• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

All of a sudden, my Genesis won’t start, either Key Fob

Serpico2

Hasn't posted much yet...
Just the past two days, my 2015 5.0 won’t start, at least not reliably at all. Had both kids (under 2!) at the mall and scared to death when it wouldn’t start. Not a power issue, all electrical systems turn on, engine doesn’t even try to turn over. I must have pushed the start button 25 times. I tried putting it in drive and back to Park; tried opening and closing the door. Eventually it just worked. Then this morning, I tried and again it wouldn’t turn on. Again, after trying the second key fob, nothing. And again, it simply worked on the 15th or so try. I looked in the manual and it said sometimes phones can affect the signal but I didn’t even have my phone on me this morning.

I don’t want to just hope it will continue to work (eventually), but as I said I have two young kids, long commute, it’s hard to find time to get it in for service and I’m owner #2 so no consierge service. Has anyone else had this issue?

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Others have reported similar problems on the 2015. Seems to be a bad electrical connection in the system somewhere.

Some of the most common places the problem occurs is loose connections on the battery, or the nuts holding down the buss inside the fuse panel.

You can look at the battery connections yourself and tighten them, but I would take it the dealer to have them tighten the down the fuse panel. You could also just call a service advisor and see if they have already heard of that problem. It is hard to get them to work an intermittent problem unless they have seen the problem before, or you give them some idea as what others did to fix it.

1FstYota

Registered Member
WA
Thought one person said it had to do with the P switch in the shifter that's not working properly making the car think its not in P.

rickkapur

Registered Member
San Jose, CA
Maybe a faulty brake pedal switch. Keep the start button pushed in for a ten plus seconds, and if its the brake switch issue then the starter will bypass that and the car should start

pmcjr

Been here awhile...
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Eckert Hyundai is here to help. Watch our how to videos and read our service blog. Go to the "How to override the push button start video". I've had a problem once or twice where the brake pedal wouldn't depress to start the car. The method in this video overrides the brake pedal as a requirement to start the car. Pretty much what rickkapur said above. As to Serpico2's problem, this may help if the problem is the brake pedal.

rickkapur

Registered Member
San Jose, CA
Just the past two days, my 2015 5.0 won’t start, at least not reliably at all. Had both kids (under 2!) at the mall and scared to death when it wouldn’t start. Not a power issue, all electrical systems turn on, engine doesn’t even try to turn over. I must have pushed the start button 25 times. I tried putting it in drive and back to Park; tried opening and closing the door. Eventually it just worked. Then this morning, I tried and again it wouldn’t turn on. Again, after trying the second key fob, nothing. And again, it simply worked on the 15th or so try. I looked in the manual and it said sometimes phones can affect the signal but I didn’t even have my phone on me this morning.

I don’t want to just hope it will continue to work (eventually), but as I said I have two young kids, long commute, it’s hard to find time to get it in for service and I’m owner #2 so no consierge service. Has anyone else had this issue?
Any updates on the fix?

Markymark

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Interestingly I have had this issue twice in 2 months: I get in the car, press the start button, and the car doesn't start. The "on" light on the start button is illuminated and lights and radio etc come on, but the starter doesn't engage (or click).
It almost seems like a ECU brain fart.

What appears to solve this is to turn "off" the car, get out of the car, lock the car, then get back in and restart.
Anyone else experience this?

Revvdmedia

Registered Member
You mention "at the mall." I've had a few occasions at the recreation center in my city where the door unlock would not work and the car would only start using the override with the fob (basically ignoring the signal from the key). I only mention because when searching for my own issue, it seems these push button start cars can be susceptible to interference. I would think your car would say "key not detected" or something like that.

It might not be your problem, but if it is only isolated to a specific location, interference could be the issue. I suspect the issue I was facing was the cameras outside which look to operate over wifi.

skipgen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
The vehicle has a lot of electrical problems. I've had a frozen sunroof; two door 'regulators,' lights that go out at night; etc.
And, rats love the car.
Wow. Hope the little f@ckers haven't chewed through something! Rodents love electrical wiring for some reason.

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
The environmentally friendly insulation that wires use now tastes good to them.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums