• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Adaptive suspension or not?

Ed Okin

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Southern California, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

xKingfisher

Registered Member
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Google is failing me ATM, but I remember some of the reviewers saying the adaptive suspension didn't change things all that much. Especially since the basic chassis tuning is already very good.

Maybe it was from one of the video reviews after that event a couple months ago.

Ed Okin

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Southern California, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

PD705

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The regular suspension is fantastic, actually - strikes the perfect compromise between the Comfort and Sport modes of the adaptive suspension. Many around the office actually prefer the response of the fixed-rate dampers. In a nutshell, they're both excellent.

TOGuy242

Registered Member
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have the 3.3T Sport with Adaptive, and love the suspension. I did test drive the 2.0T without it, and loved the suspension. I chose the Sport for other reasons: I liked the appearance package, the LSD, headliner, seats etc. So basically if that's the ONLY thing that would make you choose one versus another, probably go with the other. The AWD is really the only option here in Canada (other than in the manual model), but would be been a requirement for me.

Ed Okin

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Southern California, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Ed Okin

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Southern California, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

JayceM

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I was kinda wondering about this as well. I really like the design edition, didn't want to miss out on the adaptive suspension.

TOGuy242

Registered Member
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thank you TOGuy242! When you say “go with the other” do you mean go with the regular or adaptive? Thx!
Well you mentioned the 3.3T “Prestige” - that wasn’t an option here in Canada (I don’t think) so not sure what the other differences are. Just pointing out that if that’s the only difference, then you’re probably good with the Prestige! The 3.3 engine is fantastic, and you’ll like the handling regardless of which suspension.

TO Genesis

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Toronto
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Kind of wish Canada got the 3.3 T Prestige as a bridge between the poverty spec 3.3 and the Sport. I prefer the interior colour offerings available for the Prestige and given it's a commuter car for me I'm happy without adaptive suspension , LSD and the Brembos. Given I spend more time looking at the interior than the exterior I might end up sticking with the 2.0 T Prestige. First world problems, I know.

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have the 3.3T Sport with adaptive, but I had a 2.0T Elite without as a loaner and I don't think it is a big loss to not have the adaptive suspension. That said, for me to not have it would mean giving up too many other features. But I wouldn't worry about a compromise in handling. I would drive both with the same engine though, as the 2.0T is definitely lighter in the front so it feels different (in a good way) compared to the 3.3T in handling already.

PD705

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thank you PD705! Which G70 trim do you have, if you don’t mind me asking? Thx!
I have a 3.3T Sport but have driven all variations extensively.

PD705

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
While we are on the topic of suspensions, is there any perceivable difference between the 2.0T normal suspension and the 3.3T sport-tuned suspension?
Yes, but they're subtle. Really, all G70 models have a sport-tuned suspension in that they're all quite firm. The "standard" suspension strikes a pretty great middle ground between firmness/wheel control and ride compliance. The 3.3T Sport with the adaptive suspension, meanwhile, splits the gap - the Comfort setting is softer, with noticeably less rebound than the standard suspension. The Sport setting, meanwhile, is firmer than the standard suspension, and gives the car a slightly heavier feel.

In terms of raw performance I'm not convinced there's any difference at all, and I say this having driven both back to back on a racing circuit. If I'm being completely honest, I think the standard suspension is the most enjoyable, but there's no denying the advantage of having the ability to adjust the setting in the 3.3T Sport - Comfort for commuting, Sport for more spirited driving.

Bald Eagle

Registered Member
San Francisco Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
It's been almost two months since the last post on this thread, and there are a lot more cars on the road, so it's time for some more comments. I'm looking for a car with firm, "European car" handling. Not a harsh or "Wanna be race car" harsh, & jiggly ride. It cost me quite a bit of money to sell two cars within a year of purchase because they were tuned badly. Every car built is some sort of compromise, and the two cars that I sold quickly went way too far toward "track car" to be a reasonable, (for me) daily driver.

The car I'm planning to replace is a '16 BMW 340i with adjustable suspension (they did a 'mid-cycle' refresh, and cured a lot of the ills of the '15 335i). I have owned and or driven a number of adjustable suspension cars including my nephew's new McClaren 725S. I'm not sure how many adjustments that car has, but there were no jiggles in either sport or comfort modes. (I have driven a lot of 'fast' cars, but now I know why they are called super cars.)

I'm asking for info rather than being able to test myself because I'm a California boy with a lease that ends in February & no dealerships in the state in the immediate future. I think PD705 answered my question pretty well, but it would be nice to hear from others who have tested the two suspensions on the 3.3 cars.

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ I will go out on a limb and say that they pretty much perfected this car in regards to the chassis. Sport is awesome...very firm but no rattling your brain. Comfort is your typical Euro great handling car.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums