• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Alfa Giulia owner considering G70

Clarence Oveur

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hey G70 people. I am approaching 50K miles on my 2018 Giulia and have been shopping and cross shopping a few cars. I test drove a 3.3t Sport the other weekend and was really impressed with the V6 power, road feel and standard safety features. Since I drive a lot, the safety features are a must have for me, adaptive cruise especially. Most of my driving is interstate from 70 to 80 mph in central Florida.
How is this car to live with on a daily basis for long freeway commutes with the adaptive cruise? The Alfa does it pretty well with reasonable following distances. I had an older BMW previously that left overly generous following distances even at the smallest gap and it just pissed other drivers off since I was not following "close enough" to the car ahead. It invited other more aggressive drivers to cut into the gap, which caused assertive braking to maintain distance and more pissed off commuters behind me.

Samy

Registered Member
The G70 is not equipped with adaptive cruise control. It only has line keep assist, blind spot monitoring, and normal cruise control. Now you will gain in reliability but you will lose in driving character.

Hau Kane

Hawaii
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Some trims do come with Smart Cruise Control (aka Adaptive Cruise Control). I haven’t tried mine yet, so I can’t speak to how well it works, but it is definitely equipped with it.

cmcdavis

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The G70 is not equipped with adaptive cruise control. It only has line keep assist, blind spot monitoring, and normal cruise control. Now you will gain in reliability but you will lose in driving character.
Idk what package you have on your G70 but they most certainly do have lane keep assist that has three adjustable settings. The gap on the lowest setting is acceptable to me.

Last edited:

RTK

Registered Member
SoCal
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The US spec G70 has adaptive cruise control. You are able to set how near and far you want to be.

The G70 has the same system demonstrated in the G80 in this video:

Samy

Registered Member
I had no idea it had adaptive cruise control. I have the G70 manual transmission and I believe it does not have adaptive cruise control. Thank you for the correction.

Clarence Oveur

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I got a little feel for the smart cruise but traffic on the test drive was stop and go. I wanted to try the lane keep assist but didn't get much of a chance. Some system ping pong you back and forth and the volvo system I tried recently tried to exit the freeway when the line on the right side of the car veered off into the off ramp. That was a little distracting.

Clarence Oveur

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yes. I think the manual transmission option strips some of the standard options off but includes others. Probably had a hard time engineering a solution for the adaptive with a manual transmission.

Clarence Oveur

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks for the video RTK. I am a big believer in the new safety features to the point where I don't want to buy another car without them. The adaptive really forces you to keep a reasonable following distance and in some cases starts decelerating sooner than you notice you should be. Not a substitute for an alert driver but more of a safety aid.

RTK

Registered Member
SoCal
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I had no idea it had adaptive cruise control. I have the G70 manual transmission and I believe it does not have adaptive cruise control. Thank you for the correction.
Sorry Samy, my bad. With the manual transmission, you do not get the “Smart (adaptive) cruise control.” But you do have a rare car as about 6% of production is manual transmissions from what I’ve been told. Apologies.

7D24CDC1-6E85-454E-873D-05F2229FE66F.jpeg

50jae

Registered Member
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Which trim do you own and how was the reliability of the Alfa? I see quite a few around my area and I think they look pretty nice but their reliability scares me.

All automatic G70s come with adaptive cc standard. I rarely use it but I think it works well and would probably be as good as the one in the alfa, but you should definitely test drive one to confirm.

broervudu

Registered Member
SF Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks for the video RTK. I am a big believer in the new safety features to the point where I don't want to buy another car without them. The adaptive really forces you to keep a reasonable following distance and in some cases starts decelerating sooner than you notice you should be. Not a substitute for an alert driver but more of a safety aid.
Hi Clarence I posted some other info in one of you other threads regarding mileage.

I also thoroughly tested the lane keep assist on a trip from SF Bay to the LA area. The LKA works well enough when the road is well outlined (for example the fast lane), but as soon as there's any break in the lines it will turn off (so if you are in the slow lane where you have entry and exit it will lose tracking and shut off).

Sometimes it will warn you to keep your hands on the wheel but I distinctly remember just trying to see how long I could go without touching the steering wheel. I believe I went a full 10 minutes chugging away on CC at 77mph while LKA kept me the road. Don't be fooled this is no Tesla but it does an alright job.

The Adaptive CC works well, you can adjust your follow distance by car lengths, I also tried it in LA stop and go traffic and found the lowest setting of 1 car length worked adequately well.

Clarence Oveur

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks broervudu for the feedback. I think the LKA turns off at 45 mph or something similar and I was straddling that speed on the test drive. I couldn't tell what was the LKA and what was the car tracking straight well. On the volvo, I felt like I was constantly fighting it. I guess I don't typically drive exactly centered in my lane and volvo wants to be centered which resulted in some oscillation.

broervudu

Registered Member
SF Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks broervudu for the feedback. I think the LKA turns off at 45 mph or something similar and I was straddling that speed on the test drive. I couldn't tell what was the LKA and what was the car tracking straight well. On the volvo, I felt like I was constantly fighting it. I guess I don't typically drive exactly centered in my lane and volvo wants to be centered which resulted in some oscillation.
I believe their a couple of aggressive levels you can set for LKA if I recall. I believe I picked the most aggressive and then never bothered with it again (can't recall of the top of my head).

If you hit some rough/slanted pavement that is going to overcome LKA as well.

Clarence Oveur

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hey 50jae. I have the TI sport in white. It has the dark wheels. I see some of the same styling ques on the G70 sport and I like it. The reliability has been unexpectedly very good. There have been quite a few "software updates" and a few recalls but other than routine maintenance, I have only had one other issue with an adaptive damper that needed to be be replaced under warranty. The car is really engaging to drive. Steering feel is amazing. Feels quick, light and fun. Long term reliability is a concern however. Genesis is appealing in that regard.

Attachments

Samy

Registered Member
Hey 50jae. I have the TI sport in white. It has the dark wheels. I see some of the same styling ques on the G70 sport and I like it. The reliability has been unexpectedly very good. There have been quite a few "software updates" and a few recalls but other than routine maintenance, I have only had one other issue with an adaptive damper that needed to be be replaced under warranty. The car is really engaging to drive. Steering feel is amazing. Feels quick, light and fun. Long term reliability is a concern however. Genesis is appealing in that regard.
Yes you can't beat Italian cars when it comes to fun. The car is also beautiful. I was going to buy one but the interior felt really cheap. The G70 interior is one of the best. I drove in my friend's AMG and it's very comparable or better.

Clarence Oveur

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
yes, you can tell where they saved cost to spend elsewhere. The infotainment screen on the Giulia is kind of a joke: dim and reflective, but it has a carbon fiber driveshaft!

G70girl

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hey G70 people. I am approaching 50K miles on my 2018 Giulia and have been shopping and cross shopping a few cars. I test drove a 3.3t Sport the other weekend and was really impressed with the V6 power, road feel and standard safety features. Since I drive a lot, the safety features are a must have for me, adaptive cruise especially. Most of my driving is interstate from 70 to 80 mph in central Florida.
How is this car to live with on a daily basis for long freeway commutes with the adaptive cruise? The Alfa does it pretty well with reasonable following distances. I had an older BMW previously that left overly generous following distances even at the smallest gap and it just pissed other drivers off since I was not following "close enough" to the car ahead. It invited other more aggressive drivers to cut into the gap, which caused assertive braking to maintain distance and more pissed off commuters behind me.
Clarence I came from two Alfa Giulias-the base and then the sport TI which I loved! I traded my TI in for the G70 3.3 and although I really loved the Alfa, I love the G70 even more!! It feels a little more luxurious to me and of course you can’t beat the power!!! The smoothness of the ride I feel was a little better in the Giulia and I also felt like it hugged the road better while going through mountain curves and driving at higher speeds but overall you get way more bang for the buck in the G70. And the biggest pet peeve for me in the Giulia was that joke of a visor!!!! It did not help at all when the sun was in your eyes but obviously that is not a problem in the G70. The adaptive cruise control is great for the long commutes but lane assist kind of sucks so I turned mine off. It veers to much when on the freeway and follows old lines on the road. Of course with the bigger engine you get a lot less mpg compared to the giulia and I fill my tank on a weekly basis, sometimes less. I think you will LOVE the G70 if you make the move!!!!!!!

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
FWIW, I've used adaptive cruise control on my G70 a lot and I love it. You can set how close you want to follow the car ahead, and it will slow down and even stop when following a car ahead of you. You can follow pretty close, I think, but of course it's all relative (ie, "close" to me may not be very close to others).

Lane Keep Assist also has different modes (3) that adjust the sensitivity. I have mine on the most sensitive, and it does a decent job at following the lanes - but like said above, it's no Tesla. You can quickly disable/enable it by pressing a button in the small cluster on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. I usually turn it on when doing boring drives on the freeway.

I test drove the Giulia Ti and I loved that car. Even so, the G70 has more power, and a better AWD system (incl rear LSD) than the Giulia, along with being able to fully defeat traction and stability control. It may be heavier, but you get a lot of bang for your buck.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums