• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Android Auto for Ultimate Package

wksim

Hasn't posted much yet...
Colorado
Hello,

I am new here. I just bought 2015 AWD Ultimate, and I am still learning about the car and all the features.

It is a great car. One of the things that I was a little disappointed however is the lack of support for Android Auto. I found an old thread around this and it seems that is just way it is - at least for now.

However, I wonder if anyone has tried to install Android Auto on Genesis with Ultimate package. I don't mind not being able to use the controller. I just want to be able to use Google Map with the traffic reports.

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks.

allan

Registered Member
NJ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I have a 2016 Ultimate. Went to the MyHyundai page and there is no Downloads link at the top.

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Unfortunately, Hyundai doesn't officially support Android Auto or Apple CarPlay with the Ultimate. I have not heard of anyone getting it to work (which is not the same as saying it can't be done).

jsmit86

Registered Member
Elgin, IL
The simple answer for 2015-17 models:

8" Screens, AVN 4.5 System, Tech Package and below - Update is available.
9.2" Screens DIS system Ultimate Package - Not up-gradable (as in No... Not Possible, really! Even if your salesman said so, or you read it on the internet!)

2018 Models - per the advance information, both CarPlay and Android Auto will come as standard on all models. Again, advance information, so stay tuned.

wksim

Colorado
cuervoman, if you downloaded the software from MyHundai website, can I get the software from you. I want to try to install it on my Genesis (Ultimate). Although it is not supported by Hyundai, I just want to try it.

Can you save the downloaded file to a cloud (like DropBox, Google Drive)? I really appreciate that. I am a software engineer, so I want to give it a shot.

jsmit86

Registered Member
Elgin, IL
cuervoman, if you downloaded the software from MyHundai website, can I get the software from you. I want to try to install it on my Genesis (Ultimate). Although it is not supported by Hyundai, I just want to try it.

Can you save the downloaded file to a cloud (like DropBox, Google Drive)? I really appreciate that. I am a software engineer, so I want to give it a shot.
The DIS hardware is not capable. Search this forum.
I don't think the system will recognize the upgrade.

What could possibly go wrong? You could brick the system.
That wouldn't be covered by warranty. IIRC, the replacement is around $4-5K. So why not give it shot! :biggrin:

Actually -
here is some background as to why.... the 2 different systems are totally different platforms.

The 8" system (non-ultimate) Android based, newer platform.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/2015-hyundai-genesis-technology-review,3794-3.html

Your system - Intel Atom based... and it's an older platform
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/2015-hyundai-genesis-technology-review,3794-4.html

So.. there is ZERO chance that the upgraded firmware for the Android based system will be accepted by the Intel Atom based unit.

g_322169

The simple answer for 2015-17 models:

8" Screens, AVN 4.5 System, Tech Package and below - Update is available.
9.2" Screens DIS system Ultimate Package - Not up-gradable (as in No... Not Possible, really! Even if your salesman said so, or you read it on the internet!)

2018 Models - per the advance information, both CarPlay and Android Auto will come as standard on all models. Again, advance information, so stay tuned.
Any thoughts on Android Auto on 2015 Equus Signature

snork

Registered Member
North NJ
Genesis Model Type
Any thoughts on Android Auto on 2015 Equus Signature
The Equus were equipped with basically the same DIS (knob) headunit as the Genesis Ultimate. Both Android Auto & CarPlay aren't compatible. Note no Equus models are shown on Hyundai's CarPlay or Android Auto pages.

Also straight from the horses mouth, these pages show 2015 and 2016 Genesis with 8" screen only are compatible for the still non-believers, dreamers:sneaky:

Apple CarPlay | HyundaiUSA.com

Android Auto – Available Now | HyundaiUSA.com

Arshad14

Genesis Model Type
Does anyone know if this update will work for Canadian 2015 Genesis models with the 8" screen without the knob? I can't register for MyHyundai since it requires a US address... Unless someone knows of a work around.

Arshad14

Genesis Model Type
Really appreciate giving me the link. I've asked all Hyundai dealers around me and they all say it is not possible. In any case, I went to that website, put my VIN in and said it was compatible. I tried to download but it would just bring me back to the same page asking me for the VIN again. Am I missing something?

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
The DIS hardware is not capable. Search this forum.
I don't think the system will recognize the upgrade.

What could possibly go wrong? You could brick the system.
That wouldn't be covered by warranty. IIRC, the replacement is around $4-5K. So why not give it shot! :biggrin:

Actually -
here is some background as to why.... the 2 different systems are totally different platforms.

The 8" system (non-ultimate) Android based, newer platform.
2015 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Android Infotainment

Your system - Intel Atom based... and it's an older platform
2015 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Atom Infotainment

So.. there is ZERO chance that the upgraded firmware for the Android based system will be accepted by the Intel Atom based unit.
Great information!!! The Ultimate system is very high end, but as usual windows OS limits mobile use. I have owned two Windows based smart phones and both was not as good as android phones in terms of application selection/use. The same for automotive functions as well it seems. Windows is very quick, but just have limited applications.
With that being said, the Windows based system has a lot of potential for future non-android upgrades like in the 12.5 update so we will see how things play out for it.

Last edited:

joep229

Really appreciate giving me the link. I've asked all Hyundai dealers around me and they all say it is not possible. In any case, I went to that website, put my VIN in and said it was compatible. I tried to download but it would just bring me back to the same page asking me for the VIN again. Am I missing something?
Did you say you found the info for the update on the MyHyundai web site? I just bought a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) 2015 Genesis (not the DIS model), replaced my old Hyundai info on the site with the info for the new car (mileage, vin# etc.) but couldn't find the download link to get the files required do the update(?). Strangely, I was able to do it on another 2015 just like mine a while back.