven't yet figured out what the benefit of lane keep assist is. Thing is, I steer more smoothly (as do most people, I'm sure) than the automated pilot. And if I keep a light grip on the wheel it beeps at me and tells me to keep my hands on the wheel.
Different stokes for different folks. I wouldn't buy a car that didn't have lane keeping. It's NOT an autopilot for starters. In town and at slow speed, it's worthless as it should be. On the highway, another story. If you're the kind of driver who aims to maintain exact lane position 100% of the time, Lane Keep is not for you. I love the feature on the highway. I pay attention to the road, but I can back off my attention to keeping exactly in the center of the lane and take in other important cues such as cars coming toward me on a 2 lane road or a 4 lane road without a center divider. Also cars at cross streets, people walking or bicycling, etc.

My former '16 RDX had lane keeping, but it was certainly sloppier than the Genesis "active" version. Even more important safety wise IMO is adaptive cruise control along with active emergency braking. If you're the kind of driver who ALWAYS wants to be 10 MPH or more faster than the speed limit, adaptive cruise control also is probably not for you as it will be braking excessively as you come up at a high rate of speed on slower vehicles, but the emergency braking still might prevent a rear ender from happening.

As for me, wave when you go past (I'm in a red G80 enjoying the drive.) I set the adaptive cruise control maybe 3-5 MPH faster than the speed limit and it's rare when I come up on a slower vehicle. A 100 mile drive at 60 MPH takes 100 minutes. At 75, it takes 80 minutes. I'm on the "spin down" part of life and the 20 minutes I would save at 75 doesn't mean anything to me UNLESS I'm trying to catch a flight or something where I'll miss something if I don't push it a bit.

Windchaser

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Different stokes for different folks. I wouldn't buy a car that didn't have lane keeping. It's NOT an autopilot for starters. In town and at slow speed, it's worthless as it should be. On the highway, another story. If you're the kind of driver who aims to maintain exact lane position 100% of the time, Lane Keep is not for you. I love the feature on the highway. I pay attention to the road, but I can back off my attention to keeping exactly in the center of the lane and take in other important cues such as cars coming toward me on a 2 lane road or a 4 lane road without a center divider. Also cars at cross streets, people walking or bicycling, etc.

My former '16 RDX had lane keeping, but it was certainly sloppier than the Genesis "active" version. Even more important safety wise IMO is adaptive cruise control along with active emergency braking. If you're the kind of driver who ALWAYS wants to be 10 MPH or more faster than the speed limit, adaptive cruise control also is probably not for you as it will be braking excessively as you come up at a high rate of speed on slower vehicles, but the emergency braking still might prevent a rear ender from happening.

As for me, wave when you go past (I'm in a red G80 enjoying the drive.) I set the adaptive cruise control maybe 3-5 MPH faster than the speed limit and it's rare when I come up on a slower vehicle. A 100 mile drive at 60 MPH takes 100 minutes. At 75, it takes 80 minutes. I'm on the "spin down" part of life and the 20 minutes I would save at 75 doesn't mean anything to me UNLESS I'm trying to catch a flight or something where I'll miss something if I don't push it a bit.
I find that I really like the active lane assist. It's unfortunate that my wife is sensitive to how the ride feels with it on. I will be using it when I am in the car alone and will only use the standard mode when she is in the car.

As for the speed limit, I find that I will drive what the general traffic flow is. Here in the Chicago area the speed limits on the highways are not followed. Driving 3 to 5 over the limit would present much more of a hazard than driving the 15 over that everyone else is driving. They recently raised the limit to 65 and 70 on the highways in the suburbs. All that really accomplished was putting the speed limits closer to what traffic is actually doing. The average speed is generally very close to 80. This was true even with the old limit of 55. I do really appreciate the adaptive cruise control. It is nice to simply set it and then move with the flow of traffic.

ACN

AZ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The Active assist is very slight in the Genesis actually. It's not very aggressive. My wife's mercedes is definitely more aggressive and I think it works better as it has two cameras as opposed to one.

The Genesis has a hard time identifying a curb as a line and losses vision regularly in intersections or if the lines are bad as opposed to our GLC which will stay active through intersections and faded lines.

ifonline

Been here awhile...
Braselton, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The one and only thing I miss from my Infiniti Q50 is the Direct Adaptive Steering with Lake Keep Assist. The steering wheel was physically disconnected from the steering mechanism of the front wheels which meant that anything that would jerk the wheels (standing water, for example) would not translate into the steering wheel and the computers (there was one specific to steering with two backup systems) would instantly correct for the movement. It also meant that when Lane Keep Assist activated, the steering wheel wouldn't jerk around, much like it seems to do in the G80 from time to time.

That said, I find the system in the G80 to be good enough. It's not quite as good as in the Infiniti, but it works for me.

lt2211

Sustaining Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Rockton, Illinois 61072
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
"Windchaser, post: 260119, member: 23039"]Has anyone else experienced car sickness when the Active Lane Keep Assist is enabled? My wife seems to have a big problem with motion sickness"

Are you sure it is LKS that is bothering her? Those changes are nearly unnoticeable, especially if you have hands on the steering wheel. More likely the slowing, speeding up of the adaptive cruise control is the aggravating factor. Depending on traffic flow, the slow down/acceleration can be "jarring". If you are steering the car correctly, your wife should feel little or no difference, between LKS on or off.

Windchaser

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
"Windchaser, post: 260119, member: 23039"]Has anyone else experienced car sickness when the Active Lane Keep Assist is enabled? My wife seems to have a big problem with motion sickness"

Are you sure it is LKS that is bothering her? Those changes are nearly unnoticeable, especially if you have hands on the steering wheel. More likely the slowing, speeding up of the adaptive cruise control is the aggravating factor. Depending on traffic flow, the slow down/acceleration can be "jarring". If you are steering the car correctly, your wife should feel little or no difference, between LKS on or off.
Definitely the ALKS. We have experimented with turning it on and off and she notices the difference almost immediately. She has felt this when I wasn’t using the adaptive cruise control.

allan

Registered Member
NJ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The one and only thing I miss from my Infiniti Q50 is the Direct Adaptive Steering with Lake Keep Assist.
Yeah, I liked the steering by wire as well. But I also miss the interconnect between the headlights and the windshield wipers. This should be standard on all cars.

lt2211

Sustaining Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Rockton, Illinois 61072
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Definitely the ALKS. We have experimented with turning it on and off and she notices the difference almost immediately. She has felt this when I wasn’t using the adaptive cruise control.
Here is the thing, if you are steering the car, LKAS does nothing, unless you should drift a bit in your lane, then it self adjusts, but only slightly and not very often, under normal conditions. Assuming you don't drift a lot, or run hands off the wheel, to see what the LKAS will do, there should be no difference to anyone in the car, LKAS off or on. But we are beating a dead horse here and I will just agree to disagree on it. :)

Last edited:

Zipadeedude

Boston
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
One of my beefs with it (and mentioned above) is that sometimes it makes mistakes and starts nudging you the wrong way. Of course you have to correct it, which is a little jarring for the poor passengers.

It doesn't drive the car. You have to. You can't keep your hands light on the wheel or it beeps at you. Actually, a tight grip is the only way to fight off those occasional steering transgressions which would otherwise result in some occasional jerky manual corrections.

For me, it has no value other than gee wiz, look at this.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
One of my beefs with it (and mentioned above) is that sometimes it makes mistakes and starts nudging you the wrong way. Of course you have to correct it, which is a little jarring for the poor passengers.

It doesn't drive the car. You have to. You can't keep your hands light on the wheel or it beeps at you. Actually, a tight grip is the only way to fight off those occasional steering transgressions which would otherwise result in some occasional jerky manual corrections.
I'd really like to take a ride with you or you with me. I never feel those nudgings under normal driving. I can understand how they would be annoying though. Either your car is over compensating or mine is under compensating. I keep enough of a grip that the alarms does not go set off.
The only value I see to the systems is if I fall asleep or drop dead it may keep me from straying.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.