Altering spark plug gap or replacing plugs affect engine dymanics.

Acpantera

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I installed the Denso 5346 spark plugs gapped as BMS suggests at .022". The OEM plugs (NGK IR #sil zfr 7a 9g) all had a gap of .033" and looked to be in great shape(4000 miles). I took her out for a 20 mile run to feel it out, I have noticed no change in performance or running quality of the engine.
Going to take it on a 400 mile roadtrip this weekend before I put the tuner on it.

Messana

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Found out that spark plugs are not even addressed until 100k miles !! So I can replace them and nobody will ever know. I won't go over 36k miles...I'm in a 3 year lease...and I will even be under that.

So things are looking promising !!

I went with the lease option too and was wondering the same thing about plugs. Thanks for posting that. How hard are these plugs to change?

depth10

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Any insight into difficulty in swapping these plugs on the G70/G80? I can access all but 2 easily, they are right under the IM. Afraid to take off the IM and screw something up :D

Acpantera

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Any insight into difficulty in swapping these plugs on the G70/G80? I can access all but 2 easily, they are right under the IM. Afraid to take off the IM and screw something up :D
I replaced the plugs without removing the IM. 1/4" drive tools are helpful as well as a steady hand. There is a vid on it somewhere.

depth10

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
How in the world...lol I am going to take a pic and post it here, the IM is literally on top of the plug with about 1.5" clearance above. What year is your G80 3.3T Sport?

Acpantera

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
How in the world...lol I am going to take a pic and post it here, the IM is literally on top of the plug with about 1.5" clearance above. What year is your G80 3.3T Sport?
I know it looks impossible, but many have done it. I have a 2018.
Good info on the Kia Stinger site. Those folks have really tinkered with the 3.3T.

G-593063

Found out that spark plugs are not even addressed until 100k miles !! So I can replace them and nobody will ever know. I won't go over 36k miles...I'm in a 3 year lease...and I will even be under that.

So things are looking promising !!

People are saying there is tamper tape on those areas that will let them know if you changed the plugs. Can anyone confirm on a 2019 G70

Killerbeeairsoft

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
For those looking to change plugs, I uploaded a video. You can definitely do it without removing the intake manifold. Just remove the left rear coil pack and then remove the center left coil pack and slide it out through rear. Then you can use a swivel and get right in there.
Install video

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Don’t make it sound easy. Many have tried. If you have big hands...forget about it.

The guy in the video even states the guy’s hands are tiny.

Killerbeeairsoft

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Don’t make it sound easy. Many have tried. If you have big hands...forget about it.

The guy in the video even states the guy’s hands are tiny.
I have big hands , that’s why I held the camera while Justin did the work. Small hands definitely make it easier, as same for just about anything else under the hood. A little fínese and the coil packs slide right out through the back. A lot easier than removing the manifold, and shouldn’t be difficult for anyone with mechanic experience regardless of hand size.

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have big hands , that’s why I held the camera while Justin did the work. Small hands definitely make it easier, as same for just about anything else under the hood. A little fínese and the coil packs slide right out through the back. A lot easier than removing the manifold, and shouldn’t be difficult for anyone with mechanic experience regardless of hand size.
Completely disagree. I started to do it...with all the tools...no way. Got it done for $125.

I’m 6’1” with big hands...not worth it. Until you do in yourself...I say no way.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums