adding dealer installed tow hitch

stakenborg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
That's with the Curt hitch yes. Solomookie is correct, after install the ground clearance is 9.75 " but it could/should be about 13" if the hitch was properly designed. I'm going to remove mine and re-weld the 2" square receiver an inch higher and also relocate the safety chain hooks horizontally instead of how they are now which is vertical and drops from where it is drops the total assembly down even further. This will the give me about 13" of ground clearance and will look a whole lot better also. It means cutting and re-welding then re powder coating but I'll be a lot happier. BTW if you look at the OEM hitch it has horizontal safety chain connections, not vertical like Curt.

Attachments

• IMG_1727.JPG
    IMG_1727.JPG
    338.4 KB · Views: 42

Crider

Registered Member
What I found out today and know so far. A little long winded, sorry.
I called the Curt Tech Service Center today as I've just purchased and installed their GV80 hitch through etrailer which arrived in a badly beaten up box but undamaged. I called because I had some issues and comments about their hitch design. At first Curt told me they didn't even offer a GV80 hitch but eventually returned and said "Oh yes we make it for Genesis." do we believe? I was looking at the hitch after installation and think it sits lower then it needs to, it could definitely be snugged up about an inch closer to the bottom of the bumper without any interference and would improve ground clearance and the car's departure angle. In addition the security chain anchors drop down below the 2" square receiver itself which makes the whole assembly sit even lower to the ground. It's not the cleanest design in my opinion but Curt would have none of it, claiming it's designed to manufacturer's specifications and basically goodbye. One would think they'd want to improve on their design if given the info which I offered to send with measurements and pics but not interested. Also for those of you who plan to add the hitch yourself, it's really quite simple but you need two people for sure. The fit-up is excellent with 8 plated bolts and washers supplied which screw into the chassis's pre threaded holes. It easy to install with the majority of the hitch, hidden up behind the bumper other then the drop down 2 " receiver issue as mentioned above. Another issue is with the install instructions. There's no way to drop the large horizontal exhaust muffler down far enough by only removing the 2 rubber exhaust hangers as suggested, you need to also remove the second set of rubber hangers about 1/3rd of the way towards the front of the car. Be sure to brace the exhaust system near the front and forward of the second set of hangers so as not to put undue strain on the entire exhaust system hanging down from the front. There's a cross brace between the duel exhausts which is an excellent place for this support. With the second set of hangers removed, the muffler drops down enough to easily fit the hitch.
Now to the nightmare of the hitch wiring harness or pigtail. Genesis offers one but I can't seem to purchase and dealer parts department are clueless. I believe is part # T6F61-AU000 or T6F67-AC000 the later # from a aftermarket accessory parts supplier via their website. Since most if not all GV80 are pre wired from the factory for towing, there has got to be a plug and play connection somewhere in the rear as with the Hyundai Palisade but can I find out from anyone or from Genesis themselves where this is and how it is done? NO and cant even order one never mind getting instructions on how to connect to the GV80 pre wired connection or where it's even located. Etrailer sent a generic 4 pin wring harness that requires splicing into the cars rear light wiring and no not doing that since a clean integrated plug and play pigtail is designed and exists, just can't seem to get one. Someone on this forum claims to have purchased one through a California Genesis dealer?
Anyone care to add or comment here? Somehow we need to get to the bottom of this but its pretty lame of Genesis, and it's obvious they have not thought a whole lot about GV80 owners that are going to be towing. Is there anyone else out there that goes fishing or camping? As the new guy in the WH says "Common Man!"
Good to see this is a bottom mount install, looks a lot like the Telluride/Palaisade set up. Pretty straight forward. Im hoping/assume the GV70 is the same, as bumper removal is a PITA.

Long Story

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Purchased the GV80 March 11th, and dealer included tow package was to be installed. After a 2 week wait for parts, I was told the wiring harness was defective, and a replacement was not available yet. Two months later still waiting. Not happy.

wanabe

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Unnecessarily expensive, better off with the Curt for $150. I have towed over 10,000 miles with mine without problems
Yes more expensive but it hides the hitch... if it can fit.

Gregely

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Purchased the GV80 March 11th, and dealer included tow package was to be installed. After a 2 week wait for parts, I was told the wiring harness was defective, and a replacement was not available yet. Two months later still waiting. Not happy.
Were you able to get the wiring harness yet?

Starflyer

Hasn't posted much yet...
Vancouver WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Curt units tend to look aftermarket on some cars/trucks as they hang down below the rear bumper, in the case of the GV80 there does not seem to be a cutout in the rear bumper facia to allow for a hidden hitch install but then I've not studied that area yet.
Sorry, not a GV80. This is a Curt hitch installed on my G80 Sport for a bike rack. Hangs just a tad below my bumper. On a steep inclined driveway, it can scrape a bit. I elected not to go with a wiring harness as I didn't think I would ever tow a trailer. This one, 1.25". I paid TOO much to have it installed by a local shop. Afterwords, I was told more than once I should have gone to U-Haul for the installation.

Attachments

• g80.jpg
    g80.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 8

Solomookie

Registered Member
York, PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Were you able to get the wiring harness yet?
To answer the question you posed to Long Story... I STILL haven't gotten my wiring harness. Been waiting since January; this is ridiculous. It's a wiring harness, for chrissakes. How hard can it be? Sorry... had to vent.

Paul S

Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
To answer the question you posed to Long Story... I STILL haven't gotten my wiring harness. Been waiting since January; this is ridiculous. It's a wiring harness, for chrissakes. How hard can it be? Sorry... had to vent.
FYI, I purchased my wiring harness from the dealership in Manchester, NH at the end of April. They ordered it and had it in hand (ordered the hitch as well) in less than a week. Installed it myself after my local mechanic told me he didn't want to do it as he thought you needed to remove the bumper. Bottom line...you DO NOT need to remove the bumper, just a few covers in the storage area. Took me less than two hours and went pretty smoothly.

Starflyer

Vancouver WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Installed it myself after my local mechanic told me he didn't want to do it as he thought you needed to remove the bumper. Bottom line...you DO NOT need to remove the bumper, just a few covers in the storage area.
When you removed the covers in the trunk, how did you run the wires down through the trunk floor to the hitch so that you can connect trailer wiring to it?

Paul S

Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
There is a hole for the wiring to fit thru. It has a easily removed plug you remove and the kit has the replacement. See these instructions attached, I wouldnt install the wiring without them.

Attachments

• Hitch wiring instructions.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 13

jaybar

I installed the Curt hitch cost 248.00 from Summit Automotive. I watched the video on Youtube. The only one on youtube for the GV80. A company in Miami. It was very helpfull. The hardest part for me was to get the rubber connctors off. I used a flat prybar. Not fun but they came off with a bit of cursing. I have put hitches on a SanteFe and Palisaids. Alone on my garage floor. They both went on easy and the wire harness was plug an play, by removing two receptacle covers and pluging in the hitch wiring.
The GV80 doesn't seem to have these outlets that will accept the harness. I called the company that posted the youtube video and they advised there was no plug and play for the GV80, and I would have to get a universal kit and tap into the tail lights and run a wire directly to the battery. I see the instructions posted here for the factory harness have a round connector. I plan to use the flat 4 pin type so I don't think the factory harness is for me. BTW the Miami company in with the youtube video will install a "universal" harness for 150.00. Now I'm only about 60 miles away so worth a trip for me. Also I went to UHall who installs hitches and wiring. They looked up the Gv80 and saw nothing listed so they would not deal with it at all.

Addition:
Its a long story but I traded my GV80 basic model for a GV80 with prestige package (to get back some of the features I lost when I traded in my Plaisaids), So within the next week I will be installing another Curt hitch.

Last edited:

Starflyer

Vancouver WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
There is a hole for the wiring to fit thru. It has a easily removed plug you remove and the kit has the replacement. See these instructions attached, I wouldnt install the wiring without them.
Thanks, that's quite a procedure. I'll have to think about it.

Alumine

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
The GV80 doesn't seem to have these outlets that will accept the harness. I called the company that posted the youtube video and they advised there was no plug and play for the GV80, and I would have to get a universal kit and tap into the tail lights and run a wire directly to the battery. I see the instructions posted here for the factory harness have a round connector. I plan to use the flat 4 pin type so I don't think the factory harness is for me. BTW the Miami company in with the youtube video will install a "universal" harness for 150.00. Now I'm only about 60 miles away so worth a trip for me. Also I went to UHall who installs hitches and wiring. They looked up the Gv80 and saw nothing listed so they would not deal with it at all.

Addition:
Its a long story but I traded my GV80 basic model for a GV80 with prestige package (to get back some of the features I lost when I traded in my Plaisaids), So within the next week I will be installing another Curt hitch.
jaybar,

Does your GV80 with prestige package have the connectors for the “plug and play” tow harness?

Alumine

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I’ve got an Advanced model and the window sticker says it has tow wiring. So I bought the tow harness months ago and took it to the dealer yesterday. The dealer says the tow wiring is not there. Waiting on Genesis Corporate to respond on why the wiring is missing. Dealer want $780 for labor to splice into the taillights.

Anybody else think Genesis Corporate pulled the stock on the tow harness because they discovered the tow wiring was missing on some models, even though listed on the window sticker?

Just found out that Curt has a solution now specifically for the GV80 with video of install. https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Genesis/GV80/2021/C59496.html?VehicleID=2021119790

Last edited:

jaybar

I’ve got an Advanced model and the window sticker says it has tow wiring. So I bought the tow harness months ago and took it to the dealer yesterday. The dealer says the tow wiring is not there. Waiting on Genesis Corporate to respond on why the wiring is missing. Dealer want $780 for labor to splice into the taillights.

Anybody else think Genesis Corporate pulled the stock on the tow harness because they discovered the tow wiring was missing on some models, even though listed on the window sticker?

Just found out that Curt has a solution now specifically for the GV80 with video of install. https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Genesis/GV80/2021/C59496.html?VehicleID=2021119790
Well, I watched the video. The kit they installed was a "universal kit" for all 12 volt cars. There are no terminals installed by the factory for plug and play.
I installed plug and play on a SanteFe and Pallisaids. It took 2 minutes at the most. It was plug and play.

Since it is a generic kit you can save a lot of money ( about $100) with this:

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners