• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Air conditioner stops blowing cold air above 85 degrees

frank4.6

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
My 2010 Genesis sedan 4.6 stops blowing cold air when it gets past 85 degrees for some reason once the car gets to operating temperature it doesn't blow cold air anymore any help would be greatly appreciated

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I would replace the cabin air filter behind the glove compartment. Sometimes if the airflow is not sufficient, the A/C coils freeze and it doesn't blow cold air.

There are YouTube videos on now to replace the cabin air filter on the 2009-2014 models.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

frank4.6

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I would replace the cabin air filter behind the glove compartment. Sometimes if the airflow is not sufficient, the A/C coils freeze and it doesn't blow cold air.

There are YouTube videos on now to replace the cabin air filter on the 2009-2014 models.
Thank you I will try that today

frank4.6

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Thank you I will try that today
Okay today it hit 92 degrees and the air conditioner stopped working at about 88 89 degrees before that it worked but after 88° it starts at just blow air. I was driving on the expressway for about 30 minutes every 10 minutes to 15 minutes the air conditioner will blow cold air for about 10 to 30 seconds.

Brian L

Hasn't posted much yet...

I had same problem on my 2015 Sedan 3.8. over the last two days. 45,000 miles. Temps were 92 degrees. after 45 mins at highway speed fan quit blowing at high speed and A/C Temp went up. Just changed the Cabin Filter. Last ime was 15,000 miles.

OlderGuy1stGenesis

Registered Member
Lexington South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
Okay today it hit 92 degrees and the air conditioner stopped working at about 88 89 degrees before that it worked but after 88° it starts at just blow air. I was driving on the expressway for about 30 minutes every 10 minutes to 15 minutes the air conditioner will blow cold air for about 10 to 30 seconds.
=============================================
Background: auto shop in high school, two years auto mechanic, 20 years plus commercial air conditioning at a University Medical School,

Actual problems can be multiple including switches and temperature sensors. Clue: watch for AC compressor coming on properly and cycling on and off with one fan or two fans running. Find out how electric fans are designed to work on YOUR car.

Here is just one possibility: more likely if AC has been recharged with hoses not purged of air or having been opened up and worked on: Some systems have been opened up for repair too long and not vacuumed adequately, or long enough, and NOT had the suction drier replaced.

If you still have traces of moisture left over due to leaks in hoses and connections, that moisture remains in the system where one, it will one facilitate corrosion, and two, freeze at the point where refrigerant meters into the evaporator, either a fixed orifice tube, or a thermostatic expansion valve, or whatever else they use for metering that refrigerant.

WHY ? answer: refrigerant does not freeze, but water WILL. So since you have the pressure drop where it is metered in, and temperature drops, the tiny amount of water freezes blocking the flow of refrigerant into the evaporator. The refrigerant charge actually remains in the condenser, condensed. As temperature rises ABOVE 32 degrees F, or C Celsius, that speck of water melts, refrigerant flows again until another spec of moisture hits the same spot and does the same thing.

In this case, find any leaks, repair, you can reuse a suction drier that has just been replaced, but put a heat lamp on the suction drier temporarily to help release moisture while your vacuum pump (in excellent condition, of course) pumps the air and moisture out and brings you down to under 400 microns. After your leaks are repaired, recharge by weighing in an exact charge to the ounce.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums