• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Any experience Acura TLX > G70?

lindros2

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
My parents are looking at a Genesis (hence my earlier post).
Anyone here go from an Acura TLX?
Good/bad/indifferent?

Note that I've driven the 2.0T and 3.3T, and believe the 4-cylinder will be plenty for them.

ikonn

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
2016 TLX V6 SH-AWD vs
2019 3.3T AWD G70

G70 >>>>>> TLX

Not even close.

Can’t speak about the 4 cylinder performance.

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Winnipeg
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The only thing that would give me pause is Honda/Acura legendary reliability and the nice sounding V6.. G70 reliability is TBD.

Otherwise, no contest.

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I test drove an Acura TLX A-spec awhile back and I remember I liked the car. Obviously I liked the G70 more.

HOWEVER, I usually tend to recommend the safe-choice car to non-car people. Though I've heard of a few reliability problems with the TLX (which may have since been resolved), if they really don't care it might still make sense to recommend the car that will be the most reliable.

Or just tell them to get a Camry, because Toyota.

lindros2

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I think folks don’t understand.
my parents have a TLX. it’s time to replace it.
they hate SUVs and the G70 is the right size.
HAS anyone replaced an Acura TL or TLX with the G70?

Terdbath

Registered Member
Just traded in a 2018 V6 AWD A-Spec for a G70 Sport AWD.

I think anyone including your parents would like the G70. Its just as quite on the highway, no rattles, and nice materials. It is smaller than a TLX but other than that I would say the G70 is an upgrade in technology and interior design and materials. The touch screen radio unit, heads up display, and the larger sunroof are welcome upgrades over the TLX as well. Safety systems seem similar to me so far. (Lane keep assist, rear cross traffic alert, surround view camera, etc...)

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
is rear seat room important to them? ingress/egress? trunk size? these are the things I bet your parents care more about than anything else. They need to test drive it to see if the size works for them.

mrcleeaan

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I did..kind of... didn't replace cause I still have the 06 TL (6sp manual). Bought it brand new and going to keep it till I can no longer fix it. 😃

Power to power, you can't compare the two. Totally different class of cars (rwd vs fwd) and turbo vs naturally aspirated. I do enjoy driving both though. If the G70 3.3t came in a manual... It would be so much more fun to drive than it already is.

And yes, I've driven the 2.0t too and as you mentioned, it may be more than enough for them, however, let them try both and see which they'd prefer.

My main issue right now is I just can't get comfortable in the driver's seat. I'd recommend taking an extended test drive or just sit in it for a really long time.

Last edited:

lindros2

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
My main issue right now is I just can't get comfortable in the driver's seat. I'd recommend taking an extended test drive or just sit in it for a really long time.
Very interesting comment.
I had the $2000 comfort seats in my BMW’s, but never felt comfortable (the articulating top-half of the seatback was more gimmick than comfort to me).
So... thank you so much.

lindros2

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
is rear seat room important to them? ingress/egress? trunk size? these are the things I bet your parents care more about than anything else. They need to test drive it to see if the size works for them.
1. Rear seat room = no
2. Ingress/egress = no (they’re in their 60s, so still very mobile)
3. Trunk size = somewhat

Does the G70 have a fold-down rear seat? I looked and couldn’t find anything on genesis.com or here...

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I had a TL SH-AWD. Width of the G70 is a tad bit smaller on the inside. 74" vs 72.8". Can't be felt in the front armrest though as you will barely touch your passengers elbows. The TL had lots of body flares. The TLX is 1" narrower than the TL so interior width with the G70 will be identical.
My TL was 194" long. The G70 is 184" so the back is tighter but not by much since the TL had excessive body work that jutted out. The TLX is about 3" shorter than the TL but the back seat area is roomier on the TLX thanks to the smaller drive shaft tunnel since they replaced the SH-AWD unit to hydraulic.
Overall, the G70 is really front passenger car. I have a 10 year old and 4 year old and if you have your seat back far enough, you can feel the kids kicking the back of it.
I have yet to clean the interior of my car but I wipe down the back panel of my front seat often cause of the shoe prints on it.
It's not so much that the rear legroom is tight, it is more so how low the front seats are that makes the rear legroom feel tight!

ikonn

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
As I said, G70 3.3 >>> TLX V6.

I’ve had a 2006 TL V6 FWD and a 2016 TLX V6 SH-AWD.

The TL always felt like it was riding on rails and the design was a classic. But what a big disappointment the TLX was.

Despite the ugly beak, I got the TLX because I was looking forward to more power from the V6, the double infotainment screens, the 9 speed auto, no shift lever and the AWD. All great on paper and the car seemed ok during the test drive.

But I quickly found out that: the extra power did not compensate for the extra weight, the infotainment software was old, slow, and with very average resolution and ugly fonts, the 9 speed was not close to sporty (some people had big issues with certain gear changes, mine was ok), and the funky push button transmission thingy was a pain in the ass. The AWD seemed good but honestly, having been in AWDs from Audi, Lexus, Cadillac, Volvo and Porsche, I never felt the ‘Super’ in the SH-AWD. But hey, I’m not an expert.

So overall the TLX probably had a reliable engine and would have been an ok, average car. Better than a Camry!

But, but, but...,my TLX suffered from an inherent chassis vibration that Acura could never fix despite multiple TSB recalls and lots of time in the shop. Give the dealer credit, they certainly tried hard (plus they had a great coffee machine) but ultimately Honda Canada told them to stop and said the vibration was ‘normal’. Sure.

I got out of that car as soon as I could and stepped into the G70.

I think the design of the new TLX is much better, the A Spec cosmetics look great and I have not seen lots of issues re transmission or vibration on their forums recently so maybe the kinks have been worked out. But the new Accord seems to have better technology which goes against my expectations of a luxury brand. And there is no way you could ever compare honda’s NA V6 to the 3.3 twin turbo. Not even close.

Acura does have Genesis beat with their dealership experience (damn that coffee and lounge was as nice vs the completely not luxury Hyundai dealerships) but I will have have a hard time trusting Acura again.

Hope your parents find a car they enjoy.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

The TL always felt like it was riding on rails and the design was a classic. But what a big disappointment the TLX was.

Despite the ugly beak, I got the TLX because I was looking forward to more power from the V6, the double infotainment screens, the 9 speed auto, no shift lever and the AWD. All great on paper and the car seemed ok during the test drive.

But I quickly found out that: the extra power did not compensate for the extra weight, the infotainment software was old, slow, and with very average resolution and ugly fonts, the 9 speed was not close to sporty (some people had big issues with certain gear changes, mine was ok), and the funky push button transmission thingy was a pain in the ass. The AWD seemed good but honestly, having been in AWDs from Audi, Lexus, Cadillac, Volvo and Porsche, I never felt the ‘Super’ in the SH-AWD. But hey, I’m not an expert.

So overall the TLX probably had a reliable engine and would have been an ok, average car. Better than a Camry!

But, but, but...,my TLX suffered from an inherent chassis vibration that Acura could never fix despite multiple TSB recalls and lots of time in the shop. Give the dealer credit, they certainly tried hard (plus they had a great coffee machine) but ultimately Honda Canada told them to stop and said the vibration was ‘normal’. Sure.

I got out of that car as soon as I could and stepped into the G70.

I think the design of the new TLX is much better, the A Spec cosmetics look great and I have not seen lots of issues re transmission or vibration on their forums recently so maybe the kinks have been worked out. But the new Accord seems to have better technology which goes against my expectations of a luxury brand. And there is no way you could ever compare honda’s NA V6 to the 3.3 twin turbo. Not even close.

Acura does have Genesis beat with their dealership experience (damn that coffee and lounge was as nice vs the completely not luxury Hyundai dealerships) but I will have have a hard time trusting Acura again.

The TLX was a downgrade from the 4th Gen TL in terms of SH-AWD. It was very reactive since they cheapest out and used a hydraulic based unit which was also much weaker. The previous Gen had a very robust electromagnetic unit that was telepathic. The newer ones were detuned as well to prevent overheating.
a shame really.
It was the biggest reason I didn’t get into one after my TL even though they have me a sweet deal on the A-Spec. It just drove so inferior!

ventogt

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Despite the ugly beak, I got the TLX because I was looking forward to more power from the V6, the double infotainment screens, the 9 speed auto, no shift lever and the AWD. All great on paper and the car seemed ok during the test drive....

Acura/Honda needs to take a hard look back to their glory days of the 90s and early 2000s and realize THAT is how their cars should look. Clean, simple, timeless. There have been 2 [maybe 3?] solid generations of shit looking vehicles that I just cannot comprehend. The new Accord looks pretty good from most angles despite the weird "overbite" front angle. All of the Japanese manufacturers bar Mazda need to tone it the F down--more people would buy their cars if they looked less like Transformers.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums