Aftermarket Proximity Smart Door Lock Module - Anyone install?

skroonigan

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Not having proximity smart door unlock/lock has been kinda driving me nuts with putting the kids in the backseat (pushing the button on the door handle the correct # of times to unlock all the doors vs just the one door). Has anybody installed one of these modules to enable a proximity smart door lock/unlock: Proximity Smart Door Lock Module - Various Applications

Thanks!

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I had no idea such a thing existed. If you end up getting it, let us know how it goes! It would be pretty dang nice to have that.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Not having proximity smart door unlock/lock has been kinda driving me nuts with putting the kids in the backseat (pushing the button on the door handle the correct # of times to unlock all the doors vs just the one door). Has anybody installed one of these modules to enable a proximity smart door lock/unlock: Proximity Smart Door Lock Module - Various Applications

Thanks!
Keep security in mind using that or even setting for a single touch. Most of the time it is just fine. If you leave places at night you may only want to unlock the driver door, get in and lock it again. With all doors unlocked someone can jump in.

16UltV6Guy

Bill the Cat for President
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Jax, FL
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)

Thanks!
"The correct number of times"?! What's so hard about pressing the button twice? It's not like you have to enter a cheat code sequence or something.

joschneider

G70 Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
"The correct number of times"?! What's so hard about pressing the button twice? It's not like you have to enter a cheat code sequence or something.
to be fair, there is no second beep to indicate the all doors unlocked. Its happened to me many a time as I get into the car and my wife is still standing outside because I thought the second press worked. I refuse to set all doors to unlock, but the G70 really should have a second beep for when you hit the button twice

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I think the setting is called 2-press unlock, when check it takes 2 presses of the fob or door button, unchecked 1 press unlocks everything.

skroonigan

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Well, if the driver door is unlocked but the rest of the doors locked you have to actually hit three times, once to lock all the doors and then two more times to unlock all the doors. Tried turning off the 2-press unlock, let's see if that makes thing easier/less annoying. It was a lot easier in my charger, I just touched one of the front door handles and all doors unlocked.

skroonigan

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I believe that setting is in the screen between your speedometer and RPM tach. Gotta be parked to access it.

Also curious about the device. Not necessary for me, but would be a nice touch

Thanks! I found the setting in the cluster settings... I could have swore I didn't see it in the settings in the center screen, makes sense now.

skroonigan

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I know you just swapped your setting but, IIRC, you push the button on the passenger's side (regardless of setting) the whole car unlocks. Best of both worlds, possible.

Ah, maybe that's what was confusing me.

16UltV6Guy

Bill the Cat for President
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Jax, FL
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Well, if the driver door is unlocked but the rest of the doors locked you have to actually hit three times, once to lock all the doors and then two more times to unlock all the doors. Tried turning off the 2-press unlock, let's see if that makes thing easier/less annoying. It was a lot easier in my charger, I just touched one of the front door handles and all doors unlocked.
Gotcha. Hopefully the 1-press unlock makes it easier for you.

I wish it had the arrangement like your Charger did. The wifey's Lexus has that, and that's the best, other than the few cars that unlock automatically just by walking up to them.

Bhavie

Registered Member
Ontario
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Reviving an old thread.

Has anyone gotten this yet? Appears to be quite a useful device but wondering how well it performs and if the install is as simple as it looks.

EDIT: For anyone interested, here's the install schematic:

Attachments

• Proximity - G70.jpg
    Proximity - G70.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 66

Bhavie

Registered Member
Ontario
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It feels like I'm beating a dead horse at this point, but I'll provide an update nonetheless.

So I bought the module. Ordered it on July 20 and it took them forever to actually ship the damn thing (August 4), but once it did it surprisingly arrived very quickly (August 7). I think they provided express shipping to compensate for the long delay in getting the item out, which was nice.

The item itself is pretty small, about 2in x 2in pcb board. It had lengthy wires which was a relief. The install itself is pretty easy, I know the description says you need to splice 4 wires but you can get away with just jamming them in. They fit tightly and get locked into place once you put the connectors back into their slot.

There are two sets of wires you need to access. To get to one set of wires, you need to remove two panels to access the door lock wire assembly. To get to the second set of wires, you only need to remove the fuse box panel and unclip the obd slot from its holder. That way you can easily access the back of the obd tap in to the appropriate wires. I know the instructions say you need to remove the entire crash pad to access the obd but you don't.

The one difficult part was removing the hood latch handle, which is needed to remove the second panel to get to the first set of wires. It's held on by a very weak plastic screw. So weak that I actually broke it. The thing just wouldn't turn no matter how much force was used, and eventually after stripping the head quite a bit, it just broke into pieces and fell out. This kind of worked in my favour because I could remove the handle after it broke. The handle tucks into its slot pretty well and gets held into place by a patch of wires, so even without the screw it's actually pretty secure.

All in all the install was pretty easy. It took about an hour but could easily be done in 30 minutes.

The item itself works exactly as expected. Approach the car and it unlocks (at the same distance as the welcome light). Walk away from the car and it locks after ~5 seconds. You can even disable the feature by hitting lock on the keyfob 4 times quickly, which is great if you're washing the car or taking it in for service. This way you can also tuck the module away and never have to worry about it.

It's a small little robust item that seems to be built quite well and I have no worries about it lasting a long time. Other than the broken screw the install was very easy coming from someone who's never removed panelling on their car before. Overall impressed with my purchase.

Shout out to @Toddasaurus for his guidance on how to remove the panelling for a first timer.

FastEddie

“Did you check the safety manual?” -Yogi Bear
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Gilbert, AZ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
That settles it. I’m getting one. With the heat here it would be nice to just walk up and open the door and get in after pre staring remotely. Plus I really like to be able to walk away and have it lock.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums