Android tablet in Genesis 09' - Replacing blue screen.

gearM

Registered Member
Russia
Today I'm finaly done with my android app. I'am using Arduino microcontroller to collect data and send it to the tablet. It takes me more than 2 month to complite the project.
It shows all blue screen info on my nexus 7 screen. There still some staff to do - have to figure out how the keyboard work to make some soft buttons. And sound mode screen is WIP now. But i can install tablet in car already. Enjoy the video. Say bye to Unavi)

daviderle

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Today I'm finaly done with my android app. I'am using Arduino microcontroller to collect data and send it to the tablet. It takes me more than 2 month to complite the project.
It shows all blue screen info on my nexus 7 screen. There still some staff to do - have to figure out how the keyboard work to make some soft buttons. And sound mode screen is WIP now. But i can install tablet in car already. Enjoy the video. Say bye to Unavi)

That is one hell of an incredible mod, well done mate!

where did you plug the Arduino microcontroller so are able to collect all this data?
I wonder if this mod is applicable to other trims?

I would replace the 4.6 tech LCD screen in a heart beat if there is anyway I can get all this data and run something else (say Waze) on the same tablet.

Please feel free to PM me if you are willing to share any of the technical details.

gearM

Registered Member
Russia
That is one hell of an incredible mod, well done mate!

where did you plug the Arduino microcontroller so are able to collect all this data?
I wonder if this mod is applicable to other trims?

I would replace the 4.6 tech LCD screen in a heart beat if there is anyway I can get all this data and run something else (say Waze) on the same tablet.

Please feel free to PM me if you are willing to share any of the technical details.

Hello!

It is not a secret about wiring, or data collection theory. I will not share IDs, CAN BUS messages, decoding methods and source codes. The reverse ingeneering takes me a hell lot of time so it has a price (I'm working on this project since december 2016).

So for data collecting you will need Arduino with can bus shield (don't use the cheap ones because some of them uses 8Mhz processors which is not supported by standart libraries). Shield has can high pin and can low pin. You have to wire them with the can high and can low (or can+ and can-) wires/pins on the back of your lcd/cdchanger unit. Than you can start collecting data. How to do it - you can google and make your own research, write a sketch for Arduino and so on. Or I can help you with this, check your PM.

After all data is collected and decoded, that's time for android app. I have made my own app, that communicates with Arduino via bluetooth. I can make an android app for tech package too, this is just a matter of time.

With TECH there is one difference - you will actually need 2 can bus shields, if you want to send (not only reciving) data from the tablet to can bus. Or you can use your LCD keyboard with only screen removed (replaced with tablet) to control your head unit.

P.S.
There is one person from U.S., who already bought my method for 2012 genesis 3,8 with blue screen. As soon, as he will get all hardware I've mentioned in the other thread we will get all Can data and I will make a software for his 2012 model year. Actually, now I can do it with any car, not only hyundai.

gearM

Registered Member
Russia
Hi guys!

Last news about my car PC development for Genesis sedan (1st gen).
I have installed Nexus 7 in my Genesis sedan 2009 and it works great.
The tablet is showing all information from the blue screen (climate control, ventilation, outside temperature, audio source, tracks and folders, setup menus, fm1, fm2 and am frequencies, numbers of CDs in CD changer. I do not have XM in my car but it is just a few hours work to add it in my android app. Also I added control buttons in my app to replace the OEM keyboard. Now I can fully control my head unit directly from the tablet.
Nexus 7 supports backup cameras (with help of Easycap device) and fast charge in the same time. With help of third party programs I have tuned my tablet the way I want. It is going to deep sleep when I am turning ACC off and waking up when I am starting the car.

Here is a video shows the final look of tablet installation in dush:

What else... Last week I have completed another project for Genesis sedan 2013 (for the guy from California). It is looks the same but the code and can bus staff are completely different. This project was for base package without amplifier and CD Changer but with XM radio and bluetooth. So now my system can be used in any 1st generation sedan and may need just some slight mods to add CD changer staff for 2013 program.

I was thinking to use OEM bezel from DIS-package (part number is 84743-3M800), but I found a tech package screen for a really good price so used it.

If you are interesting in installing tablet with my programs in your car feel free to PM me or ask here.

gearM

Registered Member
Russia
I've been asked so many times about how I've made installation of rear view camera in Genesis sedan without OEM camera (blue screen package).
So I want to share this for all of you guys right here.

I bought this camera from aliexpress (actually you can use any aftermarket camera you like).

To connect rear camera to android tablet you will need:

- y-otg cable (to be able use camera and charging at the same time);
- easyCap device (this one works pretty good)
- easycap viewer software from Google Play.
- an extra usb extension cable between easycap and otg-cable (you'll see why below);
- normaly open relay 12V to make easycap viewer pop up only when going reverse.

You can watch how to install rear view camera in this video from unavi.. I will only explain how to make it work with android tablet.

Do this:

- install your camera;
- install easycap viewer from Google Play on your tablet;
- connect y-otg cable to your tablet;
- connect video cable to your easycap device;
- connect your easycap device to your tablet via otg-cable.

At this point easycap viewer window should pop up. And you'll see black screen. It is ok.
Now if you'll switch your gear to R you should see picture from your rear camera on the screen.

Now we want to make viewer pop up only when going reverse.
For that purpose we have to remove isolation from extra usb cable I told you about in the begining and find red wire (power). Cut it. Connect one end of red wire to one of normaly open releay contact and another end of red wire to another contact. Connect signal wire of your video cable to relay's +12V and use some extra wire to connect relay's GND to the ground (use any bolt or nut in your car - there are a lot places under the dush). Now connect easycap to y-otg cable through extra usb-cable.

This is it. Now easycap viewer will pop up only when you are going reverse.

Last edited:

GenesisChris

Hasn't posted much yet...
Very nice setup! Definitely something to be proud of!

iSOBigD

Registered Member
Amazing work so far! How does this work with regular Android apps? Basically, I like the system in the fully equipped/tech package models, but I wish it simply allowed the use of google maps/waze since those are up-to-date and free.

gearM

Registered Member
Russia
Amazing work so far! How does this work with regular Android apps? Basically, I like the system in the fully equipped/tech package models, but I wish it simply allowed the use of google maps/waze since those are up-to-date and free.
Here is a small demonstration of 3 navi programs installed in my car (yandex navigator, hud speed antiradar and navitel). I like android system cuz you can use any navi program you like.

GenHoss

GearM,

I have some questions for you, I am seriously considering this option as an upgrade the base 7 stereo sucks. Especially Bluetooth connection for pandora isn't as loud as radio.

Questions
1. Can an IPad mini be used or just android? I was going to add cellular service to device.

2. Bluetooth calls through the system for hands free calls work through this system?

3. Am I able to add an amp and upgrade the systems audio components? (My speakers pop)

4. Is there a way to get rid of knobs and buttons and do a flush mount or device drop in install? Rather than search for used tech pack dash, or do we need the knobs and buttons vs. touchscreen controls+steering controls?

5. Wait! How are able to navigate with no cellular service or do you have it on device? I got the radio and all the base functions but how are you doing data and navigation?

I have a 2013 Genesis 3.8 base package, I was thinking of a flush or inset IPad mini no knobs or buttons (I use apple platform vs. droid) but I am not opposed to droid platform.

Last edited:

gearM

Registered Member
Russia
GearM,

I have some questions for you, I am seriously considering this option as an upgrade the base 7 stereo sucks. Especially Bluetooth connection for pandora isn't as loud as radio.

Questions
1. Can an IPad mini be used or just android? I was going to add cellular service to device.

2. Bluetooth calls through the system for hands free calls work through this system?

3. Am I able to add an amp and upgrade the systems audio components? (My speakers pop)

4. Is there a way to get rid of knobs and buttons and do a flush mount or device drop in install? Rather than search for used tech pack dash, or do we need the knobs and buttons vs. touchscreen controls+steering controls?

5. Wait! How are able to navigate with no cellular service or do you have it on device? I got the radio and all the base functions but how are you doing data and navigation?

I have a 2013 Genesis 3.8 base package, I was thinking of a flush or inset IPad mini no knobs or buttons (I use apple platform vs. droid) but I am not opposed to droid platform.

1. It is just android.
2. Bluetooth calls work fine. Actually every function of OEM system is working fine. You see - my program is showing all data from OEM blue screen.
3. You'd better ask this in audio shop. I think it is possible (I have made this kind of installation in azera TG).
4. You can use the OEM bazel without buttons (part number is 84743 3M800). I didn't use it since I already had one you saw in the video. But i don't use my bazel's buttons - there are touch buttons in the program.
5. I don't have cellular service on device. There are 3 navi programs preinstalled from google play market with maps. To update maps or use traffic service I am using wifi. If your tablet has sim-card slot than you can use it for internet connection. My nexus 7 (2012 model) doesn't have one.

Last edited:

GenHoss

OUTSTANDING!

Wow! $13 bucks for the bezel plus ship and handling, so how much all in to run this setup? And what do I need to order? I am in

My last concern is heat and functions, it gets warm here in summertime, so dash gets hot if parked in sun. Thus being able to still run functions, and electronics melting. But I could be goofy thinking about this.

gearM

Registered Member
Russia
To run this setup you will need all hardware from this list:
- can bus shield - http://s.aliexpress.com/aYbmeuEJ
- arduino uno r3 (clone) - http://s.aliexpress.com/zENV3eAb
- bluetooth module hc-05. - http://s.aliexpress.com/EN3AZnQR
- power adaptor/converter 12v to 5v (better to buy 2 of those) - http://s.aliexpress.com/22uaaEJ7
- otg/power usb cable - http://s.aliexpress.com/amURreaM
- connecting wires - http://s.aliexpress.com/3UFVJFVV

Also you need android tablet of your choice with android 4.4.2 or higher (I prefer Nexus 7).

I am not sure if I can post commercial invoice here so just contact me by email - sol.sel@mail.ru and I will give you your price. Every person who bought my apps uses paypal and I think this is the best way to work with.

P.s. - I am in Sochi right now and temperature here is pretty high too - 40C (104F). Everything is working fine so far.

Last edited:

gearM

Registered Member
Russia
Hello everybody. Today I’am releasing demo version of my project. This demo will show you airflow direction.

Download demo APK

Screenshot_20170918-094858.jpg

Here some instructions on how to run this setup.

I'm using Windows 7, so instruction will be written for that system. It may be a little bit different for another OS.

- Download Arduino IDE and install it.
- Get drivers for your Chinese arduino clone.
- Install drivers for arduino clone (you can watch this video on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivUjc4kjeg8)
- Plug in Arduino clone to your PC's USB port.
- Chose Arduino UNO in Arduino IDE (the driver installation video shows the menu where to choose your UNO).
- Add canbus library in Arduino IDE (CAN_BUS_Shield.zip). To do this go to the menu sketch->include library -> add zip library.
- When Arduino is connected to USB, choose your arduino COM port in Arduino IDE.
- In Arduino IDE open the sketch named demoRev.ino.
Press Upload button to upload sketch to Arduino.
- Cut P1 connection with a sharp knife as shown on the attached picture:
CutPic.jpg

Lets connect Arduino to your car.

- You need to get to the back of your blue screen. You can also watch this video of Unavi installation. It shows the process in details. (Actually, there is Can high and Can low pins on the back of CD-changer unit too, but I don’t have wiring diagram for it right now).
- When you'll reach the blue screen, remove it and disconnect from the pin con-nector. Now you need to connect two extra wires – one to Can High wire and another to Can Low wire. Check picture in attachment to figure out where those wires are.
Pinout.jpg
The other end of extra wires should be connected to can high and can low connectors of your can bus shield.
- When it's done, put your blue screen back.

Connect Bluetooth HC module to your shield this way:

Arduino Pins Bluetooth Pins
RX (Pin 0) ———-> TX
TX (Pin 1) ———-> RX
5V ———-> VCC
GND ———-> GND

This is it. Now power up your Arduino with shield and run android app. Have fun.

Last edited:

nam

seattle
i just bought an 09 4.6 with tech pack and the ipod system in the car doesnt work. i prefer android anyway and i was wondering what to do to replace the whole system.
Thanks

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums