• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Adventures of a performance car newbie - what is this phenomenon?

50jae

Registered Member
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Every once in a while I push the car around a corner with some throttle, and during mid-corner sometimes I feel some/all of the wheels sort of skip. Doesn't feel like continuous skidding but a bump-bump and done kind of deal. Also kind of feels like a really jerky/clunky downshift. Sounds like hitting a pothole but the road was smooth. Is this just wheel hop or something else? Mind you, I never driven cars with this much power in my life so this is all new to me! A video is worth a thousand words so here you go:

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
If it's happening during the corner, that's the brake based torque vectoring system being stupid!

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Mine seems to do it as well, many times from a stop and turning about 90 degrees.

I assume it's either A) the brake based torque vectoring, or B) the mechanical LSD in the rear being a bit grabby on the inside wheel. The LSD we have on our cars is pretty aggressive, at least compared to the more common helical/planetary type.

Or, it could be C) all of the above (it probably is).

And yes, I would describe that as wheel hop, or scrubbing.

50jae

Registered Member
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Mine seems to do it as well, many times from a stop and turning about 90 degrees.

I assume it's either A) the brake based torque vectoring, or B) the mechanical LSD in the rear being a bit grabby on the inside wheel. The LSD we have on our cars is pretty aggressive, at least compared to the more common helical/planetary type.

Or, it could be C) all of the above (it probably is).

And yes, I would describe that as wheel hop, or scrubbing.
That makes sense. I've experienced another phenomenon that does feel more like brake-based torque vectoring where after taking a sharp corner the inside wheel abruptly scoots further into the turning radius without me giving further input to the steering. This other experience feels different from phenomenon I showed in my video where the whole car feels like it's skipping, and the grabby LSD seems to me the more likely culprit within the video. Thanks all for the input!

I'll think of this as my car having more character :) As you can see in my video, I like to send my car pretty often whenever I can and it's so much fun compared to any car I've owned. Only wish is that it had a better exhaust sound, I got pretty spoiled after driving a mustang GT during a weekend road trip. That coyote V8 is so damn nice. But the G70 feels sharper and is a much better daily. Love this car!

Friday

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I mentioned this in a thread some time ago. I think the consensus was it’s the LSD.

To add to this, I would like to mention after having the Sottozero3s for the whole winter, not once did I experience the same issue.

Within days of putting the summer PS4s back on, experienced this when the road was slightly damp.

KusaKusa

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So then would you guys say that the LSD is more intrusive than it is actually helpful?

Piz

Registered Member
Connecticut
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
My car does this as well, but very rarely. Since I've been paying attention it seems to only happen when I lose traction, even for a fraction of a second, like on a turn with loose gravel or a sharp uphill turn where a rear tire may lose grip, and only at lower speeds as mentioned above.

Guess this makes sense based on the definition of LSD, but this is my first car with LSD so I'm not sure. Haven't felt it happen on smooth pavement yet, but the road looks fine in OP's video.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I don't think it is LSD guys cause it happens to me and I don't have the LSD.
Only when turning and iffy traction situations. It's the torque vectoring and the ABS.

Vmusso

Registered Member
Hartwell, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I drive on a curvy back road to work with some tight turns and a 55mph speed limit. I think it is the torque vectoring applying braking to inner wheel. My mazda 6 did the same thing and it also had a torque vectoring system. By applying brakes to inner back tire, I believe, it helps the car stay flatter in the curve.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums