Alloy wheel corrosion

nickpike

Registered Member
Thread starter #1
Hi, my rear alloy wheels are corroding, from the inside edge of the spokes. I'm hoping I can get them replaced under Warranty.
Anyone else have this, and were they replaced?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Rears corroding but front ok? Have you tried removing it to see it is corrosion and not some strange coating buildup? Most can be cleaned by rubbing with crumpled aluminum foil and Coke, then a wax or protective coating.

nickpike

Registered Member
Thread starter #4
Rears corroding but front ok? Have you tried removing it to see it is corrosion and not some strange coating buildup? Most can be cleaned by rubbing with crumpled aluminum foil and Coke, then a wax or protective coating.
It's definitely a removal of the paint layer. The dealer says that other cars here in the UK have had the same problem and is covered under warranty. It's booked-in for inspection so I'll let them remove all four wheels and inspect them.

bigdogbts

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Any news on what happened with your rims? I've noticed the same type of corrosion on the central hubs (right outside of the genesis logo plug) on three of my four rims. When I called my dealer, he said that typically, that's not covered under warranty?!?!? I'd like to see what your experience was.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
That looks like it was caused by some kind of physical contact with the rim. If so, why would that be covered unless it was a new car delivered to customer that way?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
That looks like it was caused by some kind of physical contact with the rim. If so, why would that be covered unless it was a new car delivered to customer that way?
I think you are correct. Looking closer there seems to be some horizontal lines like a scrape. Actual inspection will show that easily.

bigdogbts

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
And you'd be wrong. That's what makes it so weird. These spots are completely smooth, as this is actually under the clear coat. Additionally, it's occurring on 3 our of my 4 rims at a similar spot. Hence the question.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.