Advice needed: contemplating purchase of 1st gen Genesis

kyk007

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Thread starter #1
Hello everyone on the Genesis forums: I'm a former 1998 Lexus LS400 owner and have been researching what my next ride should be. I've finally narrowed it down to the 1st gen Genesis, but before I make the final leap, I need some advice from some of you owners who know the car better than I do.

In my initial research on here so far, I've ascertained that the 3.8 will be enough for my needs. Furthermore, a few of you have cautioned against getting the 2012 model year, as it was the first year of the 8 speed automatic, and that it had a few problems, which brings me to my next question.

How has your experience been with the 09 - 11 Genesis with the Aisin manufactured 6 speed automatic? I know the 8 speed gets slightly better gas mileage, which I do not dispute, but I am mainly concerned with smoothness and drivability. Secondly, for those who own a 2013 8 speed automatic (or later), and have also driven an earlier 6 speed, what are your thoughts in that regard?

I'm contemplating a 2010 or 2011 3.8, but for those in the know, what are some reasons I should hold out for a 2013? 8 speed transmission, additional options and features, etc. Inquirings minds want to know . . .

Thank you in advance to all who reply - it is much appreciated.

dougmcp

Been here awhile...
Genesis Model Type
2013-2014 are the most trouble free and mature in the BH series. Given the possible maintenance costs I think stepping up to these years is the best bet.
I have the 3.8 Tech model, have only done oil changes and so far in 60,000 miles had zero problems with anything.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
The Aisin transmission on the 2009-2011 has been extremely reliable. Aisin was formed as a joint venture of Toyota and BorgWarner to build RWD transmissions for Lexus and other brands. That being said, a used car may have been abused, so there are never any guarantees. There were a lot of 3.8 "base trim" units used as rentals, which you should be able to tell from a Carfax (I assume).

The 17-speaker systems on the Technology package suffered from a lot of problems, and dealers can only replace the entire unit at a parts cost of $4K plus labor. The 14-speaker systems had fewer audio problems, and base trim level audio systems were very reliable.

The main downside to the 2009-2011 V6 (especially the 2009) is that suspension is a lot more "firm" than the 2012-2014. So I would test drive it on rough roads to make sure you are OK with it. Using tires with a good reputation for smoothness is a must on the 2009-2011.

Although the 2012 V6 added direct gasoline injection to boost HP and fuel economy (only slightly), it also creates some potential carbon build-up problems that are common to GDI engines.

Last edited:

kyk007

Genesis Model Type
Thread starter #4
Doug & Mark, thank you for taking the time to enlighten me on some differences between the model years within the 1st gen Genesis. Having owned the LS400, I can attest to the reliablity, smoothness, and robustness of the Aisin automatic transmission. My LS never skipped a beat and was easily the most reliable of all the vehicles I have owned.

Mark, given what you've said about the suspension being firm on the earlier models, I would probably lean toward getting a 2013 or 14.

All things being equal (which they never are), having the fuel injected engine + the plusher suspension of the later models would make a nice combination. I also was not aware of the problems suffered by the 17 speaker system in the Technology package, so thanks for the heads up on that Mark.

Keep the comments coming . . . I am enjoying learning about these cars.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
All things being equal (which they never are), having the fuel injected engine + the plusher suspension of the later models would make a nice combination.
The 2009-2011 engines are electronic fuel injected. The 2012+ engines are gasoline direct injected. You can google that to see what the difference is.

kyk007

Genesis Model Type
Thread starter #6
Mark, from what I've read so far, the jury is still out on the long term reliability of the GDI engines. Although I'm not terribly worried about the general reliability of them, the carbon deposits are something I am aware of. Having said that, a second option I have considered is the 4.6 engine from the 2009 - 2011 model year range. While the fuel economy takes a small hit, owners on here seem to like that engine quite a bit.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Mark, from what I've read so far, the jury is still out on the long term reliability of the GDI engines. Although I'm not terribly worried about the general reliability of them, the carbon deposits are something I am aware of. Having said that, a second option I have considered is the 4.6 engine from the 2009 - 2011 model year range. While the fuel economy takes a small hit, owners on here seem to like that engine quite a bit.
I would definitely avoid the 2009 4.6 V8, the very first year of that engine. It had a lot of problems for some people. Some 2010's had problems, and the only one I would personally even consider is the 2011, or the 2013+ 5.0.

As you mentioned, the main concern for the GDI engines is carbon build-up, and some injector noise (clatter), especially at start up. So if getting a GDI Genesis, a 2013+ model would be best (due to problems with the 2012 V8).

kyk007

Genesis Model Type
Thread starter #8
Mark, point well taken. You've helped me further narrow down what my choice might be for my next Genesis.

First choice: 2013 3.8
Second choice: 2010 or 2011 3.8
Third choice: 2011 4.6

Do you know of any aftermarket suspension that smooths out the ride of the earlier year models? While that is not my first option, I'm just curious what others have done in that regard.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Mark, point well taken. You've helped me further narrow down what my choice might be for my next Genesis.

First choice: 2013 3.8
Second choice: 2010 or 2011 3.8
Third choice: 2011 4.6

Do you know of any aftermarket suspension that smooths out the ride of the earlier year models? While that is not my first option, I'm just curious what others have done in that regard.
If you replace the rear stabilizer bar on 2009-2011 with the OEM one from a 2012 Hyundai Genesis, that will help a lot. I think you can get them online for about $125, and then have a suspension shop install it if you are not up to that. There was an old thread on this subject, but not sure if it has been "archived" and no longer available. That will go a long way to fixing the rear end hop on rough roads. With good tires, that will be good for most people, unless you live in an area with really bad roads. But do a test drive and decide for yourself.

With a new stabilizer bar in the rear, a 2009-2011 (V6 or V8) will then ride very similar to a 2012+ R-Spec, but firmer than the 2012+ non-R-Specs.

kyk007

Genesis Model Type
Thread starter #10
Mark, thanks for the feedback on the suspension tweaks. That would definitely be an affordable option I had not considered. I'll put that on my checklist of things to consider in my choice of which vehicle to buy.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Mark, thanks for the feedback on the suspension tweaks. That would definitely be an affordable option I had not considered. I'll put that on my checklist of things to consider in my choice of which vehicle to buy.
Just to clarify the difference in rear stabilizer bars, the 2009-2011 one is sold and narrow, and the 2012+ is hollow but larger diameter. Members have reported a big improvement in ride on rough roads with the newer rear stabilizer bar. Same part number for both V6 and V8.

kyk007

Genesis Model Type
Thread starter #12
Thanks for the clarification on the stabilizer bars Mark.

Genesis Model Type
I have a 2012 3.8L technology package twilight blue pearl with 61,000 miles and drive it daily (occasionally hard) so far no issues. When it comes to cars they mass produce so many that it is luck of the draw if you get the bad one or few out of the batch. I just put a magnaflow catback exhaust on it which makes it sound aggressive and I installed airlift 3P management with airforce suspension so I’m riding on air! I love the sedan it’s fast and luxurious and most people don’t even know what it is. Go with the 2012 and up since the headlights and taillights are a lot nicer and even the bumper and side skirts are more aggressive. Also go either 3.8L or 5.0 forget about the 4.6L since they made a 5.0 for a reason

kyk007

Genesis Model Type
Thread starter #14
Remy, thank you for your input and experience with your '12 model. I have looked at a few 2012 & 13 models, and as you point out, the styling is on point. Mark and others point out the reliability advantage on the earlier 09-11 models, in that they have fuel injection and not the GDI. It's a toss up in some ways, as the GDI models haven't been out long enough to really determine their long term reliability, i.e. case in point being the carbon build up.

If it were based purely on styling, I would go with a 2013 model in a heartbeat. I have to admit, however, that I am leaning slightly toward getting an earlier model.As much as I like the added visual effects you reference, which in my opinion does sharpen up the look of an already great looking car, the reliability of both the engine and gearbox on the earlier models weighs a bit more heavily in my decision of which year range to buy.

Keep the feedback coming guys - the more I learn, the more I am enjoying being part of this club.

PMCErnie

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Remy, thank you for your input and experience with your '12 model. I have looked at a few 2012 & 13 models, and as you point out, the styling is on point. Mark and others point out the reliability advantage on the earlier 09-11 models, in that they have fuel injection and not the GDI. It's a toss up in some ways, as the GDI models haven't been out long enough to really determine their long term reliability, i.e. case in point being the carbon build up.

If it were based purely on styling, I would go with a 2013 model in a heartbeat. I have to admit, however, that I am leaning slightly toward getting an earlier model.As much as I like the added visual effects you reference, which in my opinion does sharpen up the look of an already great looking car, the reliability of both the engine and gearbox on the earlier models weighs a bit more heavily in my decision of which year range to buy.

Keep the feedback coming guys - the more I learn, the more I am enjoying being part of this club.
If you can afford a '13 or '14, it would be a huge mistake to buy anything else. ALSO, get an extended warranty.

OUsig

Been here awhile...
I am pushing 98000 miles on my 2013 right now. engine is great, smoooooth as silk and so is the transmission. I have kept up with the oil changes and have replaced (5Q) worth of the transmission fluid at the dealership. And done other maintenance myself
I regularly (say every 7-9k miles) suck in Seafoam to the top of the engine and/or spray onto the throttle body to help with potential carbon. I also run 1/2 a can of Seafoam in my oil a couple hundred miles before each oil change.
works like a charm

100% go with a 2013 or 2014 model - regardless if you get the 3.8 or 5.0 engine. Trust me and move on
you can get the 13 or 14 for such a great price it is a no brainer to get the most up to date options and infotainment system.
Any main electronic "issues" would have been fixed by the original owner by now so you are good to go.
feel free to send me a private message if you would like more information on my experiences

kyk007

Genesis Model Type
Thread starter #18
OU - thanks for the feedback on your experience with your 2013. Ironically enough, my brother lives
about 15 minutes from you in Anna. I'd love to start a conversation with you, but for some reason I'm
not able to send you a private message. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have a few minutes.

ejrooney

Hasn't posted much yet...
I have a 2011 3.8 with the Technology Package. Bought it 4 years ago as a
CPO with 20K miles. I now have 88K virtually trouble free miles. The only repair to date was a lower control arm that came "unbolted" while backing out of the driveway. The OEM Dunlop tires were crap. When I bought the car, the dealer replaced them for me with Pirelli P-Zero Nero's, and they were OK for about 15K miles until the road noise became unbearable. We're now rolling on Continental Pure Contacts and after 30K miles they're still quiet and barely show any wear. I'm getting around 29 MPG on the highway with the CC set between 75-80. In town, the mileage is closer to 20 MPG - mind you all on regular gas. Maintenance averages around $40 every 5K miles. I also own a 2014 Mercedes E350 4Matic and I prefer the Genesis for the interior room and smoother ride. I wouldn't heistate to buy a 2011 3.8 if a nice, well-maintained unit comes on the market.

dhall57

Getting familiar with the group...
Welcome to the forum. Back in 2017 I decided we needed another car. The 2001 Grand Marquis we had for years had been a good car but was getting a little long in the tooth and was going to need some work. Just wanted my wife to have a newer and nicer car do drive. She would be driving it for work so she was all for getting a newer car but she really didn't like anything she saw until she ran across a picture of a 1st Gen Genesis. Long story short in April 2017 we got a 2013 3.8 CPO with tech pkg with 36K. It now has 61k trouble free miles. Great car and don't think you could go wrong with either a 2013 or 2014 with a 3.8. I don't see any need for a V8 but different strokes for different folks. Our Genny had been way over due for some new tires so a few days ago I bit the bullet and got some Bridgestones and looking forward to see how they do. Good luck with your search 007.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.