• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - Facebook and Instagram. Something new is coming for Genesis owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

All Wheel Drive explained

grtday

Been here awhile...
As I was searching for my G90, I had the choice between Rear Wheel Drive and All Wheel Drive. I did some research and asking of this group. I concluded that in Texas, we have little need for all wheel drive and it was just more stuff to complicate an already complicated vehicle.
This is an excellent article and wish it was available as I was making my decisions.. Enjoy!

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
As I was searching for my G90, I had the choice between Rear Wheel Drive and All Wheel Drive. I did some research and asking of this group. I concluded that in Texas, we have little need for all wheel drive and it was just more stuff to complicate an already complicated vehicle.
This is an excellent article and wish it was available as I was making my decisions.. Enjoy!

My last and present cars are AWD, bought when I lived in CT. It was really beneficial and worth the cost on snow covered hills. Moved to Florida three years and and would not buy AWD here. I see no reason to visit there when the weather is bad, it will be 2 degrees tomorrow. I'm going to call my friend, not visit.

Trixie86

Registered Member
Chicago, Il
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
My last and present cars are AWD, bought when I lived in CT. It was really beneficial and worth the cost on snow covered hills. Moved to Florida three years and and would not buy AWD here. I see no reason to visit there when the weather is bad, it will be 2 degrees tomorrow. I'm going to call my friend, not visit.
Ha, phone a friend. Old Skool!

ctrcbob

Been here awhile...
Mount Dora FL; Penfield NY; Roswell NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I understand what you are saying.
I live in Central Florida. My G80 is RWD. My other car, 2018 Regal
Tour-X (as all Tour-X) is AWD.
If I’m called to go to my Rochester NY (snow country) in an emergency, I’ll take the Tour-X.
Would “probably” take the Tour-X to my Roswell NM location also, as Ive seen snow there and in NW Texas, and I-40 between Albuquerque and Flagstaff. (Big snow in Ruidoso).

Spring, Summer and Fall, definitely my RWD G80.

SuperKing

Registered Member
Vancouver, BC
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Canada doesn't even get a choice. I think all Genesis vehicles are AWD... there might be an oddball G70 manual that was sold with RWD that nobody bought but the big boy cars are all AWD.... That might change with the GV60 might have a RWD model.

Of course the early Hyundai Genesis models were RWD but 2015 onwards, only AWD for Canada :(

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I live in Houston and wanted AWD.

Better in the rain... It's Houston.

Take a sharp turn with a RWD and you could spin out if you punch it hard and aren't paying attention.

Do you ever go to be beach and park on sand?

Visit places with snow?

iSOBigD

Registered Member
I have the AWD and had the RWD 2012 Genesis Sedan before this. I 100% would have gotten stuck many times this winter in Canada - in fact, someone I know with a RWD Genesis did get stuck multiple times already. The AWD G90 goes over deep snow and on all kinds of ice like it's nothing (it doesn't affect braking though) while still allowing drifting depending on the drive mode, so it's been really great so far. It accelerates really well in very slippery conditions where RWD cars can barely take off from a stop light, so it's not even comparable in situations where the roads aren't warm and dry.

If there was little to no snow or ice where I lived, I'd be fine with RWD but I drove during snow storm yesterday and it doesn't even go over 1200 RPM when driving over this garbage:

1642550197569.png

1642550245828.png

1642550341270.png

G-400322

My 2017 G90 Sticker reads it it a Rear Wheel drive. However, in my menu, it show AWD options (comfort, sport..etc I can change. How can I tell if it really is an AWD or just rear wheel drive?

iSOBigD

Registered Member
My 2017 G90 Sticker reads it it a Rear Wheel drive. However, in my menu, it show AWD options (comfort, sport..etc I can change. How can I tell if it really is an AWD or just rear wheel drive?
Try setting the car in Smart mode, put a camera outside, set to slow motion (high frame rate) and floor it for a second 😁

katulu

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
My equation is: snow=AWD. I was lucky I only ever slipped a little on my old 2008 Avalon in winter, but ever since I got my first AWD Lexus, never going back. Unless there's absolutely no snow.

rmod

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Turn the steering wheel all the way to right or left. Get out and see behind the front wheels. If you can see a CV axle going into the wheel hub then you have AWD.

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!