Android Auto for Genesis?

Heymjo

Registered Member
Thanks for linking the article. I have been in contact with Ricky Lao, the product manager at Hyundai in charge of this upgrade. He said they are working on it for the Genesis. There are 2 screens available on the Genesis -- the 8" and the 9.2". The 8" has the same technology as the Sonata's 8" screen, so it is more likely that the Genesis with the 8" screen will get an upgrade first. Those of us with the 9.2" screen will have to wait until they develop the upgrade (which he says they are working on) for the 9.2" architecture. We are all still waiting with baited breath!

gohawkeyes

Registered Member
Great info. You would think that they would upgrade those of us with the Ultimate first, but I guess we'll have to wait.

Heymjo

Registered Member
I would think it 's a matter of sales numbers. Sonata is their to seller and I think 8" Genesis sells more than 9.2" screen. Plus it' s a different technology in the 8" so it requires more r&d

DRS

Banned
Thanks for linking the article. I have been in contact with Ricky Lao, the product manager at Hyundai in charge of this upgrade. He said they are working on it for the Genesis. There are 2 screens available on the Genesis -- the 8" and the 9.2". The 8" has the same technology as the Sonata's 8" screen, so it is more likely that the Genesis with the 8" screen will get an upgrade first. Those of us with the 9.2" screen will have to wait until they develop the upgrade (which he says they are working on) for the 9.2" architecture. We are all still waiting with baited breath!
I may be wrong on timing... I seem to remember that when this all was announced to be developed, their was mention that the first gen Genny (at least 2013-14 models) would be upgraded to support Apple.. Then that disappeared.. Android support announced and they said any of the next gen would have this and Apple as easy upgrade... Well. Not so fast.. They "porting" of the first gen DIS code to the 9.2" version, is not easy to upgrade since they focused on the new code that the 8.2" and other Hyundai models use. I bet, this "working on it" will mean scrapping the code that powers the 9.2" and replacing in newer model years with the new code that the rest of the cars are using. With split screen capability and other items in the new code, not sure the Ultimates will get anything but "updates". Wish to be wrong on this.

I wonder which version of the code support 360 degree camera?

edevans74

Hasn't posted much yet...
Do we know for sure that Hyundai will offer Android Auto as an "upgrade" for those of us who already own a Genesis, or is this a case of future model years getting getting "upgraded" to the new version of code?

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I'd prefer to wait with bated breath, TYVM. 😬

allisondbl

Registered Member
Yesterday, Hyundai announced that they would offer Android Auto in their models, starting with the Sonata. Anybody know if/when they plan on making it available for the Genesis?
I'm going to throw a thought into the mix on this that I haven't seen talked about. I am ignorant as to how the HUD is/isn't LINKED to the Nav. It occurred to me to wonder: if I get Apple Car Play in my 2015 Genesis 3.8 Ultimate with its 9 inch NAV - in case specifics are relevant - and I choose to use/mirror Waze, for the HUD to work either it would have to be able to pull the relevant info and routes from Waze to mirror the app, OR you would have to simultaneously run the address through the Nav and HOPE it followed Waze' route - I can tell you it does NOT happen a lot ...

So you are faced with giving up a move to the future or losing an expensive critical feature of our cars and have to choose and I can tell you that would/will be a TOUGH decision.

Mind one could run the address through both systems and follow HUD where it works and when you notice it isn'/t the same follow Waze .... yeah, I think you can see the problem here!

So I'm going to guess that it might be connecting the HUD to third party GPS apps that's stalling availability as that is a hardware feature NOT available in most cars and thus the software for linkage would be unique. By which I just mean every car has a radio, USB system so much software is reusable or adaptable to different Makes and models etc. not with this ...

Nikgen

Been here awhile...
I'm going to throw a thought into the mix on this that I haven't seen talked about. I am ignorant as to how the HUD is/isn't LINKED to the Nav. It occurred to me to wonder: if I get Apple Car Play in my 2015 Genesis 3.8 Ultimate with its 9 inch NAV - in case specifics are relevant - and I choose to use/mirror Waze, for the HUD to work either it would have to be able to pull the relevant info and routes from Waze to mirror the app, OR you would have to simultaneously run the address through the Nav and HOPE it followed Waze' route - I can tell you it does NOT happen a lot ...

So you are faced with giving up a move to the future or losing an expensive critical feature of our cars and have to choose and I can tell you that would/will be a TOUGH decision.

Mind one could run the address through both systems and follow HUD where it works and when you notice it isn'/t the same follow Waze .... yeah, I think you can see the problem here!

So I'm going to guess that it might be connecting the HUD to third party GPS apps that's stalling availability as that is a hardware feature NOT available in most cars and thus the software for linkage would be unique. By which I just mean every car has a radio, USB system so much software is reusable or adaptable to different Makes and models etc. not with this ...
I HIGHLY doubt the HUD will provide any Nav output from either CarPlay or Android Auto as both sysytems really only mirror the phone screen onto your in-car display. I'd also almost guatantee that Waze (i.e., Google) won't be a CarPlay app - maybe Android Auto though.

quanva

Registered Member
i'm sure once dealers have the go ahead to flash sonata CPU's I can have my dealer do mine

would be even better if they made the update available on myhyundai.com or just an OTA update you could access in car

Iostream

Getting familiar with the group...
Allen, TX
There are some very significant differences between the Ultimate system and the base system. The base system runs android as the OS, is ARM based, and is the same system as the Sonata. The Ultimate system is intel based, runs Meego, and is a very different beast. Basically I think the differences between Sonata and Genesis base are so small that they probably have everything working already. But they don't want to upgrade base without upgrading ultimate.

Nikgen

Been here awhile...
Curious as to why you would think ultimates should go first.
Because it's the premium model that folks paid extra for. Personally, I think all 2015 Genesis models should be upgraded together - upgrading the base unit before the Ultimate because it's "easier" (due to Sonata similarities) would be a bad PR/customer service move!

ksoze

Registered Member
Because it's the premium model that folks paid extra for. Personally, I think all 2015 Genesis models should be upgraded together - upgrading the base unit before the Ultimate because it's "easier" (due to Sonata similarities) would be a bad PR/customer service move!
Maybe that's what the free tires were for ;)

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Can always count on PMCErnie for irrelevant nonsense remarks especially concerning anything to do with the 2nd generation Genesis. Hmm….why is that. Oh well it’s part of the forum experience. :rolleyes:
Hey, don't "bait" me. :confused: 1st Gen owners have deep concerns for the quirks of 2nd Gen cars and want all the bugs resolved before we buy one.

Ernie3647

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Middletown NY
Does that mean all the bugs were resolved on the 1st Generation ?:confused:
Curiously how do you think the 1st year of the 2nd Generation compares with the 1st year of the 1st Generation as far as “quirks”.