• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Aftermarket downpipes!

Miked218

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
There’s lots of comparison threads on the stinger forum but as for the price difference...no clue how they justify it. Lap3 is a big brand name in Korea and the G70 launched there so maybe the market supports it
Thank you. That helps. I appreciate you taking the time.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I just ordered a set of primary downpipes (w/HFC's) from Lap3 and should be receiving them shortly. I also ordered midpipes and will install my own 200 cell HFC's on those. I'll post a separate thread after my install including my reasoning behind my plan.

LAP3 is correct in that the biggest restriction in the exhaust system are in the primary downpipes. The OEM midpipes aren't too bad, they do have a little restriction; but I would argue that the next big restriction is in the back end of the exhaust just before the mufflers - the pipes are sort of crimped in this area, in addition to the stock mufflers not being a straight-through design.

Other than this, the OEM intake is rather restrictive. That said, from what I've seen, if you had to pick the top 2 biggest bottlenecks on this car I would say it's the intake and the primary downpipes.

Miked218

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I just ordered a set of primary downpipes (w/HFC's) from Lap3 and should be receiving them shortly. I also ordered midpipes and will install my own 200 cell HFC's on those. I'll post a separate thread after my install including my reasoning behind my plan.

LAP3 is correct in that the biggest restriction in the exhaust system are in the primary downpipes. The OEM midpipes aren't too bad, they do have a little restriction; but I would argue that the next big restriction is in the back end of the exhaust just before the mufflers - the pipes are sort of crimped in this area, in addition to the stock mufflers not being a straight-through design.

Other than this, the OEM intake is rather restrictive. That said, from what I've seen, if you had to pick the top 2 biggest bottlenecks on this car I would say it's the intake and the primary downpipes.
Thank you. Very interesting. I look forward to following your project and learning more from you.

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Make sure you watch your oil level, even HFCs have been known to blow some out from what I’ve read. That being said, I think lap3 is the right choice if you’re going HFCs because I believe they have extra stuff going on to account for them

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Make sure you watch your oil level, even HFCs have been known to blow some out from what I’ve read. That being said, I think lap3 is the right choice if you’re going HFCs because I believe they have extra stuff going on to account for them
Agreed. Many have spoken about the stock turbos blowing oil when primary and secondary pipes are installed. I think everything will be okay, but still is something I'll keep an eye on.

Sid3ways

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I wish they had a video with the sound it makes on the stock exhaust. I don't expect it to get a ton louder but it has to increase db and I wonder by how much.

Miked218

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'll try to remember to record before and after sounds of the exhaust.
That would be great. Pretty much my entire purchase is on hold pending the outcome of your project. I really hope it turns out the way you want and the way I expect it to in my mind. Too excited about it and trying to keep my emotions and patience in check :)

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Midpipes and HFC's arrived. Have an appointment with an exhaust shop on Wednesday of next week to weld in the HFC's for me (because I am HORRIBLE at welding). Hopefully it all fits (both the pipes and the HFC's).

Have not received the primary downpipes yet. Hopefully those will come in next week, too.

Will post updates on the progress either in this thread or a whole new one.

BTW: SXTHElement tuning is coming out with primary downpipes for the Stinger and G70. They have a cat-less version, and are currently considering a catted version as well; but it sounds like they will be 400 cell cats, similar to that of the Ultimate Performance downpipes (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

Link: 3.3T Primary Downpipe for Stinger and G80

Last edited:

raf1919

Registered Member
Chicago Burbs
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The HFC will make the G70 sound like a beast! I'd love to upgrade as well but concerned about warranty.

Sticking to exhaust modifications :)

Please upload videos ASAP! :D
I'm in same boat.. nervous to mod anything and have warranty issues.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Just put in the new midpipes. Took about an hour and 45 minutes, primarily because I currently don't have a garage and had to use these stupid ramps to get under my car, so not much clearance to work with.

The ARK Performance midpipes for the Stinger fit perfectly on the G70. Here is a comparison... (AWD)

IMG_20190820_195652.jpg

Have an appointment to get the HFC's welded in tomorrow morning. It's gonna be a tight fit, but I'm hoping they fit in the OEM position, because any other spot would either hit/rub the underside of the body, or prevent access to the primary downpipe flange bolts.

One problem: I forgot to record 'before' exhaust sounds... :doh:

BlackedOutG70

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Just put in the new midpipes. Took about an hour and 45 minutes, primarily because I currently don't have a garage and had to use these stupid ramps to get under my car, so not much clearance to work with.

The ARK Performance midpipes for the Stinger fit perfectly on the G70. Here is a comparison... (AWD)

Have an appointment to get the HFC's welded in tomorrow morning. It's gonna be a tight fit, but I'm hoping they fit in the OEM position, because any other spot would either hit/rub the underside of the body, or prevent access to the primary downpipe flange bolts.

One problem: I forgot to record 'before' exhaust sounds...
I can’t wait to hear it when you get those HFC’s on! Also any idea if the lap 3 downpipes with the HFC’s void warranty??

Miked218

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

View attachment 22457

One problem: I forgot to record 'before' exhaust sounds... :doh:
Why just the ARK mid pipes and not the Grip Exhaust system?

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Why just the ARK mid pipes and not the Grip Exhaust system?
As of right now I haven't found a cat-back exhaust that I like...yet. So, for the time being, I'm upgrading the primary downpipes and the midpipes. Later on I'll figure out a cat-back exhaust - hoping more companies come out with them for our cars.

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums