• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

3.3T AEM intake install + more

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Had enough time to finally install my AEM intake today. I'll go through some of the basic steps it takes to install, along with some custom modifications I did.

Upon receiving the kit, I decided to add some heat reflective tape to both the heat shields and the intake tubing. Starting with the intake pipes, I wiped them down really well with alcohol, then got to work, cutting sections of tape and applying them, one at a time. Soon, each pipe went from like this....

IMG_20190930_160053.jpg

....to this!

IMG_20190930_161712.jpg

After this, I did a similar treatment on the heatshields. Wiped down with alcohol, and applied the tape to the outside of the shield.

IMG_20191008_154958.jpg

Although I'm sure whatever difference the heat tape makes will be negligible, I've always followed the performance car rule of 'every little bit helps'. Plus, I think it looks cool and unique.

Prior to the install I also ordered some extra replacement diverter valve hose, as I've heard the stock pipe can link when installing this kit. For reference, this is what I got...

Amazon.com: HPS HTHH-100-BLK Silicone High Temperature Reinforced Heater Hose, 200 PSI Maximum Pressure,1' Length, 1" ID, Black: Industrial & Scientific

And this is how it looks...

IMG_20191008_165049.jpg

The install is straightforward and relatively simple; but, it took more time than I anticipated because of the adjustments needed to make everything fit properly. Since you're replacing the stock, flexible rubber intake pipes with rigid plastic tubes, you must make small adjustments here and there. Either way, onto the install.

Start by removing the strut tower braces...

IMG_20191008_194204.jpg

Next, remove both intake air boxes by first loosening the intake elbow clamps...

IMG_20191008_194313.jpg

...then remove the 3 bolts that attach the box to the frame.

IMG_20191008_194401.jpg
IMG_20191008_194521.jpg

And remove both airboxes.

IMG_20191008_194800.jpg

Next, you must unplug the vacuum hoses that are attached to each intake elbow. The passenger side only has the one diverter valve hose. The driver's side has a total of 3 vacuum hoses attached.

Continued....

Last edited:

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Diverter valve hose removal on the passenger side....

IMG_20191008_195139.jpg

Vacuum hoses unclamped on the driver's side...

IMG_20191008_195445.jpg
IMG_20191008_195517.jpg
IMG_20191008_195547.jpg

Now, loosen the clamp that attaches each intake elbow to their respective turbo...

IMG_20191008_195250.jpg
IMG_20191008_195401.jpg
IMG_20191008_195648.jpg
IMG_20191008_195815.jpg

Now you transfer over the vacuum tubes to the driver's side elbow, use the silicone coupling to attach it to the turbo.

IMG_20191008_201051.jpg

Attach your vacuum hoses. This nipple, I found, was a little too small in diameter. The kit includes a different clamp to put on to make it tighter, but I wanted to adjust things by simply adding some duct tape to make it thicker, then installed the clamp..

IMG_20191008_204154.jpg

Continued...

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Both intake elbows installed, have not attached diverter valve hoses yet...

IMG_20191008_202352.jpg

Now for the driver's side elbow has only one hose attachment; but, the factory diverter hose is too long and will kink. You can either trim the stock hose, or use a replacement hose to not ruin your stock hose (OEM hose costs around $50!). I chose the latter. Here are both hoses installed. OEM for the driver's side, aftermarket silicone for the passenger side. Not too bad!

IMG_20191008_203726.jpg

Now we are ready to install the heat shields. This got a little tricky, it takes some adjusting to get them in there, but it's not too bad - just be patient and take your time, don't force anything. Also, you may have to unbolt the driver's side OBD-II diagnostics plug to make room. Once the heat shields are in place, put in your velocity stacks, and attach them to the intake eblows with the supplied hardware and couplings. Once done, you'll end up with something like this...

IMG_20191008_211903.jpg

Finally, install your cone filters, and put the strut braces back on....

IMG_20191008_212321.jpg
IMG_20191008_212849.jpg

This engine bay is starting to look pretty good! Anyway, before calling it a night I had to listen to the induction sound. I was not disappointed.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Next, I'll see if I can install larger filters. It will be a tight fit if it all works out as planned! I should probably throw in my carbon fiber strut tower bars as well.

Anyway, stay tuned for an IAT comparison between stock and this intake. Hope everyone enjoyed the read!

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Looks great! Does the outside air still get directed into the air box? Are the air boxes effectively sealed once the hood is closed?

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Looks great! Does the outside air still get directed into the air box? Are the air boxes effectively sealed once the hood is closed?
They seal pretty well, you can feel the rubber edges press against the hood when you close it, but it's not a perfect, airtight seal. Some engine bay heat could certainly get in there, but it looks like it will pull most air from the factory snorkels, also around the headlight and the gaps around the hood.

We will see how it looks when we compare IATs.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Got to drive it today. DEFINITELY feel an improvement in power and throttle response.

Also, when you're just driving it normally, you don't hear any difference in induction noise. But, when you get more aggressive on the throttle, the intake starts sounding mean! Those diverter valves give a nice big blast when you redline it! And the woosh of the turbos pulling in air is so awesome. I love the sound!!

rkar

Registered Member
Got to drive it today. DEFINITELY feel an improvement in power and throttle response.

Also, when you're just driving it normally, you don't hear any difference in induction noise. But, when you get more aggressive on the throttle, the intake starts sounding mean! Those diverter valves give a nice big blast when you redline it! And the woosh of the turbos pulling in air is so awesome. I love the sound!!
Nice Todd! I'm leaning towards the BMS intakes for whatever reason, seem easier to install and look kinda nicer. I think they are cheaper as well. But great review, glad you feel an improvement in power and throttle response. I feel like these cars really need that compared to factory throttle response. Did you put your JB4 back in? How's it feel all together?

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Nice Todd! I'm leaning towards the BMS intakes for whatever reason, seem easier to install and look kinda nicer. I think they are cheaper as well. But great review, glad you feel an improvement in power and throttle response. I feel like these cars really need that compared to factory throttle response. Did you put your JB4 back in? How's it feel all together?
Yup, JB4 is back in. And I agree, the BMS intake looks like it will be pretty dang easy to install.

Altogether my car is feeling very nice. It pulls strong, and I have fantastic throttle response. I'm excited for my other upgrades (intercooler, exhaust, gonna install the midpipes again). And if all that isn't as strong as I want, then I'll try out WMI.

rkar

Registered Member
Yup, JB4 is back in. And I agree, the BMS intake looks like it will be pretty dang easy to install.

Altogether my car is feeling very nice. It pulls strong, and I have fantastic throttle response. I'm excited for my other upgrades (intercooler, exhaust, gonna install the midpipes again). And if all that isn't as strong as I want, then I'll try out WMI.
Awesome. Enjoy it.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Okay, had some time to test fit the new, larger filters after I came home from work. Guess what? They fit. Check it out!

I don't want to share this with the Stinger forum. I mean, I'm sure they'll find out sooner or later; but, as of right now they only know about the K&N custom filter upgrade. I found these filters from aFe that have even more filter surface area than the custom K&N upgraded filters, plus, arguably, it has better filter media w/out the need to be oiled.

The aFe part number is: 21-91054

Here are some places you can buy it, just try to find the lowest price (i think i got mine around $60 for each, i must've caught a sale price or something)
aFe: Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter
Autozone: AFE POWER Universal air filter
Amazon: Amazon.com: AfE Power 21-91054 Air Filter: Automotive
SummitRacing: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/afe-21-91054

Here is the comparison from the the AEM filters to the new aFe filters...

IMG_20190930_152038.jpg
IMG_20190930_152043.jpg
IMG_20190930_152157.jpg

Much more surface area for greater airflow, and more dirt catching capacity.

Install was very easy, though the driver's side required a small amount of persuasion (though less than I anticipated!). Here are some pics.

Passenger side installed (super easy), even had some room to spare...

IMG_20191010_021504.jpg/

IMG_20191010_021516.jpg

Driver's side installed (some minor persuasion req'd), you can see that the end is ever so gently touching the frame, but not bad at all!!!

IMG_20191010_022017.jpg
IMG_20191010_022040.jpg
IMG_20191010_022024.jpg

Oh, and while the strut tower bars were off......

IMG_20191010_022145.jpg

That's real carbon fiber. It's so pretty! o_O
And the final result.....
Give it a second....
Are you salivating? Because you should be....
BEHOLD!

IMG_20191010_022813.jpg

That G70 is so hot right now! Haha

Last edited:

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ looks awesome!!

But to be clear...you bought the kit which came with the filters...than you disregarded those and got the bigger filters. How much money did all this cost?

How do these bigger filters compare to the BMS kit which I believe uses K&N?

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
No clue about the BMS intake. No clue on how big the BMS filters are either.

And yup, paid a bit extra to satisfy my OCD. Also, makes my car unique, which is something I really like as well.

trdehmer

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Todd, how are the temps when datalogging now? Mine is off to the dealer tomorrow for my 2nd oil change (I'm at about 4400mi now). So, it will be stock for that :)

Once I get it back, I plan on installing the same heat shields - think I can use the OEM intake tubes with the AEM heat shields? That is my goal. I was going to use the DEI heat reflective tape as well, those AEM heat shields are gonna soak up a lot of heat and retain it I believe - I wish they were plastic.

What is the I.D. of the Afe filter opening where it attaches to the intake tube?

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Todd, how are the temps when datalogging now? Mine is off to the dealer tomorrow for my 2nd oil change (I'm at about 4400mi now). So, it will be stock for that :)

Once I get it back, I plan on installing the same heat shields - think I can use the OEM intake tubes with the AEM heat shields? That is my goal. I was going to use the DEI heat reflective tape as well, those AEM heat shields are gonna soak up a lot of heat and retain it I believe - I wish they were plastic.

What is the I.D. of the Afe filter opening where it attaches to the intake tube?
ID of the aFe filters are the same as the AEM filters, which are huge... I can't remember the diameter off the top of my head. I'm sorry! But yes, the AEM heat shields should fit with the OEM intake elbows. Also, I completely agree. I was hoping the AEM heat shields were plastic, but alas, they're steel.

Anyway, the AEM/aFe filters have a very large flange diameter due to the velocity stacks that are part of the AEM kit. That said, you should still be able to find a large cone filter that will fit the OEM intake elbows without too much difficulty.

If you'd like, I can take some measurements of the room within the AEM heatshields so you can get an estimate for the filter sizes you could use!

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums