Alternatives to G70?

devellis

Been here awhile...
North Carolina
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
As more comes out about the G70 and as the timing for its US appearance gets pushed back, I find myself considering some other options. Of course, the "usual suspects," other sport/luxury sedans, have always been obvious candidates. But as I hear about the tight back seat, for example, I find myself considering some coupes, as well. I really think of the G70's rear seat pretty much the way I think about rear seats in coupes, as not a place for fully-grown adults when traveling any appreciable distance. So that has gotten me thinking about some other possibilities.

Two I found myself searching online are the Infiniti Q60 RS and, even more surprising, the 2018 Mustang GT. Each of these lacks some advantages of the G70 but surpasses it in other respects.

The Q60 has the Infiniti dealer network, which I've experienced in very positive terms. And Infiniti seems eager to offer discounts. The car lacks some tech stuff that the G70 has and in AWD trim, would probably warrant at least considering replacement of the run-flat tires with something better. But those are tolerable trade-offs, potentially.

The Mustang GT with performance package and magnetic shocks is something of a surprise. It's gotten really great reviews, is amazingly quick with the new 460 HP engine, has upgraded the interior substantially, and now handles better than any previous Mustang. Multiple reviewers describe it as driving more like a European sports-oriented car than previous Mustangs. Its warranty is a lot shorter, it lacks some of the great tech of the G70, and I wonder about a Ford dealership as a point of purchase, but the pluses are definitely there. I've seen mixed reports about discounting but suspect that with an internet purchase (or brokered purchase through the local credit union) a reasonable discount can be realized.

So, each of these three entails trade-offs. The Mustang has amazing performance and sportiness in a package that has gained substantial refinement but still falls short of what I expect from Genesis refinement. The Infiniti is every bit as quick as the G70 and has excellent local dealerships but is a bit dated on the tech front (which isn't something that greatly troubles me, to be honest). The G70 is an attractive, modern package but still has some unknowns, price being foremost. In thinking about what's caught my eye of late, I realize that performance seems to edge out luxury to a degree as I evaluate various choices.

I don't know how things will sort out at this point and G70 pricing is obviously a vital data point that is still unknown. But I'm wondering if others here also are considering alternatives outside of the European and Japanese "usual suspects." If so, what are you looking at? If not, what are your reasons for excluding other options?

Buckdes

Getting familiar with the group...
As more comes out about the G70 and as the timing for its US appearance gets pushed back, I find myself considering some other options. Of course, the "usual suspects," other sport/luxury sedans, have always been obvious candidates. But as I hear about the tight back seat, for example, I find myself considering some coupes, as well. I really think of the G70's rear seat pretty much the way I think about rear seats in coupes, as not a place for fully-grown adults when traveling any appreciable distance. So that has gotten me thinking about some other possibilities.

Two I found myself searching online are the Infiniti Q60 RS and, even more surprising, the 2018 Mustang GT. Each of these lacks some advantages of the G70 but surpasses it in other respects.

The Q60 has the Infiniti dealer network, which I've experienced in very positive terms. And Infiniti seems eager to offer discounts. The car lacks some tech stuff that the G70 has and in AWD trim, would probably warrant at least considering replacement of the run-flat tires with something better. But those are tolerable trade-offs, potentially.

The Mustang GT with performance package and magnetic shocks is something of a surprise. It's gotten really great reviews, is amazingly quick with the new 460 HP engine, has upgraded the interior substantially, and now handles better than any previous Mustang. Multiple reviewers describe it as driving more like a European sports-oriented car than previous Mustangs. Its warranty is a lot shorter, it lacks some of the great tech of the G70, and I wonder about a Ford dealership as a point of purchase, but the pluses are definitely there. I've seen mixed reports about discounting but suspect that with an internet purchase (or brokered purchase through the local credit union) a reasonable discount can be realized.

So, each of these three entails trade-offs. The Mustang has amazing performance and sportiness in a package that has gained substantial refinement but still falls short of what I expect from Genesis refinement. The Infiniti is every bit as quick as the G70 and has excellent local dealerships but is a bit dated on the tech front (which isn't something that greatly troubles me, to be honest). The G70 is an attractive, modern package but still has some unknowns, price being foremost. In thinking about what's caught my eye of late, I realize that performance seems to edge out luxury to a degree as I evaluate various choices.

I don't know how things will sort out at this point and G70 pricing is obviously a vital data point that is still unknown. But I'm wondering if others here also are considering alternatives outside of the European and Japanese "usual suspects." If so, what are you looking at? If not, what are your reasons for excluding other options?
LOL.. it sounds like you are in a tough but very fun spot as car shopping is hellova time.

That being said i have tested most of its competitors which include

BMW- 2018 440i M performance edition,
2018 340i , 2018 m240i

Audi- 2018 S3 and S4

Mercedes- 2017 C43, 2017 Gla45, 2017 Cla45

2017 Infiniti Q60s red sport

Lexus ????? I think it was an rc 350 fsport lol i just asked the salesman for his best performing car around $60000 cad

In the end i went with the G70 mainly on the bang for buck factor as my top BMW pick was the 440i but that car was 15000 more. My Mercedes pick was the c43 coupe but that was mid 70000 new and even mid 60000 used with 10000km.

Lexus was not even in the running due to lack of performance

Audi the s4 was wayyy too much money but the S3 was a very close second pick to the G70 but even with haggling for a month the price would have been a tad over the G70 but with higher interest rate

I loved the Q60s alot.. and it was right there with the G70 and S3 but brand new they are listed at 67000-69000 but with discounts they are about 60000 cad.
Overall cost of ownership would be more because of maintenance and the interest rates but i liked how the G70 drove better ( acceleration felt quicker from a stop and i enjoyed the steering better in the G70 ) and i liked the interior layout/quality more as well as a few more features

Its also pretty cool owning the G70 as not alot of people have them and it gets a bunch of attention (i dont normally like that)

I did look at a 2017 Camaro 2ss which are 52000 CAD lol but i am not comfy with that car in the winter so wanted AWD.

In the end i was super happy i didnt jump the gun on a purchase even though all the cars above are Great but i felt for the 60000 CAD i spent i got the best deal i could.

Genesis Motors

Genesis Motors Forum
Staff member
Palm Beach, Florida
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)

The best alternative to the Genesis G70 is, of course, the Kia Stinger. It's more or less the same car... Go to www.kiastinger.com for details...

Buckdes

My 2015 mustang GT sounded about 100 times cooler then the G70. But nothing beats the rumble of a V8. For me having a car I can drive all year was worth giving up the Mustang. At least that's what I keep telling myself.
I agree about the sound, i am more of a performance exhaust guy and love the crackle and pops which is my only dislike of the G70 but the only things that had that were much more costly than the G70

WhoIsHomer

Hasn't posted much yet...
Edmonton
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yes overall I am very happy with the G70. I had considered a Lexus is350 as well. Basically the same price. Less power, less technology no prepaid maintenance and Im pretty sure I doesn't send as much power to the rear wheels.

devellis

Been here awhile...
North Carolina
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I was actually surprised by all the Mustang has to offer. Dealers are discounting and I suspect a pretty much fully-loaded one will end up costing less than the G70. It's much faster, sounds much better, and handles really well. One online video I saw (see below) had a "civilian" tester (not a pro) getting 0-60 in 4 seconds flat with a car straight off the showroom floor. I don't take that too literally (he was using the integrated acceleration timing function built into the car and I don't know if that's totally accurate) but it clearly indicates some serious get-up-and-go. The Sync 3 entertainment system is outstanding, with many rating it as the best system available. The Mustang's tech/safety offerings have improved with back-up camera, lane warning, collision avoidance, etc., but no 360 degree camera or heads-up display. Safety tech is pretty much the same as the Q60. The instrument display has a lot of cool features and is highly modifiable. The appearance of the gauges can be altered completely. It's actually very nice. Rear seat is vestigial but I'm okay with that. Interior has nice stitched leather and metal trim, not as nice as what I assume the Genesis will have but definitely nicer than earlier Mustangs. The 10-speed automatic learns your driving habits to smooth out transitions. If you drive aggressively, for example, it learns to drop down multiple gears instantaneously rather than sequentially if you lay into the gas. The magnetic shocks have metal particles suspended in the fluid and an electromagnetic housing. Variable current supplied to the electromagnet alters the viscosity of the fluid so that the shocks can smooth out the ride by lessening viscosity for small road irregularities but increase it for larger wheel deflections like cornering forces. By all reports, it works really well. This is all in addition to other electronic suspension controls. Reviews of the engine, transmission, and suspension are consistently excellent from what I've seen.

Even with all the improvements, the Mustang is clearly a more heavy-handed car than the G70. It's sort of a broadsword to the G70's rapier. But it definitely has its own appeal. I honestly never imagined a V8 Mustang would be something I'd ever consider but after taking a closer look, I am at least contemplating it as a possibility.

Price will definitely be a factor. If the G70 is less out the door than a Mustang, I'm petty sure that's the way I'd go. If it costs more out the door, I may be hard pressed to turn my back on the Mustang (something I never thought I'd be saying, to be honest). The Stinger pricing in the US I think pretty much rules it out as an option. We pay more for less than Canadians do. If that turns out to be true with the G70, I'd find that a hard pill to swallow.

Here's a link to one video review:

WhoIsHomer

Hasn't posted much yet...
Edmonton
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Exactly why I sold my mustang. I wanted a car I could drive year round

devellis

Been here awhile...
North Carolina
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I'd like AWD too, and would get it on a G70. But living in North Carolina, it's by no means a necessity and not having it wouldn't be a deal breaker for a car with the Mustang's performance characteristics. We have maybe 2 or 3 days a year when it would be helpful and, for those days, my Infiniti QX50 would be pressed into service. The QX50 is my first daily drive to have AWD (although my wife has had Subarus for the past several years) and I've managed without it reasonably well. Still, though, a nice feature to have.

Buckdes

I'd like AWD too, and would get it on a G70. But living in North Carolina, it's by no means a necessity and not having it wouldn't be a deal breaker for a car with the Mustang's performance characteristics. We have maybe 2 or 3 days a year when it would be helpful and, for those days, my Infiniti QX50 would be pressed into service. The QX50 is my first daily drive to have AWD (although my wife has had Subarus for the past several years) and I've managed without it reasonably well. Still, though, a nice feature to have.
If you are looking for some flashy traffic light to traffic light performance, in my G70 i have taken off and pulled ahead of a couple RWD muscle cars like the Camaro ss and The mustang GT the AWD really helps with the initial burst of acceleration but keep in mind i only accelerate to a little over the speed limit (65km) but it really makes those guys mad.

There are so many Mustangs driving around and they do look and sound great and i am sure are beasts but MY LORD every person i drive by has to take a look at the Genesis lol i kinda like it

cheez

Devellis - I'm afraid you've been misinformed... 2018 Mustang GT is not much faster than the G70. That Stang is typically good for 4.0 sec 0-60 (thanks to its 10 speed auto) on street. The G70 does it in 4.15~4.17 sec. The difference is so small it would be drivers race. Whoever starts first will take the lead. .. . but the scary part is that the G70 picks up speed even greater high in the triple digits. Recent video source from the test drivers show that the G70 is about 7 and half seconds faster than the late model (2017) Mustang GT with 6 speed manual transmission from 0 to 260 kph (162 mph). That is a massive huge difference and absolutely humiliating defeat for the Stang driver.

G70 0-260 kph (162 mph) in 37 seconds

Mustang GT 6MT 0-260 kph in 44.5 seconds

It seems the Stinger can't even compete against the G70 in the 0-260 kph class but test shows that the Stinger GT is about 9 seconds slower than the G70 in 0-240 kph run (see first video). That is a huge difference.

Last edited:

cheez

If you are looking for some flashy traffic light to traffic light performance, in my G70 i have taken off and pulled ahead of a couple RWD muscle cars like the Camaro ss and The mustang GT the AWD really helps with the initial burst of acceleration but keep in mind i only accelerate to a little over the speed limit (65km) but it really makes those guys mad.

There are so many Mustangs driving around and they do look and sound great and i am sure are beasts but MY LORD every person i drive by has to take a look at the Genesis lol i kinda liked it
Exactly. Mustang GTs prior to 2018 won't be able to take on the G70 from dig and it gets even worse at higher speeds as the G70 contiues to pull. Mustang (or any similar rwd muscle cars) drivers would get nervous because any slight mistake on the launch would result loss in the race as their cars struggle with traction. The 2018 Stang would also struggle due to lack of traction. Thanks for posting your driving impression on the G70. :)

Last edited:

Beefer

Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Devellis - I'm afraid you've been misinformed... 2018 Mustang GT is not much faster than the G70. That Stang is typically good for 4.0 sec 0-60 (thanks to its 10 speed auto) on street. The G70 does it in 4.15~4.17 sec. The difference is so small it would be drivers race. Whoever starts first will take the lead. .. . but the scary part is that the G70 picks up speed even greater high in the triple digits. Recent video source from the test drivers show that the G70 is about 7 and half seconds faster than the late model (2017) Mustang GT with 6 speed manual transmission from 0 to 260 kph (162 mph). That is a massive huge difference and absolutely humiliating defeat for the Stang driver.

G70 0-260 kph (162 mph) in 37 seconds

Mustang GT 6MT 0-260 kph in 44.5 seconds

It seems the Stinger can't even compete against the G70 in the 0-260 kph run but test shows that the Stinger GT is about 9 seconds slower than the G70 in 0-240 kph run (see first video). That is a huge difference.
4.15~4.17 sec??....c’mon now.

There have been ZERO North American official reviews with times.

Buckdes

4.15~4.17 sec??....c’mon now.

There have been ZERO North American official reviews with times.
I would like to test mine but i havd no equipment to measure but i have a funny feeling that when Car and Driver get their hands on a G70 they will get 4.2-4.3 0 to 60.

cheez

The car pulls nicely past 200. Don't ask me how I know! :geek:
Yeah when I saw that video I was stunned.. That 5th and 6th gear pull is amazing when shifting into 6th gear it puts right at 5500 rpm keeping the engine at its peak performance that is ferocious acceleration. 7 and half second faster than the Stang at 260 kph lol.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.