Air Conditioning SUDDENLY Stopped Blowing Cold

JimmyLee

Hasn't posted much yet...
The other day I started my car and the air conditioning stopped blowing cold. There was no gradual loss of cold as that which might occur over several weeks. It was sudden. The blower works fine. Any thoughts?

Ron5.0

Registered Member
Miami, FL
Checked if your AC compressor clutch is kicking in when you turn on the AC?

Could be stuck, give it a couple taps, check your freon

darthspader

Been here awhile...
Petersburg, VA
It sounds like your blend door actuator may have gone out. You can check your high and low compressor tubes one should be cold the other one hot. Not sure which is which may want to youtube that. If compressor and refrigerant are good then its the blend door actuator.

Gunkk

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Florida
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Check the compressor fuse

JimmyLee

Thanks for the responses everyone. Gave up and took it to Hyundai dealer. The dealer ran a diagnosis and states that it's the A/C compressor, and wants to charge $1,000 to repair it. (Ouch, I'm off warranty). I'm hoping that the dealer is accurate with diagnosis and the repair price is fair?

Gunkk

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Florida
Genesis Model Type
There are a few links in the forums to on-line parts run by dealers like this one, which you can enter in your VIN or other vehicle particulars:

http://www.hyundaioemparts.com/auto...h-and-compressor/?trim=4-6&engine=4-6l-v8-gas

This one says $600+ (list ~$800) for just the compressor. So trusting those $$$ are correct, and depending on standard hrs and dealer shop labor rates I would guess that $700-$1100 is your ballpark.

PMCErnie

Ancient ‘steemed Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Thanks for the responses everyone. Gave up and took it to Hyundai dealer. The dealer ran a diagnosis and states that it's the A/C compressor, and wants to charge $1,000 to repair it. (Ouch, I'm off warranty). I'm hoping that the dealer is accurate with diagnosis and the repair price is fair?

Get a quote from a local auto A/C repair shop(s). Should save you a few bucks. The risk of having to replace an expensive A/C compressor is just another reason to buy an extended warranty IF you plan to keep a car longer than the factory warranty period.

Crusty Old Shellback

Registered Member
SoCal
Had the same issue with mine. There is a TSB out about it. It's not a compressor issue but the clutch assembly. Hyundai has a upgraded clutch assembly for it. Have the dealer check the TSB's. There is a thread on here somewhere about my issue, I'll see if I can dig it up.

Found it.

http://genesisowners.com/hyundai-genesis-forum/showthread.php?t=12041

JimmyLee

Just got more details from the mechanic. Apparently the compressor was leaking freon and they could see it. It's illegal (at least in California) to refill freon when there is a leak. Thanks for today's responses everyone.

mikec

Registered Member
SoCal
Have them point out the leak location. Is it at a fitting, a joint of some type, or is the compressor case physically cracked? Leaks at joints, pipes, etc. are fairly easy to repair - often just damaged o-rings. A cracked compressor case is rare and probably means total replacement.

Since you are in Long Beach, you're not too far from a shop that I recommend:
AC Exchange Auto Air Conditioning
Address: 10542 Stanford Ave, Garden Grove, CA 92840
Phone:(714) 636-1900

It's in a rather industrial area, surrounded by many car shops, machinists, etc. Pretty grimy neighborhood but they're good... and not at all expensive. They rebuild compressors too - a lot less money than a new one. I've sent a few co-workers (including the boss!) there over the years with good results.

mike c.

PRINCE KEN

Registered Member
H TOWN TEXAS
Genesis Model Type
My compressor had failed me too on my 13 R Spec Sedan and on my previous 12 R Spec Sedan I bought both used from Ebay Recyclers and they both worked perfectly to this day its been 3 years now It was a hell of a job to install properly myself though but I finally did

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums