2.0T Almost new car broke down with a misfiring cylinder, dealership is claiming there is DIESEL in the fuel tank. WTF?!

Sazerac_LA

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have a lease on 2019 Genesis G70 with just under 6000 miles on it. Last fill up was 5 days ago from a Mobil gas station in a heavily trafficked part of the city from almost empty to full with premium 93. Put ~100 miles on it since last fill up and all of a sudden after driving for miles the car lost power and died. Could restart but check engine light came on and OBD code readout from my creepy Metromile GPS tracker insurance thing said it was a cylinder misfire.

Towed to dealership yesterday, today they call and say what were you doing when it broke down. When I described my situation the mechanic said there is diesel in the gas tank that's why, we have to flush lines and clean it out at your expense and then see if anything else is damaged. I panicked and told him to hold on any labor. No one has driven or gassed up the car besides me and I sure as hell didn't put diesel in?!

The more research I do the more unlikely it sounds that diesel could be in the gas tank unless the gas stations gas was tainted? What other possibilities are there? What information if any should I arm myself with when I show up in person tomorrow? Anyone heard of anything like this?

jimmy buoy

Getting familiar with the group...
Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I’d go back to the gas station with an empty jerry can and take a sample from the same pump to see if diesel is in their gas first. You’d also have the receipt showing the purchase of gas right? It might not be the gas station... maybe not even diesel.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I have a lease on 2019 Genesis G70 with just under 6000 miles on it. Last fill up was 5 days ago from a Mobil gas station in a heavily trafficked part of the city from almost empty to full with premium 93. Put ~100 miles on it since last fill up and all of a sudden after driving for miles the car lost power and died. Could restart but check engine light came on and OBD code readout from my creepy Metromile GPS tracker insurance thing said it was a cylinder misfire.

Towed to dealership yesterday, today they call and say what were you doing when it broke down. When I described my situation the mechanic said there is diesel in the gas tank that's why, we have to flush lines and clean it out at your expense and then see if anything else is damaged. I panicked and told him to hold on any labor. No one has driven or gassed up the car besides me and I sure as hell didn't put diesel in?!

The more research I do the more unlikely it sounds that diesel could be in the gas tank unless the gas stations gas was tainted? What other possibilities are there? What information if any should I arm myself with when I show up in person tomorrow? Anyone heard of anything like this?
Yes, it has happened. The one case I know of, the car had some gas in the tank when it was added so it was dilute and easily flushed. The storage tank was filled with diesel accidentally.

Check with the station. They would be liable for the costs of repairs if it is their error. The chance of you grabbing the wrong pump is minimal as the spout from a diesel pump is too large to fit into the hole of a gas filler.

A Google search brought up a few hits of it happening in the past year. .

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Agreed. Tainted fuel at well traveled gas stations has happened before. Most repeatable stations will help their customers in this regard but I’m assuming they will want to hear from more than just one customer saying the stations gas was bad. Probably going to be a bit of a hassle for reimbursement but stick with it. Station owner will probably go back to his fuel distributor to sort things out.

Nickpacheco

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

I have a 2020 G70 2.0 and same issue happened to me (less than 4000 miles currently). Misfire on one cylinder. They changed the faulty fuel injector and spark plug. This was about two weeks ago. My car went back to service a few days ago because of issues with it cranking over, smoke from the exhaust, and a bad gas smell on start. From what I have been able to research and discuss it sounds like a fuel pressure problem. I am still waiting to hear back from the dealer on the second issue. Have you experienced the second issue as well?

CVODON

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
If you do end up with diesel in the tank, call your auto insurance company before proceeding any further. I had a constant stream of these claims in the past where folks inadvertently put diesel in a gas car. This is done accidentially so it is a covered loss. Also the Insurance adjustor, if he is knowledgeable, will get involved and not let the dealership just start replacing stuff for no reason (A St Pete unnamed dealer liked to charge people who did this for every line on the car, steel mind you as well as rubber including the return and evap lines, cost thousands and they tried to tell folks it was required, when I showed up from the ins company that always changed to a flush only). Either way, you should only have to spend your deductible.

rippermac

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I ended up with water in my 2020 3.3T at 2500 miles. Never went to the gas station to complain as I doubt they would have fessed up. Didn't realize my insurance until dealer mentioned it. Drained tank, new fuel and seems to be running fine. Cost me my deductible. Gave the insurance company a copy of my receipt as requested.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums