• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

3.3T AEM intake install + more

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ looks awesome!!

But to be clear...you bought the kit which came with the filters...than you disregarded those and got the bigger filters. How much money did all this cost?

How do these bigger filters compare to the BMS kit which I believe uses K&N?
Thanks!

Filters were I think about $60 a piece. I got the intake from vividracing and used a coupon code, but I can't remember how much it ended up being.. a little less than the $380 advertised price. I bought the aFe filters for more power! The AEM filters, while adequate, don't seem to have much more surface area than the stock panels. More surface area = more flow. Every little bit helps!

I was originally planning on getting the Agency Power intakes which are over $500, so I'm still paying less than what that kit would've cost, all while having equivalent air filters and heat shielding, along with (possibly) better fitment. I'm okay with that.

trdehmer

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
ID of the aFe filters are the same as the AEM filters, which are huge... I can't remember the diameter off the top of my head. I'm sorry! But yes, the AEM heat shields should fit with the OEM intake elbows. Also, I completely agree. I was hoping the AEM heat shields were plastic, but alas, they're steel.

Anyway, the AEM/aFe filters have a very large flange diameter due to the velocity stacks that are part of the AEM kit. That said, you should still be able to find a large cone filter that will fit the OEM intake elbows without too much difficulty.

If you'd like, I can take some measurements of the room within the AEM heatshields so you can get an estimate for the filter sizes you could use!
Yeah, it would be nice to have some measurements of the room within the AEM heatshields if you have a chance to measure...

trdehmer

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I really like the Agency Intakes too. Still probably my favorite design out there. But really want something that utilizes OEM intake tubes for ease of changing back to stock quick. I went from JB4 installed to OEM intakes all back to stock in less than an hour last night.

Thanks!

Filters were I think about $60 a piece. I got the intake from vividracing and used a coupon code, but I can't remember how much it ended up being.. a little less than the $380 advertised price. I bought the aFe filters for more power! The AEM filters, while adequate, don't seem to have much more surface area than the stock panels. More surface area = more flow. Every little bit helps!

I was originally planning on getting the Agency Power intakes which are over $500, so I'm still paying less than what that kit would've cost, all while having equivalent air filters and heat shielding, along with (possibly) better fitment. I'm okay with that.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Update: Just finished logging some runs to check IAT's on stock vs AEM - looks like the numbers are almost identical between the two. That said, AEM intakes do not bring in any hotter air than the OEM intake setup does when doing 6 essentially back to back WOT runs up to about 80-85mph (top of 3rd gear). Things may be different during city driving while sitting in traffic for long periods of time....

trdehmer

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'd agree with Todd's findings. I watched IAT's this morning after doing my set-up last night which is the AEM shielding with the Spectre filters and OEM intake Tubes. I feel like the temps stay similar to OEM, and once the engine bay is heat soaked it seems the temps come down quicker when in motion during stop/go traffic.

The drivers side turned out good as the OEM intake tube holds the filter in place good. The passengers side I need to figure out how to hold the filter up against the AEM shielding as right I'm using zip ties and a Velcro strap to reduce it from bouncing around until I figure out a long term solution. Getting the passengers side filter to be a tight fit against the AEM shielding is what I need to figure out somehow...

I had to make the opening about 5.5" diameter to allow the Spectre filter to fit.

Attachments

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Thanks for the pics. I like the looks of this setup since stock intact tubes are used. Would be interesting if someone had access to a flow bench to check flow of stock filter box, stock box with an after market hi-flow filter, then with the box removed and one of the round air filters to see what measurable differences are since these kits are a little pricey. When I rode Harley’s, just about everyone had hi-flow filters and they could easily add 3 to 7hp and even more with a pipe change so I believe in the process.

DonMufti

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Diverter valve hose removal on the passenger side....

View attachment 23974

Vacuum hoses unclamped on the driver's side...

View attachment 23975
View attachment 23976
View attachment 23977

Now, loosen the clamp that attaches each intake elbow to their respective turbo...

View attachment 23978
View attachment 23979
View attachment 23980
View attachment 23981

Now you transfer over the vacuum tubes to the driver's side elbow, use the silicone coupling to attach it to the turbo.

View attachment 23982

Attach your vacuum hoses. This nipple, I found, was a little too small in diameter. The kit includes a different clamp to put on to make it tighter, but I wanted to adjust things by simply adding some duct tape to make it thicker, then installed the clamp..

View attachment 23983

Continued...
Hey there,
Really grateful that you took the time to post this bit of information on here. Got me motivated to get one myself. However, ive been having a hard time finding an intake for the 2019 g70. Are you ordering the part for the kia stinger??

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hey there,
Really grateful that you took the time to post this bit of information on here. Got me motivated to get one myself. However, ive been having a hard time finding an intake for the 2019 g70. Are you ordering the part for the kia stinger??
Yes. I ordered the Kia Stinger specific AEM intake. Both G70 and Stinger intakes are identical.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums